Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: Irritable Uterus (IU) Success Story!  (Read 1006 times)

jensine449

• View Profile
Irritable Uterus (IU) Success Story!
« on: December 28, 2015 at 07:59 PM »
Hello my friends!

While I was on bed rest, I dreamt of the day when I could come on here and tell you all about what happened, start to finish.  Here's my chance, and I hope that it gives hope to someone else out there.  After all, others gave me LOTS of hope during those dark, questionable days of my pregnancy.

My husband and I I got pregnant in February 2015, and I literally had a flawless pregnancy, expecting our first baby (girl).  At age 35 (advanced maternal age, or as my doc put it..."Barely old,"), I was pleased to see healthy reports during ultrasounds and labs.  As an educator, I have the month of July off work so I "induced" nesting and worked on all things baby to prepare for our November arrival.  It is safe to say that I likely overdid it.  On August 1st, I returned to work with a work-related trip to San Diego from Oregon.  The day after I arrived, at 26w5d pregnant, I noticed spotting for the first time.  It was mild, but I took note (who wouldn't!!!).  I didn't debate long and went to the ER in San Diego--this was Monday.  I thought perhaps it was from my travels (dehydration?) or because I'd had a labored bowel movement when I noticed the spotting.  Nonetheless, the ER in SD told me that I had indeed been spotting, that I was having constant uterus activity (contractions) and that my ultrasound and cervical check were normal.  I left the ER with "preterm labor precautions."  I flew home early and was in total limbo!  I made an apt to see my doc, and she didn't seem overly concerned considering that the ultrasounds were normal.  I, however, was now freaked out--I had no idea that what I'd been experiencing for about 3 weeks were CONTRACTIONS!  I thought it was just the baby moving...

By Friday, my contractions escalated to every 2-3 minutes.  I believe this was somewhat self-induced...I was stressed and scared, and the nurse at the doc's office made me mad by saying that I was fine and that I should be going to work.  However, the contractions were about 5-1 minutes apart and I didn't feel as though they were as concerned as they should be.  So I got worked up and eventually my husband took me to L&D where they saw the 2-3 minute contractions and I was hyperventilating.  :-(  I was really scared.  :-(  I left that L&D 24-hour stay with a low dose of Procardia (30mg daily with the option to increase if necessary) and prescribed modified bed rest.  Due to increased contractions, I upped my Procardia to 2 doses daily of 30mg around 30 weeks.

From weeks 27-37, I was on modified bed rest.  I was permitted to be up and about 5 minutes per hour to pee, eat, and walk around for circulation.  I took mild baths rather than showers (this was my idea, my doc didn't advise one way or the other--I just was too scared to be standing up for long).  During that span, one week I would have a fetal fibronectin test (ffn) and the next week I would have my cervical length checked.  Week after week, tests came back normal.  My cervix remained closed up tight (Fort Knox!), measuring 3.5cm on average each time.  It was really hard to not work--as  school administrator, NOT walking around was NOT an option, so I went out on pregnancy disability.  I didn't get paid at this time (long story, I saved my STD for after delivery for a better payout), but did work from home four hours daily which helped my mind and kept me from totally blowing through my paid sick leave.  Fortunately during this period, I gained weight at a reasonable pace--I had no real appetite and no ability to go buy junk out of the house!  :-)

During this time, my doc didn't seem super concerned since all results kept coming back good.  She didn't diagnose me with anything--just that some women have lots of contractions, and that our job was to stay pregnant and make sure that if baby girl was going to come, that I get to the hospital to get steroids.  I was told that the daily Procardia was really not doing anything except "treating myself," by reducing the intensity of the contractions.  However, it didn't stop labor.  If she was going to come, she was going to come.  All of these treatment (including modified bed rest) was to keep my stress down and give her a chance to keep cookin'.  I discovered this forum and have basically diagnosed myself with irritable uterus (IU).  I call it a bitchy uterus.  :P  Whenever I moved, I would contract.  Whenever I touched my belly or she would move, I would have a contraction.  My belly would go hard from top to bottom, and sometimes just on one side.  That continued until about 38 weeks pregnant.

