Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: **UPDATE** 20 weeks w twins, 1.8cm cervix  (Read 2521 times)

EMAD017

• View Profile
**UPDATE** 20 weeks w twins, 1.8cm cervix
« on: February 11, 2016 at 08:25 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm Elle from Australia. I'm 20+4 weeks with twins, conceived after almost three years of trying with IVF. I've had a few complications with this pregnancy: ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome (OHSS), 7L of fluid drained from my abdomen, once that settled down I had two big period-like bleeds in my 12th and 14th week which were attributed to a low-lying placenta.

At my 19w morphology scan we were so happy to see that the placenta had moved out of the way and the babies are doing great. During the same scan, we were told my cervix had shortened to 19mm. I was started immediately on progesterone suppositories twice a day and 30mg Procardia (nifedipine) twice a day for tightness in my tummy (I find I'm tight when standing, it's like I've run out of room in my belly but when I'm lying down everything feels soft, so I'm not sure if these are braxton hicks, has anyone had similar w twins?). I'm on weekly ultrasounds, this week's showed my cervix is dynamic, it ranged from 22m - 18mm, no funnelling, mucus plug intact. One of the babies is constantly kicking my cervix but OB has assured me that won't bring on labour, or be a cause of cervix shortening. I'm on strict bed rest, I get up only for toilet breaks, quick meal prep and shower every second day. If my cervix reduces any further before 24w I'll be offered a pessary, my obstetrician says cerclage is also an option however has not been shown to be as beneficial with twins.

Some days I'm ok, others I'm stressed out. I love these babies so much already and I'm petrified of losing them early. My husband is confident that we will get through this fine, I'm just terrified of every little change in symptoms. I'm usually laid back and optimistic, but I've become so scared. I made a little countdown calendar to 24w, our current goal, which I've stuck up next to our bed and every morning I tick off a day which has helped keep me focused.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story, any advice, suggestions or similar experiences are greatly appreciated xxx
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016 at 11:10 PM by EMAD017 »

ceecee31

• View Profile
Re: 20 weeks w twins, 1.8cm cervix
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016 at 10:19 AM »
Hi Elle! Welcome to this site. I hope that you find it as encouraging and helpful as I have. It is full of such great advice and really inspiring stories of women who have kept their little ones cooking for far longer than anyone could expect.

Whenever I had a bad day (or am having a bad day) checking out the success stories always helps calm me down. It's such a scary and overwhelming experience, that being able to connect with others who are in the same boat is very reassuring (or it is for me).

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. The key, I think, is to rest as much as you can and stay off your feet, particularly in the early days. Sometimes it feels a bit excessive but I truly believe that being extra diligent is what has gotten me so far.

Countdowns and goals are so important to staying motivated. I would celebrate each day and really celebrate each extra week. And slowly, very slowly, the days turned into weeks... and before I knew it I was watching my goals fly by. I'm 36 weeks (37 on Sunday) and once thought I'd be lucky to hit 26 or 28 weeks. When you think of the entire 'journey' (sorry for cliche terms, but not sure what else to call it) it is super terrifying, but when you focus on just making it one more day, it gets a bit more manageable.

Stay off your feet as much as you can. And if you can spend most of your time laying down. You'll have to let some things go - like a clean house - and you'll have to fight against your nesting instincts as well, but just keep at it!! You can do this. :)

Wishing you all the best.

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016 at 11:26 AM »
Hi Elle, sorry to hear about your journey so far but welcome to the site.

I have been on bedrest for 19 weeks now and setting goals and getting into a routine has been key for me. It makes the days go a bit quicker when you plan out what your doing in the day. I caught up and organised all my photos and put them in albums, also have friends visit me (try and do 2 a week), I tried to read and colour but found it a bit boring. As ceecee recommended the stories on here are interesting and depending on what week I am on, I search and read stories from people in the same week.

Your feelings are natural, we just want are healthy babies so much, I have regularly felt anxious, worried, scared and upset. But every day your babies are inside you is an achievement and is another day they are cooking. It's very easy to think about the negatives, be sure to appreciate the positives aswel.

My tummy is rock solid when standing and then very soft when lying down, are you quite slender built? I've had it al my pregnancy and I'm having a singleton so I wouldn't worry about it. I feel like sometimes I have ran out of space and is very tight.

As ceecee said, try and stay off your feet as much as possible, there has been a few mothers on here who have recently just delivered twins so there stories may be useful to you. Keep going and make sure you kee up updated!

Smittymelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016 at 09:00 AM »
Hey there Elle
Wow I'm so sorry you had to go through those initial scares with your pregnancy though I'm so happy you joined this forum because it is so positive, everyone is great and we are all dealing with the same issues and it's helpful to hear what worked for others.
You should also search some of the twin success stories- I'm not sure if they had cerclages or not.
I just want to say that with bedrest, miracles happen. I was told at 21 weeks that my chances weren't good, my MFM doctor was ready eyed when giving me the news and here I am at 34 weeks tomorrow.
Last checked my cervix was at 1.1 at 32 weeks but they don't seem as concerned anymore.
Did they mention anything about the steroids for the babies lungs? I would suggest asking when you could receive it as it does wondrous things to help babies lungs develop should the babies arrive early.
Stay hydrated, relax, catch up on crafts, knit, watch tv and have someone bring you your meals.
Keep us updated.
Take care

EMAD017

• View Profile
Re: **UPDATE** 20 weeks w twins, 1.8cm cervix
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016 at 11:13 PM »
Thank you all for sharing and your kind words of support. At my weekly scan today at 21+2, my cervix has shortened to 11mm (7mm change since last week). My obstetrician will be performing an emergent cerclage in a few hours from now. I'm worried sick but trying to be as strong as I can xx

Natlg

• View Profile
Re: **UPDATE** 20 weeks w twins, 1.8cm cervix
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016 at 02:32 AM »
Good luck with the cerclage, I have one in and I think it just gives that extra bit of comfort. You are doing the right thing, it will be over in no time. Make sure you rest up after!