Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Questions for those who have "graduated" from bed rest  (Read 3841 times)

Kmuss

• View Profile
Questions for those who have "graduated" from bed rest
« on: December 12, 2015 at 01:29 PM »
Hey ladies! I will be 34 weeks tomorrow and being just a few weeks away from term, I am planning to ask my doctor if I will get released from bed rest if I make it to 37 weeks (or whatever week he says). For those who have "graduated" bed rest either this pregnancy or in previous pregnancies-- What week did you get released? Were you just put on a reduced activity level instead of strict bed rest? Did you get taken off pelvic rest as well? I am just itching to do a few small organization projects in the baby's room, freeze some meals, and get a little quality alone time with hubby before the baby arrives!

I am fully prepared for my doc to say "no" and that is okay-- I will do anything for this baby, but after 12 weeks I just want to dream a little ;) not only about getting off bed rest but also about making it that close to my due date!

Thanks in advance for your responses and I hope everyone is still cookin'!

Kmm05

• View Profile
Re: Questions for those who have "graduated" from bed rest
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015 at 02:23 PM »
I've never graduated from bed rest, so I can't answer from personal experience.  But it seems from what I remember from my past bed rest babies, that people are usually released around 36 or 37 weeks, but I couldn't swear that is the case, just what I am remembering.  I can say from past experience, that I had so little stamina after being down for so long that I couldn't do much at first.  Granted that was also after just giving birth, but it took me a bit to get my strength built up again. 

Congratulations on making it to (almost) 34 weeks!  I can certainly understand wanting to get things done.  I hope your little one stays cooking long enough that you do get released!

Moyn14

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015 at 03:33 PM »
I don't know either, but it would make sense that you could come off around week 37. Let us know!!! I know, I would love to come off even for just a few days!

Kmuss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015 at 04:07 PM »
Kmm-- That is something else I worry about! If I am on bed rest until the baby comes I am honestly concerned about not having the energy to move around much and being extra exhausted. But I guess that is part of the journey for us bed resters :) Like you said though, most people I have heard of getting released were around 36 or 37 weeks so I am hoping baby stays in long enough to find out :)

Moyn-- That is what I thought too! I think some ladies here have been released at week 37 but I can't remember! When I read those posts it seemed so far away I just read it and eventually forgot. I will let you ladies know what the doctor says, I am going to ask Friday at my appt at 34 weeks 5 days so that I will have something to countdown to if he says yes :)

Jralex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015 at 02:40 PM »
You know I'm right there with you. Wondering the same thing. My doctor says at 36 weeks I can get off bedrest.  I'm honestly not sure I'll get there. She's stopping my nifedipine tomorrow at 34 weeks and I just can't imagine not going into labor for another 2 weeks. I am worried about not having anytime to get on my feet and prepare for these babies.

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM »
My doctor said that there will be a plan in place to strengthen my muscles again through physio. I am abit nervous as I am having an elected c-section which will make my progress even slower.

I remembered a few ladies on here eased off bedrest around 36 weeks but like you I didn't pay that much attention as to me that was and still does feel like ages.

When dos everyone start to buy things? Having a previous loss at 22 and then being on bedrest from 14/15 I have not bought anything. I'm scared to start buying things just in case I have a bad outcome? But on the flip side I don't want to be stressed out getting nearer to the time. When do you think it's appropriate/safe to?

Kmuss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015 at 04:00 PM »
Natlg-- that is a good plan, I am also having a c section and worry about that adding to the recovery.

As for when to buy things, I did everything pretty early despite knowing that my odds for miscarriage or preterm birth were high. I just chose to think positively and start buying, though I know your perspective as someone who has suffered a loss is probably quite different from mine. I think it all depends on what you are comfortable with, and just remember that the things baby needs right away are minimal-- somewhere to sleep, diapers and wipes, clothes, a few blankets... most other things could be purchased later if you want to do things that way. Then if you decide to wait a while to get anything you could just start with the essentials and then when baby is born start thinking about the rest of it. It is hard because there is never a "safe" zone, and even mommas with full term babies sometimes face tragedy. For me personally, though, hitting the 24 week "viability" mark felt safe and we bought a lot of our big items then (we already had some smaller things we had bought early in the 2nd trimester).