At 35 weeks I was told to increase my activity and begin to taper off the Procadia.  By 36 weeks I was off Procardia, and cautiously upping my activity.  I was allowed to return to work at 37 weeks, which I did for 2.5 weeks.  I was really afraid that when I went off Procardia that the baby would come immediately!  She didn't, and the contractions didn't increase like crazy, which I expected.  Strangely enough, the seemed to decrease...? 

My baby girl, Deanna Marshia, was born vaginally on November 4th, 2015 at 39w5d.  I was induced with a very low dose of Pitocen which they took me off of after 3 hours (my body started to contract naturally).  It was less than a 12 hour labor, with virtually no complications aside from back labor (which is awful!).  She is healthy and aside from normal baby stuff is a happy little lady in the 75% for growth.  Her APGARs were 8 & 9 at birth. 

To those of you on bed rest, my suggestions are:
Stay positive!  You never know what will happen, and negative thinking (IMO) isn't good for us or baby
Stay busy!  Get Netflix.  Get Hulu.  Download books from the library.  Binge watch TV shows.  Some of my favorites:  How I Met Your Mother (205 episodes), Project Runway, Forensic Files.  Whatever you can do to distract, do it!  The days drag on but the weeks FLY!
Follow doctor's orders.
Check this forum daily, stay connected!  Every day I would search this forum for the day I was on (ex 34w3d) and then read every single post by anyone for that day.  I learned a lot and the time kept passing.

Thank you thank you thank you for being here, helping me stay pregnant and for giving us hope!

Natlg

• View Profile
Re: Irritable Uterus (IU) Success Story!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015 at 06:28 AM »
Thanks for updating us, made me very happy reading your story and she is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on what have achieved and I hope you are enjoying every minute with your little one.

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015 at 01:53 PM »
Congrats on your beautiful girl!! Reading another success story was just what I needed today - it has made my heart soar with joy. :) :)

Kmuss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015 at 08:15 PM »
Jesnine, happy tears for you my dear! Your story and your baby girl are both beautiful and I am so glad your outcome was so fantastic. YOU are one of the success stories now, how does that feel? :D congratulations!!

Smittymelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015 at 11:23 AM »
Yay! Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl and for making it as far as you did.
I love hearing success stories.
God bless!

Kmm05

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015 at 04:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing your success story with us and congratulations on your little one.  She is beautiful!  Just think, you are now one of those stories that someone else will read and be encouraged by.

Amietwins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016 at 08:20 PM »
This reminds me of my situation. Any movements or big baby movements causes my uterus to get rock hard - sometime the entire thing other times just one side. I was also diagnosed with a shortened cervix at 27 weeks and have made it to 33 weeks! I loved reading your success story!
Amie
Soon to be first time mom to twin boys

jensine449

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017 at 11:32 PM »
Good evening friends!

Sorry to rekindle an old story. But I'm in my second pregnancy now and wanted to send an update, especially for those wondering if an irritable uterus is inevitable during subsequent pregnancies.  I was terrified to get pregnant again because I thought that I would be destined to constant contractions like I was last time. I'm happy to say that I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and have only had one day of contractions back at 22 weeks.  I can't tell you much that is different this time around. Last pregnancy I followed all the rules, at least the ones in my head! I ate very healthy, didn't drink caffeine, and worked out. I had constant contractions starting in about 20 weeks.

Fast forward to this pregnancy, I'm much less active, drink the occasional 8 ounce cup of coffee, and I'm  giving into a few cravings now and then.  :)  in my limited experience, I feel that it is safe to say that my irritable uterus was limited to my first pregnancy. For whatever reasons… Again my doctor never use that phrase, but I think that's what it was.   Early constant contractions. Never painful, just constant. I would have on average 6 to 10 per hour! So I think they're right when they say every pregnancy is different.

Hang in there ladies! This pregnancy feels totally different and I wish I wouldn't of stress for so long, being afraid I would have a rough go again. You never know, every pregnancy is different!