Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: ***UPDATE*** Just found out I have short cervix @ 21 weeks  (Read 3528 times)

sillybaby

• View Profile
***UPDATE*** Just found out I have short cervix @ 21 weeks
« on: February 15, 2016 at 04:04 PM »
Last Tuesday at my anatomy scan, my doctor found my cervix was short. I want to say that they said it was 1.2, but I don't remember. Just this past Saturday I got a scare with either some really wet discharge or urine leak and thought it was my amniotic fluid so I went to the ER to get checked out and it was thankfully nothing, but they said that my cervix measured  1.6. Either way it's short and I'm scared. I had one early miscarriage before my son and now I'm terrified of losing a perfectly healthy little girl.

I go in for another scan tomorrow at which time I will be asking my doctor a million questions and am considering if I should request a cerclage. I've been on modified bed rest all week, and with an active 2 year old running around, that's not easy to do, and it's been super depressing for me to not be able to pick him up when he wants me to. He likes for me to pick him up so he can give me hugs and kisses and for some reason to him it's not the same to do this while I'm sitting down.

I'm just having a real hard time with all of this and am scared about what's going to happen next.

***UPDATE***
I saw the high risk OB yesterday (Wednesday) and was told I have a dynamic cervix. My cervix is funneling to .7cm on the part closest to my uterus, but the bottom portion is completely closed, and is fluctuating between 2.5cm and 1.6cm. She also said I am not a candidate for a cerclage because I did have one child at term and have no history of 2nd trimester losses. She said I could elect it, but she really doesn't know if it would be beneficial, so I've been given vaginal progesterone and was told to "take it easy", but I am on pelvic rest. I will be seeing her every 2 weeks for FFN tests (Fetal Fibronectin) until I'm released from care, which I'm assuming means until I reach term or things settle.

So that's where I stand right now. I'm feeling way more positive now after talking to her. I will be taking things very cautiously, but at least now I know someone has my care in mind and a specific plan.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016 at 12:28 PM by sillybaby »

Smittymelly

• View Profile
Re: Just found out I have short cervix @ 21 weeks
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016 at 08:14 PM »
Hello there!
I know what you're going through. I found out at the exact same time ( 21 weeks) that my cervix was short ( 1.6). The week before it was 3.6 so that was what was so concerning - it had dropped 2 cm in 1 week.
I got on strict bedrest and progesterone suppositories from that day on, weekly transvaginal ultrasounds and here I am st 34 weeks!
I have my last scan tomorrow!
If they offer you a cerclage - go for it!
Also get the steroid shots to develop babies lungs.
Bedrest did wonders I believe and I hope you take it easy and ask others for help. The first few weeks will be very difficult but once you are in a routine, you will feel so much more positive.
Best of luck and keep us posted.

sillybaby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016 at 08:43 PM »
What does bed rest entail? Am I supposed to seriously just lay in bed on my side all day or can I do other things throughout the day? Can I be reclined instead of laying?  Of course I'm going to ask my doctor these same questions but am curious as to what others experiences have been.

Smittymelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016 at 09:06 PM »
I'm lying down all day. I alternate from left to right side. i get up to use the washroom, sometimes I switch couches and bathe 1x a week upstairs ( I know it's gross especially from someone who showers daily) but stairs put a lot of pressure so I avoid them.
My outings are hospital and doctors appointments. I even get wheeled at the hospital. I plan on getting off bedrest at 37 weeks.

Some doctors think it's better to have a modified bedrest approach because they are worried about blood clots but my legs are constantly moving - can't get comfy anymore

Ask your doctor but I believe it helped me tremendously because gravity puts pressure.
Hope this helps.

sillybaby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016 at 09:44 PM »
Oh that's going to be so hard for me. I have a 2 year old to care for too.  :-\

Smittymelly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016 at 10:16 PM »
I hear you. My daughter just turned 2 yesterday and I did absolutely everything with her. We had to hire help and my mom and hubbies mom helps out. Hubby gives me breakfast to feed her. We read/ colour and watch Barney together. It was hard at first but she's gotten used to it.

wannabe42weeker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016 at 05:48 PM »
Did you have your scan? Hopefully cervix is stable and you're on progesterone!

sillybaby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016 at 05:54 PM »
I saw my Ob this morning. I went from 2.0 a 1.6 in a week. She referred me to a high risk OB and I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon. She says they expect to put me on progesterone and I'm thinking of requesting a cerclage for peace of mind.  I'll be 22 weeks tomorrow, so if we do the cerclage (from everything I've read) it would need to be now.

bohdismama

• View Profile
Re: ***UPDATE*** Just found out I have short cervix @ 21 weeks
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016 at 05:49 PM »
Hi ladies,

I am there with you.  At my 20 week anatomy scan my cervix was at 2.67, two weeks later it was 1.4...then 1cm  now at 29 weeks I measured at only 4mm.  Ive been on vaginal progesterone since week 20 and had a pessary put in today and steroid shots.  Mentally this is so hard and emotional.  I just want to get to 32 weeks so I can rest that my son will be ok.  This is my first child and it has been so scary since the cervix was diagnosed.  If anyone had any advice or or questions, I would love to chat.  Good luck ladies. :)

sillybaby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016 at 10:27 PM »
I wish I could offer advice, but you're actually further along than I am. I am making little milestones. My next milestone is to get to 24 weeks. I'll breathe a little easier if I can get to 24. At that point I'll set a new one, this way it gives me something to strive for and hopefully make time pass a little quicker.

This is absolutely hard and very emotional. I have a child already, but I very much love this one already and want her to be safe and healthy.

bohdismama

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016 at 12:44 PM »
I totally understand.  My first goal was to 28 now I just pray we get to 32.  Wish you and your little one lots of strength! You'll get there!  Let me know if you have any questions! :)

Smittymelly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016 at 03:23 PM »
Sillybaby, I'm sorry the dr isn't offering you a cerclage. They didn't offer it to me either. If possible you can get a second opinion.

I also wanted to mention that I too had a little funneling at the top but closed at the bottom for a lot of my scans. Sometimes it would close up, sometimes it would open. My cervix is considered dynamic because it fluctuates.

There's a lady here who held on to a cervix of 0 for weeks, so anything is possible.
Some people have a long cervix and they go into labour early and others with a short cervix who are monitored closely and are on bedrest who make it well into their 30's.

My only advice would be to stay hydrated, distract yourself with activities you can do lying down, and stay off your feet. I have literally been lying down for 14 weeks this Sunday.
Last Sunday I sat at the table just so I can sing my daughter happy birthday and have cake and then back on the couch.

It's hard but time passes before you know it. 20-28 weeks are the longest, and the rest goes quickly.

bohdismama

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016 at 08:07 AM »
Oh girl I feel for you.  I cant imagine going through this with another little one at home.  The doc told me that cerclage is great but only in the beginning. before 16-18 weeks.  Many high risks to baby after that she said it can cause infection inside the womb if they accidentally nick something putting it in.  She did say if I have another they absolutely will put one in..not sure if that explains anything for you.  I have just been taking it easy no travelling no exercise just normal putzing around the house.  Stay strong it will all be good in the end :)