Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: *Update* 24weeks, twins, 5mm cervical length, funneling  (Read 4132 times)

Hopefulandterrified

• View Profile
*Update* 24weeks, twins, 5mm cervical length, funneling
« on: January 25, 2016 at 12:40 PM »
Hi everyone! I am currently 25w3d with naturally conceived Di Di twin girls. My pregnancy has gone from eventful to uneventful to highly eventful. At 6 weeks I had spotting that sent me in for an ultrasound where we discovered twins! I had spotting up until around 9-10weeks when I had a big bleed. Heavy red bleeding like the first day of your period that sent me to the ER. Lucky both girls were Ok but they never found the cause of the bleeding. Who knows maybe I had a triplet?!

The spotting finally stopped by 12 weeks and my pregnancy was smooth sailing. My 20week ultrasound was good other than choroid plexus cyst on one babies brain. Cervix and everything else was good. For 4 weeks I worried about the cyst but given there was no other findings I realized it was probably isolated. At my 24week check up I was elated to learn the cysts were gone! We then went to see our OB thinking we'd be in and out. WRONG! She came in with a bad look on her face and let me know my cervix had shortened to 1.3cm and I was funneling. Confused she said I was going to go into preterm labor and didn't think I'd even make it to 28 weeks. She admitted me in the hospital that luckily has a level 4 NICU where I received the steroid shots and magnesium for the next 48 hours.

We then met with NICU to discuss the outcome of 24 weekers. I'm pretty sure my emotions just turned off. After the steroids were done I was moved to antenatal where I was monitored for 2 days. Luckily no contractions and 0cm dialated. My regular OB recommended bedrest with bathroom, shower, make quick lunch privileges.

The University told me to do nothing and resume normal life as there is no evidence bed rest works. I went with my OB and have been on bedrest since. I've had to go to one follow up Dr apt and I swear the babies moved lower so I've decided I won't see her again until I at least reach 28 weeks. I'm hopeful bed rest will help prolong the pregnancy but these first few weeks, especially this early in gestation, are agonizing as I wait feeling like a ticking time bomb. So far made it 10 days on bed rest but my ultimate goal is 36 weeks. Anyone with positive similar stories please share!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016 at 10:40 PM by Hopefulandterrified »

Natlg

• View Profile
Re: 24weeks, twins, 5mm cervical length, funneling
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016 at 01:08 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your journey so far, good thing is that they have detected it now and are aware of your short cervix and can manage it accoridingly. There are loads of success stories on here so you should use the search button and have a look. As you will find out when reading, bedrest is the key to keeping those babies in!

I have been on bedrest from 14 weeks due to a short cervix, I'm 30 weeks now so feel like a veteran! I also have a cerclag and take vaginal progesterone. Did your doctor mention for you to take any? The cervix can increase and decrease and through my pregnancy I have measures from 2.1 to 3.0. Bedrest can be difficult at times but give yourself goals and milestones to get to, also try and get into a daily routine...I feel when I have a routine the day goes quicker. This forum is brillant so any concerns let us know.

Altho you don't want to see your doctor till 28 weeks, have they requested that you have any more cervical scans?

Hang on in there, and let's kee your twins cooking!

Smittymelly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016 at 01:10 PM »
Hey there, I'm sorry you had such a stressful pregnancy ( much like the rest of us)
At my 20 week scan my cervix was 3.6 and at 21 weeks ( I went due to a soft marker on babies heart) my cervix was down to 1.6 with funneling. She too was not hopeful that my baby would survive at all since in one week it had shot down 2 cm. I was bawling and a nervous wreck anxiously waiting to reach 24 weeks to get my steroid shots. I have been going for weekly ultrasounds, I'm on progesterone suppositories and I'm on bedrest. My cervix as of last week was I believe 1.8 so it goes up and down but pretty much around the 1.4-2.6mark. I'm now 31 weeks and 1 day so I've lasted 10 weeks on bedrest. So I say stay strong, keep yourself busy, set small goals for yourself and set a routine. I remember once I reached 24 weeks and then 26, 28, 30 and next is 32.
I pray all of us reach our goals and have healthy babies ( and a pain free quick delivery- one can dream right? Lol)
Good luck. Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016 at 01:12 PM by Smittymelly »

