Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: *Update* 21 weeks cervix sticking at 1.8 with progesterone  (Read 7563 times)

lauragibson

• View Profile
*Update* 21 weeks cervix sticking at 1.8 with progesterone
« on: January 17, 2016 at 02:39 AM »

Hi ladies,

I am new to the forum and looking for some support and also would like to know what others in my situation have experienced.

I lost my son Charlie to PROM at the start of last year, he was born at 21weeks ges. I was also positive for Group B strep.

We have a 4 year old son at home. Iam now pregnant with my first girl and i couldn't be happier but im also terrified of loosing her.

Iam currently 18 weeks 4 days. I had my cx checked Friday and it had halved from 38mm to 1.9

Iam now going in tomorrow to have a cerclage put in and I am so nervous.

Any advice?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016 at 10:36 PM by lauragibson »

Smittymelly

• View Profile
Re: Emergent Cervical Cerclage 19 weeks.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016 at 04:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your previous loss however don't feel discouraged.
My cervix went from 3.6 to 1.6 in one week from week 20-21 and the doctor wasn't too hopeful. For some reason she didn't offer me a cerclage but I was given progesterone suppositories and was put on bedrest and I'm 30 weeks today.
I hear a cerclage can do wonders and some peoples cervix actually lengthens after the procedure which is awesome. You still should take is easy and go on bedrest as that seems to help the most.
I won't lie the first few weeks on bedrest were extremely difficult but it does get easier I promise.
Keep yourself busy, colour, do puzzles, get into knitting, have friends over, watch Netflix etc.
Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted.
I'm going for my ultrasound scan tomorrow- wish me luck too!
All the best

lauragibson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016 at 04:57 AM »
I think iam mostly just nervous for the surgery as would anyone i suppose. But as long as it help prolong labour i dont care what i have to do.

I have also been on Progesterone pessaries since 16 weeks and will probably continue after the cerclage.

After what you have been through to make it to 30 weeks is fantastic! I cant wait to get to that so well done you!

I will definitely be getting into Netflix when i return home. I will give you an update Tuesday.

All the very best with your scan! Fingers crossed. Your doing so well  :)

Laura  :)

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016 at 08:55 AM »
Hi Laura, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your loss. I know the heartache and pain you were/are going through as we lost our first child Dec 2014 at 22 weeks due to an incompetent/short cervix that made me go into early labour.

I am now pregnant with our second child and started my bedrest journey at 14 weeks where my cervix was measuring 2.4, I have a cerclage and I am on progesterone pessaries, my cervix has been going up and down, my last measurement that I had was at 27 weeks where it ranged from 2.5-2.8. I'm now currently 29 weeks and 2 day.

As Smittymelly suggests, keep yourself busy, use the search button on here, there are brilliant success stories... but also set yourself milestones and goals. I have a day counter which I change every morning which is useful. Hang on in there and keep us updated!

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016 at 09:52 AM »
Hi Laura - welcome to the forum! I know that this place has been such a huge help for me as it's full of advice and support. It's so helpful to connect with others who understand what this is like.

I've been on bed rest due to a short cervix since I was 24 weeks pregnant and I'm not 33 weeks (as of today!!). I've had lots of ups and downs, with my highest measurement being 2.8 cms and going down to 1.4 cms (my last measurement). Sometimes it goes down, then back up again, so your cervix can increase. It can also hold steady for an impressive amount of time - there are lots of great success stories on this site that are so inspirational.

I wasn't able to get a cerclage as they caught my cervix length at 24 weeks, but I am on fairly strict bed rest and taking progesterone nightly. I just focus on getting through each day and it's gotten me this far.

Take care of yourself and know that good things are possible - this site is full of examples!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016 at 05:06 PM by ceecee31 »

Kmm05

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016 at 12:38 PM »
Hi and welcome!  I'm so sorry for your loss.  I can imagine that it makes things so much scarier this time around.  As the others have already mentioned, this site can give you so many stories of people with situations much like yours that ended as a success so I hope you can take some comfort from that. 

I have been on bedrest since 20 weeks due to a shortening cervix and contractions.  I am now 34w3d with twins.  At 22 weeks my cervix was measuring at 1.7 and it held there for about 6 weeks before shortening to .5.  So it is entirely possible for it to hold steady even at a short length for quite some time. 

As far as getting through bedrest, the others have already given you the same suggestions I would so I won't repeat.  But I will definitely second everything they said.  Especially setting goals for yourself, I've found that really helps me feel like I'm getting somewhere.  And of course take advantage of the board.  Let us know how you're doing, we love to celebrate everyone's successes, offer encouragement, advice, whatever is needed.  I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow and please keep us updated.

lauragibson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016 at 11:23 PM »
Thanks for your support girls.

So i went in today as planned and they measured me again and i was still sticking at 1.9 so they decided to wait till Friday to see if i get any shorter before they want to do the cerclage. They would like me to stay on bed rest as it seems to be helping with keeping me at the same length. When i was in there though i found out why iam having sharp stabbing pains in the vagina, the baby was using my cervix like a trampoline!!

Im hoping these progesterone pessaries are helping. Has anyone gone on to full term with help of just the progesterone??

