Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Monday Roll Call for November 16, 2015 -- Important Info  (Read 3688 times)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Monday Roll Call for November 16, 2015 -- Important Info
« on: November 16, 2015 at 09:24 AM »
Hello, my dears!
Tomorrow is World Prematurity Day! If you have a blog or a social media account, post about it. Follow along on Twitter (#WorldPrematurityDay) and Facebook, starting with the March of Dimes (@MODhealthtalk; https://www.facebook.com/marchofdimes), who will lead you to other blogs, tweets and posts.

I'll be attending the Preterm Birth Prevention Conference in Arlington, VA tomorrow, so we won't be having a Live Chat. I'll be tweeting from the conference, so follow me on Twitter: @KeepEmCookin

Last announcement: Last week an article titled "The Bed-Rest Hoax" was published by Harper's Magazine. Women experiencing high-risk pregnancies need support, not ridicule. A few quotes:
“Through some combination of ignorance and wishful thinking, bed rest survives.”

"These testimonials motivate bedridden mothers to keep going, to believe in their own ability to change the course of their pregnancy..."

PLEASE share my blog post on your personal timelines and post links to my article on social media and in chat rooms. We have to balance what irresponsible writers and editors are putting out there with headlines and articles like the one in Harper's. My goal is that when someone types in "Bed-Rest Hoax" that my blog post will appear within those Google results. Thank you!
The article: http://harpers.org/archive/2015/12/the-bed-rest-hoax/
My blog post response:
http://www.keepemcookin.com/the-bed-rest-hoax-half-truths-and-hype-from-harpers/

Please add your comments to the bottom of my blog post. Thank you!!!

Keep 'em cookin', mamas!

Angela

JoansJojo

• View Profile
Re: Monday Roll Call for November 16, 2015 -- Important Info
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015 at 04:16 AM »
Hello ladies! How are you doing this week?

Today is the World Prematurity Day. This year this day has a different meaning for us beacause we are trying to cook our babies to full term or close.

Last week i had my 32 week growth scan and baby boy is big like his daddy!!! He now weights 2,5 quilos (5lb 5 oz) and he is in the 92 percentile! He always measured big! Yesterday i hit 33 weeks and had my doctors appointment. I have one more week of total bedrest than at 34 weeks i can walk a little around the house and at 35 weeks i can go outside! I really need a haircut!!! My cervix has decreased a little bit but its still 27mm and closed.

Im also starting to wean off my medication (procardia) wich makes me nervous! I hope the contractions dont start all over again.

How are you ladies haging on?

Happy week for all of us! :)

Kmuss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015 at 08:47 AM »
Hey gals!! Joansjojo, I love reading the good update! So encouraging seeing those big strong babies and know what we are fighting for! How wonderful about your cervix too, and you are so close to getting a little freedom! Just awesome!  ;D

Definitely approaching World Prematurity Day with a new attitude this year, know that there is a chance my little guy might be a preemie. Thankful that I have made it to where I am, but fully understand and respecting the journey that may be coming!

I am 30 weeks and 2 days today!  8) I am at a point in pregnancy I didn't think I would see, and I am so grateful for the giant belly and uncomfy sleep and constant pee breaks, because it reminds me that my body is beating the odds!

I got a bad update at my MFM last week unfortunately, and was put back on weekly appointments. My cervix is now measuring 0.5 cm, but my doctor, the tech, my husband, and myself were all shocked when the doctor examined me and it was closed. SO thankful! I was also put on the contraction monitor again and was not contracting, so that is another victory. I get rechecked Thursday and I also go to my regular OB on Friday and he will be doing an FFN. Crossing my fingers for a negative result so I can get a little peace of mind through Thanksgiving :) The doctor set the goal of hitting 32 weeks, so I am focusing on that for now, but still hoping to meet/exceed my original goal of 34 weeks.

On a fun note, I got a 3D/4D ultrasound last week and we got to see our little guy. He was all snuggled up to the placenta, but we got this adorable shot of him stroking his chin and just fell in love with it! We are so excited to meet him, and it looks like he is going to look like daddy!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015 at 08:49 AM by Kmuss »

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015 at 09:51 PM »
Oh, my goodness Kmuss! He is already absolutely adorable!!!

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015 at 04:47 AM »
Joansjojo - what brilliant news, baby a lovely weight already and your cervix length is brilliant. Must be so nice to get nearly to the finish line? Wat you going to do first when you go out? Do you feel abit more relaxed getting to this stage?

Kmuss - so hope and pray your appointments are good this week, been following your story and also told my husband about you. I'm sure you will hit the 32 mark and will continue. Please keep us updated?

I'm 20 weeks and 4 days today, getting close to the first milestone of 24 weeks which is a big challenge for me. Lost our son at 22 weeks on 1st Dec last year (same gestation dates as 2nd baby) so it's going to be a tough few weeks for me. Next cervical scan is in 1.5weeks. Can't believe I started this journey at 14weeks.

Beth_Stack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015 at 05:28 AM »
Hey, ladies!
     Another week down! I'm 30 wks and 1 day today, which is such a relief! I'm so not ready to deliver anytime soon, though! I'm starting to get nervous because I'm not being checked weekly since I'm already 1 cm dilated (hands-off approach is fine with me...don't want to encourage anything!). And I'm starting to feel like I'm carrying really low. Plus, with my son, I only made it 2 1/2 more weeks on bedrest after I had started to dilate...and it's been about that long now. Trying not to psych myself out and to stay focused on the fact that another few weeks, at least, is certainly a realistic goal.

