Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Shoulder pain. Need a new position.  (Read 3620 times)

LadyMtBiker

• View Profile
Shoulder pain. Need a new position.
« on: May 08, 2010 at 10:14 PM »
In what positions do you sleep/lie?

I've been on bedrest for about 3 weeks now and my shoulders are staring to feel it.

I'm lying and sleeping on my sides often since we're not supposed to be on our backs (due to the large vein on our backs).

Sometimes, I will get on all fours and just put my head to the ground for a new position... also gets weight off cervix.

And, I sleep in the "runner position" described in The Bradley Method as one of the positions to relax in during labor.  This one has helped me the most, I think.

But, I need a new position... what do you do?

MVetter1211

• View Profile
Re: Shoulder pain. Need a new position.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010 at 07:28 AM »
My hips are what is killing me!  I don't really know any other positions you could try.  I know for me personally I have to switch from side to side frequently because my hips will start hurting really bad.  Sometimes I sleep with a pillow between my legs and that makes things more comfortable but sometimes it just gets in the way.

LadyMtBiker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010 at 11:33 AM »
Ah yes, my hips too!  I feel it.

The 'runners position' helps with that (hips, shoulders, etc).
The purpose of that position is to aid in circulation and reduce stress or strain on the body parts.  I notice less strain on the hips and shoulders because it sorta tilts them.  But, it's best for sleeping and relaxing in... (and of course, labor).  So, I need a new position that still allows me to do stuff.

Maybe I need a new pillow for my shoulders.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010 at 03:25 PM »
Like both of you, I just tried to switch sides often and moved various pillows and folded blankets around a lot. I stayed on my sides as much as I could stand it, though sometimes I would sit up just enough that I wasn't putting pressure on the veins in my back and still not putting pressure on my cervix. It's kind of like bending at the rib cage, if you can picture that. ??? Sort of like this: ____%   lol

Does anyone else have suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010 at 03:32 PM by Angela »

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010 at 09:53 AM »
I asked the creator of the Bedrest Fitness DVD what she suggested. Her response on Twitter:

From @mamasonbedrest: If she doesn't have one already, i recommend the Womb 4 Two pillow. It is the best for support & relieving pressure.

Here's a link: http://bit.ly/b7a3Ly

Luvmytieren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010 at 01:51 PM »
I was having the same issue and the last few nights I have been applying these herbal heat packs to my hips before bed and I've slept so much better!  You just heat it up in the microwave for 2 minutes and it steams a bit and delivers a moist heat.  Again, it's only been a few nights but a great few nights!  Give it a try!

http://heatmakessense.com/

Margaret