Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Cervical Length Measurements - How often?  (Read 6221 times)

amykookykat

• Standing or sitting when not lying down...
    • View Profile
    • Amy's Blog
Cervical Length Measurements - How often?
« on: October 27, 2015 at 03:37 PM »
I had a cervical length measurement last week in the doctor's office before they sent me off to the hospital, and it didn't change much when they did another scan after the course of magnesium sulfate (2.2cm is what they said).  I've been on nifedipine and vaginal progesterone since, but no one has mentioned getting checked further for cervical length.  I'm wondering if is that pretty typical?  I know my cervix isn't super super short, but the only thing I have to compare to is last pregnancy (I was 1.5cm and funneling at 27 weeks). 

How often is everyone having measurements done?  Is there a point where they aren't so concerned (like if it isn't changing rapidly?)?

~Amy

Mommy of 4?!?

Daniel - 7/9/08 @ 38w4d
Jared - 3/11/11 @ 38w1d
Kaitlyn - 8/8/13 @ 37w (my bedrest baby!)
Laurel - 2/2/16 @ 38w2d (my 2nd bedrest baby!)

Kmuss

• View Profile
Re: Cervical Length Measurements - How often?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015 at 04:32 PM »
I think it is different for everyone. My cervical checks (preventative) were every 4 weeks along with growth scans. Then at 22 weeks, when it started shortening, I was switched to weekly checks and put on progesterone and bed rest. After 4 weeks of weekly checks they determined it was stable and now I am at bi-weekly checks. If it stays stable for a couple of those, they will put me back on every 4 week checks when I get my growth scans, especially since cervical length measurements aren't extremely accurate in late pregnancy. I think it depends on your history, your specific situation, and your doctor's policies.

Beth_Stack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015 at 09:23 AM »
Hi. My pregnancy was considered high risk from the start, due to my history, so the MFM doc wanted my cervix measured at 18 & 24 wks. It was fine at 18 & short at 24, so it was remeasured at 25. It was holding steady, so I haven't had another ultra since then (27 wks now). MFM also said that they generally don't continue regular scans for cervical length after about 28 wks. My regular OB has been checking weekly for thinning & dilation since 16 wks, though, and will continue to do that. I do think it's different for everyone, depending on your history and current circumstances.

Jonesjenny78

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015 at 12:01 PM »
My short cervix was discovered around 18 weeks, currently at 22 weeks and stable with a 1.6 measurement.  I've been getting weekly checks and will continue to do so for two more weeks. High risk docs say after I reach 24 weeks, I should be able to go to checks every two weeks. On week 4 of bed rest  and progesterone, just hoping to stay stable now!

babsmypoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015 at 12:31 PM »
Hi Amy! I think it is different with every doctor at 19.5 weeks my cervix was down to 1.03cm so they had me at once a week checks until my cervix stabilized & increased in length. I get checked every two weeks until my 32 week appointment thatll be the last time they measure

Jralex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015 at 10:20 AM »
Hi! I'm pregnant with twins so I'm not sure if it's different but mine was found to be 1.5cm at 22 weeks. It went down to 1cm at 23 weeks and kept going down at every weekly check. My most recent was only .4cm at almost 28 weeks. She's not checking me again for two weeks this time because of being at 28 weeks. 

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015 at 07:05 AM »
Doctors said they would stop measuring my cervix at 24-26 weeks....is this normal? As I'm a high risk due to previous loss at 22 weeks I thought they would carry on.

If I get stopped at 24 weeks, how will they know what's going on? I won't know if I'm funnelling down to the stitch or if to change to strict bedrest? They are said that as I have a stitch and on progesterone there's nothing more that they can physically do which is not what I want to here.

Any advice? Most ladies on here are getting checks a long time after he 24week mark.

Kmuss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015 at 06:10 PM »
It is true unfortunately that there isn't much else they can do but monitor it once they're at the point of the cerclage, bed rest, and progesterone. I guess the benefit of continuing to monitor cervical length after that point is (like you said) knowing if you should be on strict or hospital bed rest instead of modified. My only advice would be to get very very specific information from them on what you need to look out for as signs that things might be progressing and what the "red flags" are, so to speak, that should send you straight to L&D. With your history, and your experience this pregnancy, I am sure that if you were contracting or feeling pressure, etc. they would check you right away. My MFM has not discussed with me how long they will take cervical length measurements, but I also see them for growth scans so I am guessing they might continue until I deliver since I will be there anyway. I guess every doctor and practice is different though! I think the best thing to do is just to be open with your doctor and tell them that you feel a little unsure and nervous about stopping the monitoring now, and ask them the same question you asked here! It is a good question "how will I know?" and hopefully they will have a good answer for you!!

Anne23

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015 at 01:32 PM »
JARLAX--I'm also pregnant with twins.  At 20 weeks, I measured at 1.7 cm.  I was placed on modified bed rest and have weekly cervix checks until I'm 25 weeks and then I think it changes to every other week checks.  I'm on progesterone injections once a week to help prevent preterm labor.  The doctor said if my cervix length becomes less than 1 cm, they would consider placing a cerclage, but of course there are risks involved with that procedure too.  I'm just wondering if they told you anything different?

Jralex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015 at 02:09 PM »
Anne23,  mine was less than 1cm by 24 weeks but both doctors felt that a cerclage was too risky with a twin pregnancy.  They were very concerned about introducing infection or for my water to break too early. I continued weekly checks until this week, 30 weeks. They found it open though this time so I'm not getting anymore cervix checks. I do have to start NSTs twice a week though.  I've been on very strict bed rest since 22 weeks. I only get up to use the bathroom or shower. My husband brings me all of my meals. I'm also taking procardia 10mg every 6 hours. Are you contracting? The procardia helps a lot. Without that and bed rest, I don't think I would still be pregnant right now.

Anne23

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015 at 11:41 AM »
Jralex--That's awesome that u have made it to 30 weeks.   On Tuesday, I had,a repeat cervix check and measured at 0.7 cm.  I chose to have a cerclage  placed even though there were the risks.  I'm now 23 weeks pregnant with twins.  The doctor doesn't want strict bed rest due to risks of blood clots, but they want me to sit or lie down as much as possible.   Doctor said that risk of infection or spontaneous rupture of membranes usually occurs in the first 2 weeks, so fingers are crossed that this doesn't happen.  Luckily, I have been showing no signs of preterm labor.  Hoping to get to my first goal of 28 weeks.

Kmuss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015 at 09:33 AM »
Jralex, everytime I see one of your posts I learn a new similarity in our stories haha. I am also done with cervix checks as of the 30 week mark last week (mine is not open yet but it is less than 0.5cm and they don't want to disturb it because I have started spotting after vaginal exams lately) and am now getting 2 NSTs weekly, plus a biophysical profile. My bed rest also came at 22 weeks.

We are getting there girls, keep hanging on and think strong-cervix thoughts! :)

Jralex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015 at 11:40 AM »
Kmuss, that's crazy how similar we are! It will be so funny if we deliver on the same day. Haha!