Great to read your positive stories! Kmuss:  Hang in there...34 weeks is within reach!!! Joansjojo:  Congrats on your big boy and being able to do a little more very soon! Natlg:  I hope the next few weeks fly by for you; it'll be week 24 before you know it!

Good luck at your upcoming appointments, everyone! Can't wait to read more promising updates!  :)

JoansJojo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015 at 09:13 AM »
Hello again ladies! So good to hear from you!

Natlg: The first thing i wanna do is a haircut!! My hair is so long and messed up!! :) You know it seems that i always found myself worriyng about something... This week was all about my baby hiccups! He has hiccups 3 or 4 times a day and i was worried that if maybe it is too much! I kept googling and worriyng until my doctors appointment! So stupid of me! Sometimes its hard do keep up with the "zen" state of mind... But talking with you ladies helps a lot!

Kmuss and Beth_Stack:  30 weeks its a huge milestone! We should celebrate!!! Uhhuhhh  I bet you can do 32 weeks and then we aime to 34 weeks! And we will be here to see it and cheer! :) One day at a time....

Natlg: 24 is just around the corner. You have done so much already! Its amazing and inspiring! I am sorry for your lost. I wanna hear good news after your cervix check up. Im sending good vibes and ill be thinking of you!

Lets keep the spirits high ladies! :)

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015 at 11:21 AM »
Thanks you both, your words keep me going for another week. So appreciative of the support and this forum.

Bring on another week mommies, we can do this ????????

Kmuss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015 at 12:20 PM »
Angela-- thanks so much! We were just giddy over that sweet shot!

Natlg-- Thanks girlie! You are such a trooper already, being almost 7 weeks in. That 24 week milestone is going to feel SO good. Make sure you celebrate every stepping stone along the way. I will be thinking of you and praying for you as that hard time approaches for you, I am so sorry for your pain. I feel like next year you will have some joy in the midst of the mourning, knowing you made it through with this little one :) Hang in there and lean on us!

Beth-- I know the mystery has to be SO hard! But hang in there, I am sure they are doing that for good reason, like you said! Don't want to disrupt things! :) One day at a time!

Joansjojo-- thanks girl :) One step at a time, we are all getting closer to term!

Hang in there ladies and remember we are all in this together!! Whether you are in your 1st trimester scared of what may come, 2nd trimester just hoping and praying to reach viability, or in the 3rd trimester fighting for less and less NICU time, we are all in the same battle!

Jralex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015 at 01:57 PM »
I'm checking in late this week. I had a rough beginning.  Tuesday I started getting a lot of regular contractions again and a lot more pain than normal. I went into the doctor and found out that I have a little less than .5cm length and I'm dilated about 1cm now. Just like Beth, my doctor said no more checks now that it's open. I'm going to start NSTs twice a week now, until I deliver. The contractions have gone down again, thank goodness! I want to get to 32 weeks so badly! Today is 30 weeks + 4 days. The babies are measuring a week ahead and are both head down, which is great news. I also hope they stay in position and maintain that healthy weight.
Kmuss, he is adorable. Love the pic!

JoansJojo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015 at 04:37 AM »
Jralex: Im sorry to hear about your hard week but even with de dilation and short cervix you can go to 32 weeks and even far beyond. The babies are big and thats incredible news! And you passed the 30 week milestone wich is huge!! Im glad the contrations are gone. Im sendind positive vibes for you and your babies and next monday we will celebrate your 31 week alright? :)

Hang in there girl!

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015 at 05:03 AM »
Jralex - sorry aswel for your rough week. So positive about the babies are measuring a week ahead. Are you in hospital or still at home? Just keep doi what you have been doing over the past few weeks, 32 weeks will be here before you know it. Brilliant regarding the contractions.

Keep us updated!

Thinking of all you ladies and hope everything goes okay over the next few days ready for the next roll call on Monday...

kgkane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015 at 02:40 PM »
Jralex- I too had a rough week and am checking in late. 

Although I am not dilated, my cervix took a big shrink up this week.... I had been holding steady at a solid 2.6-2.7cm, and this week went down to 1.8cm.  My doc told me to take comfort in that it is still longer than it was when we first started measuring, but if I had any cramping or signs of labour to go straight to labor and delivery to get the shots of steroids. 

I was negative about everything for a few days, but have jumped back on the positive train today as I reached my 28 weeks mark and this was my first goal.  Now I am looking ahead, taking it easy and determined to make it to 30 weeks then to 32. 

Wishing all you ladies well, if you are like me and find yourself on the negative train allow yourself the moment to feel scared and sorry, but then get on that positive train again because that is really what is best for you and baby!  I had to start a gratitude list at the end of my journal to help keep my head clear and optimistic. 

Beth_Stack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015 at 05:59 PM »
Jralex - So sorry to hear you're having a rough time! I know it's so discouraging to hear that news. I've been hanging in at 1 cm dilated for about 3 weeks now, so although it's not ideal, it doesn't mean you can't still meet upcoming goals!

Kgkane - Sorry about your disappointing check-up, too. And you're right...staying positive is the best thing we can all do for ourselves and our babies!