Hopefulandterrified

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016 at 01:19 PM »
I was told because it's twins that a cerclage or progesterone won't help and neither my OB or the hospital was willing to give them to me. My Dr looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned the pessary. As of now I'm left to pray bed rest works and gets me there. All I know is if I start getting contractions they would give me magnesium. Even that is because of helping the babies brain as they don't feel it's a great drug to stop labor. I'm just drinking pitchers of water, staying on bedrest and hoping the next 3 weeks goes by fast to 28 weeks. Never in a million years would I have been relieved to deliver at 28 weeks but being told at 24 weeks I only had a few days and looking at the outcome of 24 week vs 28 weeks is so much better. I really want to get to 36 weeks but small goals seem to help me better. Congrats on all that are still hanging on. You give me hope. I have a friend who had the same problem at 19 weeks. She made it to 38 weeks with twins on strict bed rest

Kmm05

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016 at 09:59 PM »
Hi and welcome to the group.  I'm sorry you've had such an eventful ride so far.  I feel like I could have written so much of your story myself.  And I hope that that can help give you some hope.  I was placed on bedrest at 20 weeks due to a short cervix and contractions.  At 22 weeks my cervix was measuring about 1.7 and it held steady there until about 28 weeks.  At that point I spent several days in the hospital because of contractions, got the steroid shots, had magnesium and my cervix measured at .5.  Luckily they were able to get my contractions under control again for the most part.  Like you I was told that progesterone wasn't really effective with twins and a cerclage wasn't an option for me for other reasons.  And I was told that we probably wouldn't even make it to 24 weeks, let alone past that point.  Well, thanks to bedrest and determination on my part, my twins (also di-di girls) were born last week at 34 weeks and 5 days.  I am absolutely convinced that if it wasn't for bedrest they would not have made it that far.  Like you said, make sure you drink a ton of water, stay on bedrest whether others tell you that it helps or not and think positive thoughts.  I found it very helpful to try and get myself in a routine, it seemed to help my days pass faster.  Also setting small goals for myself helped, some days it was just to make it through the day, but generally was more along the lines of making it to 26 weeks or 28 weeks or whatever.  And this may sound silly, but I think it can't hurt.  I always talked to my girls and told them to wait, that as much as we wanted to meet them it wasn't time yet, they needed to wait a while longer. 

Best of luck to you.  Please keep us updated on how you're doing. 

Hopefulandterrified

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016 at 01:40 PM »
Hi Kmm05!

Thanks for the hopeful post. How did your girls do after the delivery? Currently I'm still on bedrest at 26w3d. For the most part I feel pretty good although it seems as if I'm slowly losing my mucus plug. I have only felt a handful of contractions since being on bed rest. I don't see my Dr again until 28 weeks where they will check their growth and my cervix. I opted to not see her this week since it was just a "protocol" apt where they would just listen to their heartbeats. I just didn't feel like risking the trip was worth it. I think I'll feel a little better once I reach 28 weeks. I'm both excited and nervous for 28 weeks. It seems that I've read a lot of similar stories of women having labor stopped at 28 weeks so I'm hoping if it happens mine is stopped too!

Hoping your girls had an easy time after delivery. You worked so hard and I wish anyone that is willing to endure bed rest was guaranteed healthy babies!