Smittymelly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016 at 12:42 PM »
Hey there. I only discovered my cervix issue by fluke during this pregnancy but 2 years ago I had my daughter at 40 plus 1 so it's kind of a mystery.
I know someone who had the cerclage for her first pregnancy and went to I believe 38-39 weeks and with the second she opted out ( not sure why) and she also made it to around 38-39 weeks, all with bedrest... But it never hurts to get that stitch. I was hoping to get it but it was too late. So far things are ok.
My lab technician said she was doing ultrasounds for this one lady for a short dynamic cervix and she went past 40 weeks.
Who knows when you'll deliver. its just a good idea to take bed rest seriously because it does help. And stay hydrated! Keep us updated on your Friday appt.

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016 at 04:03 PM »
I'm on progesterone tablets only and wasn't able to get a cerlage (to my dismay at the time). I haven't made it full term, but I have lasted nine weeks so far (and hoping I can get to the end). My cervix has had ups and downs, but this month it's been holding out around 1.5 cms - so it seems it can just hit a point and hang on.

My nurses and doctors tell me that they see women in my situation going overdue all of the time - and they are quite optimistic that I can get to term. They've said they see this all of the time and that women will get right down to the end of their cervix and still hold on until full-term.

I will say though, that I really am a firm believe in bed rest. I doubt this baby would still be cooking without it. My doctor keeps telling me to keep is up because it's working, so I just keep that goal in mind. And as Smittymelly said - lots of water too!!

Let us know it goes!! Thinking of you. :)

Kmm05

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016 at 09:30 PM »
It's too bad you're still in limbo about whether or not they're going to do the cerclage, but how wonderful that things are holding steady and they felt they could wait and see.  I'm sure it's hard to get yourself mentally ready for it to happen, then not have it happen.  I think bedrest does wonders, so hang in there and hopefully you will see at your next appointment that it is still holding at 1.9.  Let us know how things go for you on Friday.

lauragibson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016 at 09:58 PM »
Thanks i will do.

Its hard waiting a week to see whats going to happen, trying my best to keep thoughts positive. If it has dropped on Friday i will be pushing for the stitch cause i dont want to get passed the 20 week mark to find out i cant have it.

I lost my son at 21 weeks so as I'm getting closer to that week I'm getting more nervous.

lauragibson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016 at 01:41 AM »
Just a bit of an update. Been to my Friday appointment  ( im in Australia) and its still holding at 19mm. They said everything looks ok and baby is fine.

They still say the stitch would be to much of a risk (rupture membranes) to put in right now unless i have gotten down to 14mm. It seems bed rest is working so far i just have too keep doing what im doing.

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016 at 05:17 AM »
Well done Laura, staying stable is always a good result. Carry on doing what your doing as it all seems to be paying off!

lauragibson

• View Profile
Re: *Update* 21 weeks cervix sticking at 1.8 with progesterone
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016 at 10:42 PM »
Iam 21 weeks today and at my last appointment the doctor said everything is holding and he would like to see me in two weeks. Two weeks is feeling like a lifetime, im so use to getting checked every week and its something that pits my mind at ease. To make matters worse my husband and son are going across the country (family matters) and will miss my next appointnent and im so scared something will happen while he is away. I lost my son last year at this time so im feeling a mix of emotions and i think that's why im so down. I just want to get to 24 weeks so i can relax a little bit.

Im just still wondering if its possible to make it into the 30 weeks mark with the use of just progesterone and bed rest.

ceecee31

• View Profile
Re: *Update* 21 weeks cervix sticking at 1.8 with progesterone
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016 at 07:52 AM »
Moving to apts every two weeks is probably a good sign, I think - particularly if your measurements are holding steady. Just keep resting and laying down as much as possible.

And it is possible to get to 30 weeks (and beyond) with just progesterone and bed rest - many women on this site have!! I was put on bed rest at 24 weeks as my cervix was found to measure 1.5 cms!! It was too late for a cerlage and I was devastated. Thankfully, I found this site that first week and it really helped give me a boost to connect with other women with similar experiences.

I'm not 35w3 days and still holding on!! Not sure about my cervical measurements, as they stopped checking at 33 weeks but I think my last one was 1.6 cms. I had ups and downs with my measurements. The first time I went back, after being very strict with bed rest, my numbers had moved up to 2.8 (when it had been 1.5 about a week and a half before). Over the next little while it was up and down, but the last few measurements I had were in the 1.5.-1.8 zone. I imagine it's shorter now, but since they no longer check I have no clue.

Do you have any close friends who could accompany you to the apt when your husband is away? I have a really wonderful friend who has come with me a couple of times when my husband wasn't able to join me. It really felt great to have someone else with me.

The best thing I did was listen to all of the advice on this site and the first little while I took bed rest incredibly seriously (I still do, but am a bit more relaxed now that I've hit 35 weeks - in that I sit up a bit more and am showering more often). 

This is the time to tap into all of your social supports to help get you through the next little while, particularly when your husband and son are away. And make use of this site as well, I have found it so incredibly helpful to be able to read about other women's success stories.

Thinking of you and your little one!!