Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Procardia  (Read 2770 times)

Chachamcmuff

• View Profile
Procardia
« on: October 08, 2015 at 08:48 PM »
Can anyone shed some light on Procardia for me? I have frequent contractions, on bed rest at 26 weeks. I'm confused how it works. It stops false labor but not real labor?? How does it make you feel? I just took my first pill and am nervous. Thanks

Jralex

• View Profile
Re: Procardia
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015 at 01:09 AM »
I've been on it for 2.5 weeks.  It lowers your blood pressure to slow down contractions. It makes my heart race, gives me insomnia, and sometimes gives me headaches. Not fun, but definitely worth it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015 at 03:11 PM by Jralex »

jensine449

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015 at 02:37 PM »
Good morning!

Procardia was my friend for a long time--I'll share my experience!

At 26 weeks I landed in the hospital with spotting and constant contractions. I was in a distant city for work so they sent me home with orders to see my doc. Within a few days of arriving home, contractions were intense and 2-3 minutes apart. I went to L&D at home and spent 24 hours being monitored, FFN, cervical check, etc. they sent me home with 30mg Procardia extended release 2x daily. Doc explained that it's a smooth muscle relaxer that is usually administered for blood pressure but that works to calm the uterus (another smooth muscle). After about 4 weeks and increased afternoon contractions, I was upped to 3x daily.

At 35 weeks my doctor weaned me off and as of Friday, 36 weeks, I'm completely off Procardia. I did modified bedrest from 26 weeks to today. I've been given the greenlight to increase my activity which I'm doing, but with lots of resting due to contractions--I'm already 2cm dilated and doc said to "stay pregnant" til 37.

Procardia worked great for me! In conjunction with modified bedrest and laying low. Now that I'm off of it, contractions aren't super intense like I feared. I didn't have any side effects with Procardia. Except for a raging headache for the first four days. The headache has never returned. Some women report feeling lightheaded, so before I get out of bed, I would sit up for about 20 seconds. But I never felt lightheaded. For my irritable uterus, it was a miracle worker! But everyone has different results. Hope that helps!

heavenbound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015 at 12:38 AM »
Procardia has been helpful for my contractions. I've been on it for over 3 months and the only side effects I've had are full headaches and tiredness the first week or so. After that, no headaches or drowsiness and I couldn't even tell I was on medication other than having drastically decreased contractions!
Holding on to God's Promises,

Shannon Faith

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

Chachamcmuff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015 at 12:40 AM »
Your story sounds so similar to mine, I'm so happy you've made it as far as you have! I contract constantly, tiny things will set it off. Like having a full bladder. Laying low has definitely helped. I've noticed a huge difference. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate all the positivity and support!

heavenbound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015 at 12:47 AM »
Little things really set my contractions off too. Having an empty bladder was helpful as was staying super hydrated and laying down as much as possible...plus being stress free! You're going to make it moms so keep up the great work....and YES bedrest is very HARD work so don't let your mind tell you anything different!!
Holding on to God's Promises,

Shannon Faith

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

Carinotwins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015 at 03:00 PM »
Hi! Been on it for 6weeks now. Same as Jralex, gives me headache sometimes but def insomnia, heartbeat fast but it did slow down my contractions. They are not totally gone though but worth it.