Hopefulandterrified

• View Profile
Re: *Update* 24weeks, twins, 5mm cervical length, funneling
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016 at 11:01 PM »
Hi Everyone. At 24weeks I had an ultrasound for my twin pregnancy and my cervical length measured 1.3cm with funneling. I was sent to the hospital with a level 4 NICU and received a round of steroids. I was released after 5 days primarily because I only lived 5 minutes away. None of the Drs thought I'd make it to 28 weeks. Last Friday after 4 weeks of bedrest I was so proud to walk into my 28 week check up. The Dr couldn't believe it. I had a big day of apts with an ultrasound, gestational diabetes test and OB apt. Luckily they were all in the same building and I laid on a couch in between apts. My ultrasound showed my cervical length at 1.1cm. I was elated as I felt that was little change for 4 weeks. During my Drs apt we decided not to check for dialation as to not interrupt anything. During bedrest I felt like I was slowly losing my mucous plug and at week 27 I felt like they had dropped a little as I was having some pubic pain again so I was relieved to hear my cervical length had little change. I went home and continued with my bed rest. On Monday I was 28w3d and was laying on the couch when I felt a pinch and then a small gush and then another gush. I walked to the bathroom and could see my underwear were more wet than the common discharge. I prayed it wasn't my water but knew I needed to get checked. When I arrived at the hospital they hooked me up to all the baby monitors but took forever (or so it felt) to finally check if my water broke. Unfortunately it did. The Dr went to check for dialation and instantly said we need to get to the OR ASAP as she could feel a foot. I broke down in tears as they rushed me in for an emergency csection. My water broke at 11am and I delivered at 12:54 and 12:56pm. I am now 2 1/2 days into my preemie experience and already have had to deal with a visit letting me know one of them likely had a massive brain bleed and wouldn't make it. I can't even explain the devastation. Luckily the scan came back with no bleeds but I can tell this is going to be a long bumpy road. I am grateful for the 4 weeks of bedrest I got in and could give the babies. I wish I could say I could have been stricter on bedrest but I was following the only get up for bathroom and quick meal (cereal, etc). I only showered twice a week and only once did I was my hair. I remember having days wondering if bed rest was worth it or if it really helped. What I can say is you will not regret it. As sad as I am to have them deliver so early and to be experiencing the NICU I can say I am at peace knowing I did all I can to prolong the pregnancy. Good luck to everyone on bedrest. As much as I was getting achy and "tired" of bedrest Id do anything for just a few more weeks to have had them later!

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016 at 02:36 AM »
Thanks for the update. Congratulations on a further 4 weeks but sorry to here they are already here. Good thing is though you got the steriod shots in. What have you named them? There is some great success stories for 28 weekers, and ino your journey will be up and down but never give up. Please keep us updated - Good luck with everything, thoughts are with you and your family!

Hopefulandterrified

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016 at 06:17 AM »
We had two fraternal girls named Isabella Lynn and Olivia Ann

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016 at 11:49 AM »
Beautiful names!! And in the midst of all that is going on, congratulations on your girls. You did an awesome job getting them to 28 weeks (which is a big milestone). Please keep up updated about how you and your girls are doing.
Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you.

Smittymelly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016 at 01:22 PM »
Congratulations on the birth of your twin girls. Even though they came earlier than you would have liked, your bedrest up until them allowed them to grow a little more and get stronger. I hear girls do very well in nicu. It won't be easy but soon you will have your girls home. When they allow you, ask to do kangaroo care so that you can hold them because I'm sure they want to be close to their mamma. Praying for you and your girls, for a healthy, speedy recovery.

Mrs.genco1216

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016 at 03:58 PM »
Hi ladies!! Idk if I'm posting this in the right place but I wanted to introduce myself to u all. My name is Debbie and I am 18 weeks pregnant with didi twins, and I just got some scary news on Friday. Went in for u/s and my cervical length is 1.3. Was sent home on strict bed rest only. I fought to get the vaginal suppositories which I am now on day 2 of. I came here for support and some success stories that I'm grateful I see a lot of. I am astounded at the strength and courage u beau women have. I am currently on the couch, either I'm here or in bed and im trying to stay off my feet as much as I can. Praying daily and almost every hour. I tried for 7 years to have my babies and I'll stop,at nothing to keep em cooking!!!????????
Next check is on the 23rd, So I have a few days to go. But weeks till viability. Praying for a miracle and for all of u!!!!! ????????????????

Kmm05

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016 at 06:38 PM »
Congratulations on your girls!  It may be hard to see it now, but those 4 extra weeks you gave your girls was huge!  And they are in so much better shape now because of what you did for them.  I hope your NICU stay is short and as uneventful as possible.  I know there will be ups and downs but hopefully many more ups.  I whole-heartedly second what smittymelly said about kangaroo care.  That will be great for all of you.  I will be praying for you and your little ones.