Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Intro, Preterm Labor, IU  (Read 2041 times)

KLR

• View Profile
Intro, Preterm Labor, IU
« on: February 25, 2016 at 07:49 PM »
Hi Guys,

New here but here's my experience so far. It's my 1st pregnancy and started with severe morning sickness (mild HG) at 6 weeks that led to hospitalization for dehydration, a daily regimen of Zofran and Diclegis and a very restricted diet, at 32 weeks I'm still dealing with it daily. Around 20 weeks I was diagnosed with an Irratable Uterus, regularly having having to stop what I was doing, lay down and hydrate in order to keep my contractions under 5 in an hour. I continued to work until 29 weeks when I called my dr because my contractions exceeded 6 in an hour and were becoming increasingly painful. They admitted me and discovered that I was contracting 5 min apart, was 1cm dialated, and my cervix was shortening and funneling. I was given steriod injections and a round of magnesium and kept in the hospital for 4 days until they were able to slow my contractions and transition me to Nifedipine. My FFN tested negative at that time and I was sent home on modified bedrest and Nifedipine 5x a day. At my next appointment I was sent back to the hospital when they discovered I was now dialated to 2cm and my contractions were 10 min apart, I tested FFN neg again and was sent home with the same instructions. After one (mostly) uneventful week I was called in yesterday when my FFN came back positive for monitoring. I am now back home waiting things out and hoping to make it to 34 weeks. We're expecting a baby girl.

Vaida83

• View Profile
Re: Intro, Preterm Labor, IU
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016 at 10:45 PM »
It's seems that you're being closely monitored which is a good thing. Just go with the flow. Babies born in the 30's gestational weeks do fairly well. I hope that you and your little one makes it to 34 weeks. Congrats because 32 weeks is a good week to be at.

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016 at 08:43 AM »
Welcome to the site and congratulations for making it to 32 weeks. How are your contractions at the moment? There has been many ladies on here that have had a positive FFN test that don't deliver until 6 plus weeks down the line so just because it is positive don't think your journey is over. Hang on in there, keep hydrated and get those legs up. Keep us updated and good luck.

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016 at 09:41 AM »
Hi KLR - sounds like despite all of your struggles you have been doing such an awesome job taking care of your little one. And 32 weeks is amazing. When I git 32 weeks my nurses were really positive because they said that it is a huge milestone jump for babies.
Keep resting as much as you can and stay off your feet.

KLR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016 at 12:06 PM »
Thanks Guys. It's been a big relief to get this far... Just hoping we can hang in there a little longer. She's breech so I'm also really hoping she turns around before it's time to deliver!

Natig, they're pretty controlled at the moment as long as I don't do anything crazy... Like sit up or try standing for any length of time. I'm having between 3-4 an hour but that's pretty normal for me. The only real change is that they're becoming more painful and lasting longer than before.

wannabe42weeker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016 at 01:25 PM »
Welcome KLR, irritable uterus buddy! With my first pregnancy, (I thought) everything was progressing smoothly until my water broke at 35.5 weeks. It turns out that all of the "Braxton-Hicks" contractions I had been having were "real" contractions. My contractions are never really all that painful (until active labor, of course, I'm not that lucky), but they are definitely plentiful and definitely change my cervix as I found out with my second pregnancy (diagnosed preterm laborer at 31 weeks, delivered at 33). My first was breech so I know that feeling: turn, baby, turn! Are you on progesterone? I'm 27 weeks with my third, doing daily Prometrium suppositories and hoping that keeps things calm. The good news is that most likely your little girl will be healthy and strong! My 33-weeker just had to spend a few weeks in the NICU so she could learn how to eat and has been great ever since (she's 3.5 now)!

KLR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016 at 08:33 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, let's hope things stay calm and uneventful for both of our "cranky" uterus as my husband likes to call it. My ob hasn't brought up progesterone as an option but they don't seem as worried about my cervical length as everything else... It has stayed around 2cm at it's shortest. I'm up to every 4 hours with the Nifedipine to keep the contractions in check.