Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Seriously Ladies, I think i might explode!! Help!  (Read 4781 times)

drapkowicz

• View Profile
Seriously Ladies, I think i might explode!! Help!
« on: May 16, 2010 at 09:51 AM »
Ok, so i have been on hospital bedrest for 3 and half weeks and laying around all day has derailed my digestive tract.  My body doesn't react well to change or stress, especially my intestines....Over the last few weeks of being here i have experienced the worst gas pains of my life. On more than one occasion i was scared that i was in labor.  My pain level during some of these "episodes" is like an 8 or a 9! I cry and nearly come off the bed in pain.   I am in so much discomfort nearly all the time, not to mention the sheer embaressment of calling a false alarm for gas and bloating.  They have put me on simethicone tablets 4 times a day, but it doesnt seem to be helping.  I don't seem to be constipated which is good but i wake up in the middle of night with pain and i just dont pass anything!! Two times in the past week i had pain so bad i started contracting 4 mins apart, which is a nitemare in itself because then i have to be rushed downstairs to labor and delivery where they insert a painful iv, draw more blood, pelvic exams, the whole wretched nine yards.... I am scared to eat anything because i dont want to contract and be in pain.  I know it is builing up because i am not moving, and now that i have had contractions, they aren't going to allow me to walk anymore than neccessary...does anyone else have this horrible  side effect of being pregnant and on bedrest????  I feel this is the worst thing about being here....its making me really depressed and very snipy because i want help!!! I am looking at a possible 6.5 more weeks of this and i really dont think i can stand it! ???  I am only 27 wks and 4 days so i have to hang on for my liitle guy, any suggestions would be great!
Thank you.
Danielle

MVetter1211

• View Profile
Re: Seriously Ladies, I think i might explode!! Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010 at 03:27 PM »
I am sorry to hear of this!  Sometimes I get that feeling in my stomach that you get when you have diarrhea.  I never have to go to bathroom when I feel like this though.  It's only happened a couple of times so I don't know if it's something I ate or what.  I have learned that you feel all kinds of things when you're pregnant!  I don't know how to help you but I would tell the doctors/nurses that what they are giving you right now isn't working.  Just keep telling yourself this is not a permanent situation and it will all be over soon!  :)

LadyMtBiker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010 at 10:19 AM »
drapkowicz, I hope you are feeling better.  That is some serious gas pain!  I would certainly be concerned about what I'm eating too if it causes so much pain and contractions ...or can be mistaken for contractions.  I've had issues w/ gas & find they are resolved with proper food combining.  When do you notice it most?  Here are some food combinations that cause gas (so don't eat them together):

fruit & nuts (e.g. no PBJs, just PBs or Js... :-) )
fruits & starchy vegetables (e.g. no fruit with or after a broccoli/potato meal)

No beans or legumes that were not soaked and drained before cooking (soaking helps them to be more digestible, removing 'toxins', I   think, and enzyme inhibitors)

There are more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

I hope you welcome such nutrition info.  People often do not realize how food affects their wellbeing.   I am not a nutritionist but have read so much about it in the last decade.  I love living foods too... and, although I am an engineer, I am a certified living foods chef too.  Of course, I wish I could have had a living-foods pregnancy, but there is just only so much time.

I'd write more, but I'm on my mobile w/ no internet... for a week or so.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010 at 10:58 AM by LadyMtBiker »

LadyMtBiker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010 at 10:24 AM »
It's interesting you mention that the gas gets 'stuck' b/c you're not moving.  Are you allowed to do pelvic rocks?  You get on all fours and rock your pelvis...google it.  If so, I've noticed that helps get the gas out.

Update: I googled and found it on a website which also said to do abdominal breathing for gas.  I can see how that would help.  The mamasonbedrest blog mentioned that some women on bedrest have shortness of breath...probably b/c they are breathing w/ their chest (shallow) instead of their abdomen (deep).  Check out that blog...don't have it off the top of my head... I'm replying from mobile phone.)

Breathe deeply.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM by LadyMtBiker »

LadyMtBiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010 at 11:11 AM »
Forgot 1 more tip of advice:  Allow 3-5 hrs between meals so food can digest...otherwise, it will sit in your intestines (most likely) rotting & producing gas while it digests your newly eaten food.  No snacking either.  It's not an easy one though and I'm not sure if I'd recommend it (b/c I'm not 'qualified') and, I know I get hungrier more often now!  And I eat often.

Oh yeah, and milk combined w/ sugar also produces gas.  (i.e. no ice cream)

Every body is different, so although my body could use properly combined foods, my hubby can eat anything and not be affected.  Guess he just digests better than I do.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010 at 11:14 AM by LadyMtBiker »

drapkowicz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010 at 11:36 AM »
Thank you so much for the info.  I am trying to pay attention to what i eat and in what combinations.  I have noticed that i cannot eat alot of dairy and nothing fried or greasy.  I will look into the breathing because i definetely have the shortness of breath.  I just contributed it to getting bigger.  There is so many things about bedrest that i never really thought about, or knew about.  Its crazy how much this has changed me and my family.  Like i said earlier, i am on hospital bedrest so that makes it a little different but its very difficult to be so uncomfortable and in pain when there are about a million doctors and nurses around.  They seemed sort of baffled by the whole thing, so they are experimenting with another medicine they give women for other symtoms and so far i do feel better.  So....we will see.  Thanks again and if anymore comes to mind, let me know!
Danielle

bianca419

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010 at 03:28 PM »
Those gas pains you describe are exactly why I ended up in the hospital at 23 weeks begging for mercy! The gas pains were also causing contractions or the contractions were happening in tandem- the doctors could never say for sure, but the thing that helped my inflamed bowels right off the bat was Indocin. They can't give this to you for too long of a period of time because it's an anti-inflammatory drug but they gave it to me for just a few days to calm down my intestines. And it really worked. Then they put me on a stool softener that was safe for the baby."Colace" is the brand name or Ducosate is the generic. This helped things get moving. What was causing the gas pains was extreme constipation because of all the antacids I was taking for the indigestion I had - talk about a vicious cycle! Simethicone also did not work for me. After that i was put on strict home bed rest for 13 weeks and I continued to take the stool softener until I was put off bed rest. They had me on it twice a day at the hospital but that was too much for me (it caused diahrea), so I took one every few days.  Now, at 39 weeks and off strict bed rest, I eat one or two prunes a day and that does the trick.

drapkowicz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010 at 10:36 AM »
Thank you all for your suggestions.  I am looking in to them all.  The last couple of days have been good, as far as gas goes, so i hope i am leveling out, but i've been wrong before, and because it can hit in an instant i am nervous of another "episode". Thank you so much.