Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: *Update*Anyone have a false positive FFN?  (Read 1531 times)

Trying2beHopeful

• View Profile
*Update*Anyone have a false positive FFN?
« on: February 19, 2016 at 04:46 PM »
I'm 23weeks. I have an ffn test scheduled for Tues, will be 24weeks then. I've been looking into it and while a negative test is very reliable, you can get a false positive sometimes. Just wondering if anyone has gotten a false positive?

*Update*
I had my ffn early this week. Negative! It's nice to get some good news  :) Doc even said my cervical length looked better than last time. About 3.2 at the longest. I have another scan in 5 days, hopefully the length is still good.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016 at 06:34 PM by Trying2beHopeful »

Vaida83

• View Profile
Re: Anyone have a false positive FFN?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016 at 05:18 PM »
I had one positive at 26 weeks and I'm still cooking at 32 weeks. Just stay positive and keep hydrated.

Trying2beHopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016 at 06:12 PM »
That's what I needed to hear. Thanks. :)

After your positive ffn, did your doc put you in the hospital for monitoring or anything? My doc says she'll monitor me for contractions and maybe steroid shots. Just wondering what happened after your positive ffn?

Also unrelated question, have you yet or when did you start getting your nursery ready? I've had 2 previous losses so my husband and I are hesitant to start preparing. I'm going to post this question on the forum too, just to see what other people say.

Good luck to you.

Kmm05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016 at 07:15 PM »
I've been down the pre-term labor/bedrest path three times and had multiple ffn tests during each of them.  And almost all of the results were positive (my very first with my second daughter was negative).  With each of them my first positive was around 24 weeks (give or take) and they were born between 31 and almost 35 weeks.  So it is totally possible to get a positive and not have the baby within the next two weeks.  A negative result is much more accurate.  I feel like a lot of doctors don't tell you that, just that a negative is a good result and then you freak out because a positive must mean the opposite right?  As for your other question about what happened after the positive, with each of the girls I had the first test because I had gone to the hospital because of contractions, so I was being monitored anyway.  We did follow up tests after that and I never had any additional monitoring or anything (no more than what I was already having).  Although the positive result is not as reliable, we always took it that way and were more diligent about keeping track of contractions that I was having and going to L&D if I was having too many an hour, even if I felt they weren't "real" contractions.  Our feeling was better to be safe than sorry.  I will agree that staying hydrated is big and really helped to keep at least some of my contractions at bay.