Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Tips for hips?  (Read 2896 times)

Luvmytieren

• View Profile
Tips for hips?
« on: May 09, 2010 at 03:53 PM »
Hey ladies!  This is my 3rd baby but 1st on such an extended bedrest.  I am 22 weeks and have been on bed rest for 10 weeks now.  I have always experienced hip pain as my hips begin to spread towards the end of my pregnancies but not usually until about 7 months or so when the baby is bigger.  But I have already started to experience hip pain at 5 months!  Especially at night.  I am wondering if the difference is the fact that I am on bedrest and not utilizing the muscles and bones the same way (or any way at all!).  Havy any of you experienced the same early on due to bedrest?  Any tips for me outside of heat?  HELP!

ladygartman

• View Profile
Re: Tips for hips?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010 at 11:01 AM »
I am coming up on nine weeks of hospital bed rest and I have experienced a lot of hip pain as well.  I started bed rest at 26 weeks, and I am in my 35th.  Whenever I shift my weight in bed or get up to go to walk tot the bathroom it aches a lot.  It has been hard to find a comfortable position to be in because it seems like even if I find one, if I stay in one position too long it hurts anyway.  At night I have found that sleeping with a pillow between my legs helps align my hips better and I am in less pain when I wake up in the morning.  I really don't have any other advice for you, as I have trouble with it myself.  I just wanted to say that I'm right there with ya, and I agree that maybe you're having more pain earlier on in your pregnancy because of being on bed rest.  This is my first pregnancy so I can't compare my timing of hip pain to anything else.  But it seems to make sense that your earlier pain might be caused by the lack of movement and being in one position for longer periods of time.

drapkowicz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010 at 11:16 AM »
I hear you ladies!! I had hip and lower back pain at about 5 months too, before bedrest.  The doc said it's usually very common in women who have been pregnant before because their muscles are already stretched.  I think the bedrest has not helped the situation either.  I too wake up and look like a 90 yr old hobbling to the bathroom!!  My husband teases me!! Not much seems to help me either, i do try to keep the pillow between the knees at night, but its not a miracle worker!! Look forward to hearing any other suggestions!!

Luvmytieren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010 at 01:49 PM »
Okay ladies.  I think I may be onto something but it's only been a few nights.  I have one of those herbal heat backs.  It's like a bean bag but it's full of flowers, herbs, and buchwheat.  You heat it up for 2 minute in the microwave and it steams a bit and delivers more of a moist heat.  Well for the last 2 nights I have put it on my hips before bed and sleeping has been much more comfortable!  Of Lord!  Please let this be the solution!  It doesn't get rid of the pain completely but it helps dramtically.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!

http://heatmakessense.com/

Margaret