Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: *Update* 21 weeks cervix sticking at 1.8 with progesterone  (Read 7550 times)

lauragibson

• View Profile
Re: *Update* 21 weeks cervix sticking at 1.8 with progesterone
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016 at 09:14 PM »
Thanks ceecee31

Iam lucky enough to have a great family around me. We have moved into my grandparents house until i give birth because i have a 4 year old that still needs to be taken to school and looked after and they have been a great help.

I think your right about the two week check im sure its more of a positive than a negative.  It sounds like you have a dynamic cervix like myself. They said myn seems to fluctuate even when they are measuring me.

My husband goes away tomorrow, im sure time will go fast while he is away. I will just continue to rest and stay of my feet as much as possible like you said.

Congratulations on 35 weeks thats incredible!! I bet your well and truley sick of bed rest now. But it will be all worth it in the end when we get to hold our little ones.

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016 at 07:38 AM »
Hi Laura, I remember when I went onto three week checks from two and it was horrible. You count down the days until that appointment and I couldn't bare having adding another week onto it. After the first one is out the way the time period does get easier though, and it is really positive that they can change you from a weekly appointment to a two week appointment. You must be going in the right direction and satisfying them!

You definitely can get to 30 weeks plus...I felt the same as you when I was at 14 weeks, and although it seems like such a huge way away, setting yourself milestones and goals will help. 24 weeks for me I felt a sense of achievement, and that's just around the corner for you. I lost my son at 22 weeks the same time I was pregnant at 22 weeks with this pregnancy so understand about the scare and worry. It will ease as the days go on but it was a difficult period for me.

Loads of women on here get to nearly full term with just bed rest and progesterone so it's definitely achievable. Keep up the good work and good luck for your next appointment.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016 at 08:57 AM »
Hi, Laura.

I think this blog post will really help you, especially all of the ideas in the section "During the Wait."  http://www.parijatdeshpande.com/#!8 Ways to Cope with Anxiety While Waiting for Test Results/c1nvj/55
It' about the anxiety of waiting for test results, but it has a lot of ideas that will be helpful in this situation too!

Also, to share my story, I made it from 24 weeks with a 1.5 cm cervix all the way to 39 wks+3days, with progesterone and bedrest. I've seen MANY similar success stories here. You can do it too!

Keep 'em cookin'!

Angela

Kmm05

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016 at 11:15 PM »
Glad to hear that your measurements are staying stable.  That's really good news.  I've heard several people with similar stories of it staying stable even at a short length.  I know it's hard to go two weeks between appointments and not have that reassurance weekly about how things are going.  But I too think it is probably a good sign that your doctors feel confident that things have stabilized.  I know that doesn't help the anxiety any though.  I hope the time that your husband and son are away passes quickly, it's good that you at least still have family around to keep you company until they are home.  I second the suggestion of seeing if a friend or other family member can go with you to your next appointment, hopefully that will help ease the worry at least a little. 

As far as making it to the 30 week mark with just progesterone and bedrest it is totally possible!  With my third daughter I was on bedrest for 13 weeks, and that and progesterone got us to almost 31 weeks.  With my twins my cervix was measuring about the same as yours at 22 weeks and I made it to almost 35 weeks.  Keep doing what you're doing, it sounds like it is working!

Smittymelly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016 at 04:15 PM »
Sorry I haven't replied earlier.

I say you can definitely make it to 30 weeks and mostlikely beyond as well.
I was 21 weeks when they discovered my short cervix and with bedrest and suppositories I was pretty stable for many weeks hovering around the 1.5-2 mark going up and down. At 32 weeks I was 1.1 cm
And my next scan is at 34 weeks.
I'm hoping to keep baby in as long as possible. It seems like it's forever but just count 1 week at a time and get the steroids for babies lungs when they suggest it.

Best of luck. Stay strong. You can do this.
Also stay hydrated!

lauragibson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016 at 09:10 AM »
Thanks for your replies ladies.

I had my appointment today and my cervix was officially called dynamic. My cx length had gone up to 2.5 with 1.8 being my lowest and when they applied pressure with the Trans vaginal probe it went up to 3.5. They have said due to it being dynamic they want me to keep doing exactly what im doing and not get too excited and start doing more.

Im happy with the results but i will continue to stay proactive and keep up the bed rest with progesterone. I have seen how fast my cervix can change so im remaining open minded.

Smittymelly congratulations for making it as far as you have, i cant wait till iam at 30+weeks i will ask them in a couple of weeks for the steroid injections as you have suggested.

lauragibson

• View Profile
Re: *Update* 23 weeks with an ok cervix length but funneling!?
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016 at 02:57 AM »
Today was a hard day. Iam 23 weeks 2 days.