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015 at 04:40 AM »
Thanks Kmuss, I might start just writing out a list and have a look online/research etc so then when I feel right to buy I'm not starting from scratch.

Kaylos44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015 at 03:29 PM »
My docs say they "Won't try to stop labour" after 34 weeks, I was assuming that would be when bedrest would be a little less restrictive but now I think I'll ask specifically at my next appt.

Natlg- I haven't bought anything but I'm a statistics nut and figure that these babies have a very good chance of survival if born now (26 +1). I googled what i might need and made a baby registry on Amazon and a local store for my (now cancelled) baby shower. I have found that I just use the registry as my list now and am considering buying some things on it....but after 2 miscarriages I am still hesitant and haven't bought anything, though I never made it any where near this far. I wonder if we just have to break the seal as such and try to plan for success :)

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015 at 03:20 AM »
Thanks Kaylos, I might do the list on Amazon. I don't think I will be able to buy anything until around 30 weeks. Which is just over 5 weeks. But at least if I have my list ready it will be really quick to purchase items, plus gives me something to do while in bed!

kgkane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015 at 08:14 AM »
Hi all...on Friday I graduate from bed rest to restricted activity! I will be 32 weeks, and since week 24 my cervix has held pretty strong. (Currently at 1.85cm).  Although it is very exciting there is so much hesitation that comes with it and so many question! My doc has been really good about it all...she explained my new situation as being able to sit up to eat a meal, make a meal, 20 min of prenatal yoga, and 30 minutes max of walking at the mall or down the road each day.  She encouraged my husband to keep doing everything around the house (laundry vacuuming etc) so thT I could use my standing time to build muscles back up and do something enjoyable!

It's all very exciting for us, although I feel like we are on our way out of the woods, I know that there are still some weeks to come of laying on my left side.  We are so thankful to be at 32 weeks..... I honestly had my doubts that this milestone would ever come!

christieparks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015 at 10:46 AM »
I'm so happy you put up this post, because I've been having the exact same thoughts/worries about eventually transitioning off bedrest, and since we are close to the same dates, I'm happy to see I'm not the only one feeling this way! I talked with my doc last week at my 34 week checkup, and they mentioned transitioning off bedrest around 36-37 weeks. My next appt is at 36, so I'm hoping we can realistically discuss it then, if we can make it to that appt! I want so badly to just WALK around! I know I won't get all my strength back before labor fully kicks in, if I do get to the point of coming off bedrest (The docs are convinced once I'm off bedrest and off my procardia, it'll come very quickly, because I'm still contracting regularly), but I just want to move around and walk, and definitely wanting to do things around the house to get ready for the baby.

I ALSO share your curiosity of pelvic rest - I haven't asked about that one yet. I am hoping for at least one chance to have some intimacy with my hubby before the baby arrives (and things are back on lockdown for another 6 weeks) - I know it'll be tough and likely not very enjoyable on my end after this long (it's been over 2 months of lockdown, the poor man), but I just feel so bad for him, I'd like the doc's blessing for at least one romp before things kick back up! lol.. which they may not give me, considering I have no cervix, am dilated, and my bag of water is bulging through my cervix.. but hey, one can dream right?

I'm so excited you're still cooking, and so proud of what bedrest has done for us all! I don't know about you, but I feel like I'm getting more antsy the last week or so.. definitely more anxious, but it's helpful to see that I'm not alone in my questions and wondering about things. Hang in there!!! Thinking of you daily!
On bedrest with our first pregnancy, beginning at 27w3d for short cervix (0.00 cm) and preterm labor. Kept our daughter cooking until her birth at 37w3d, and she is perfect! Born 1/7/16, weighing 6 lbs 10.5 oz, 18.5 inches long!

heavenbound

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016 at 08:19 PM »
After 10 weeks of hospital bedrest and 3 at home, I was released at 37 weeks, including being off pelvic rest and off all meds. I think different doctors release at different times and have different expectations of what that'll look like.

PS I went into labor at 38.2 and had a healthy baby boy
Holding on to God's Promises,

Shannon Faith

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28