My cervix was measuring 2.1 BUT i have started funneling! My doctor isnt concerned about the funneling as i still have what he thinks is a considerable amount of cervix left but from what i have read the term funneling really scares me. The team of doctors i have said they use to worry about funneling but not anymore as they believe the measurement of the cervix is what they have found has been the key thing to look at.

His advice along with my midwives is to keep up the bed rest and progesterone. He told me iam no longer able to get a stitch because he thinks it will cause my membranes to break. I started crying because im now terrified that ill be left with no options.

Feeling so down.

Sophie2015

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016 at 06:01 AM »
Hi Laura,
My cervix was funnelling at 24 weeks, but then at every check after that (25, 26 and 28 weeks) it wasn't funnelling any more. So my understanding is that it can close again.

posy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016 at 06:38 AM »
Laura,

My cervix was funneling at 15 weeks.  I've had weekly checks since then and am now 20 weeks, and it closed and grew length with bed rest and progesterone.  You're so close to 24 weeks, and if you've made it this far, think of how much longer you can go!  Just keep up with the bed rest and take care of yourself. 

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016 at 01:19 PM »
Hi Laura - sorry that you are having a crappy day. It's such a stressful experience and some days just suck. Sometimes you just need to give yourself permission to feel what you need to feel, without the need to apologize. Be mad, sad, scared... whatever you need, but then take a few moments to regroup and realize that you can do this!!

And 2.1 cms is actually a pretty good measurement, so I wouldn't worry too much about the funneling. It seems pretty standard with the dynamic cervix and you'd be surprised how many women on this site had A LOT of funneling and still made it very far into their pregnancies.

Even though you aren't able to get the stitch you can still get quite far. I wasn't able to get the cerlage either and I was terrified at first but I've made it to 37w5d without one (just with bed rest and progesterone tablets) - so it is totally possible to make term without a stitch.

I can't say what exactly got me to this point, but I think being strict with my bed rest would be my best guess. It's bloody hard, but so worth it. And it's so, so, so long, but the days slowly turn into weeks and you find yourself surprised by how far you've come and how strong you really are.

When I first signed up for this site, after lurking for a wee bit in the shadows, there were so many women who were so much further ahead then me and a few around the same stage I was. I remember thinking that I'd give anything to make 30 weeks and really couldn't imagine getting there. It was so daunting and overwhelming and the weeks ahead seemed so long and, at times, impossible.

But here I am and I'm one of the ones who's made it so far - which, to be honest, I still can't fully wrap my head around. I'm so used to being worried and terrified, that even though I've hit term, it all still haunts me. One of the things that goes along with a high risk pregnancy.

The one thing I can say is that you are stronger than you think. You are really close to 24 weeks, so be extra strict for the next little while. And try to find some pleasure in somethings - reading, watching TV, etc. At first, I found that I almost had to fake it because I was so anxious it was hard to get truly absorbed in anything but my constant worry. After a while though, the faking it allowed me to actually have a few moments of enjoyment (even if it was just binge watching terribly TV on Netflix).

Sending positive thoughts to you and your little one!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016 at 05:29 PM by ceecee31 »

Smittymelly

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016 at 03:35 PM »
Hi Laura

Stay strong!
Ceecee's post was great and so true. We all thought that we would never see the 30's.
And by the way I had funneling and a short cervix of 1.6 at 21 weeks and every week i measured my cervix would fluctuate, sometimes no funneling, sometimes a little funneling.

You can do this. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We are happy to help you.
I can't tell you how many times I've cried and prayed and I feel so blessed to have made it this far- I'll be 35 weeks on Sunday and I thought I would never make it this far and that it would take forever but after around 28 weeks and then hitting 30 weeks , it just flew by.

Keep us posted. Big hugs.

Kmm05

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016 at 06:55 PM »
Sorry to hear you're having a rough time right now.  Like the others have said try not to focus too much on the funneling.  I've been down the bedrest road three times and my doctors were always more concerned about the length than funneling.  And you do have a decent length so try and focus on the positive part.  I wasn't able to get a cerclage with any of my pregnancies and was able to make it to 30+ weeks with my girls with just progesterone and bedrest.  It is totally possible for it to happen!

I think Ceecee is absolutely right about letting yourself have a moment and feel the way you do.  Let yourself cry when you need to.  Let yourself be mad at the situation, it's not fair, there's no doubt about it.  But keep reminding yourself that you can get through this.  You are stronger than you think you are and you will be able to dig down deep and find a way to make it to another day.  Keep crossing those days off and time will pass.  You are so, so close to 24 weeks and I hope once you make it past that huge milestone time will pass a little faster for you.  Find something to do to keep your mind busy, make small goals for yourself, stay hydrated and make sure you take it easy.  Rest as much as you can, I'm absolutely convinced it really does make a huge difference!