Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 24 weeks and new to the group  (Read 2329 times)

Hellieo

• View Profile
24 weeks and new to the group
« on: February 29, 2016 at 04:49 AM »
I'm not sure what I'm meant to do here but I'm new and I e just joined up. I'm 24 weeks and just found out my cervix is 17mm.  I'm on progesterone but I have no idea what to do about this bed rest thing.  All my doctor said was try and spend 6 hours a day horizontal. So I thought I had some flexibility to do some stuff for the remainder of the day but still take it easy. But I see that some people here are a lot stricter including not even showering for days. So I am a bit scared and unsure what to do.  My first monitoring visit with my doctor since discovering my short cervix is Wednesday so I guess I will find out more then what is happening but just a bit confused right now..

ceecee31

• View Profile
Re: 24 weeks and new to the group
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016 at 11:25 AM »
Hi Hellieo - Welcome to this site. Not long ago I was where you were - 24 weeks and finding out that my cervix was short. And not really understanding what that meant and what I should do. I was completely devastated and overwhelmed. I had gone from a totally easy to pregnancy to being told my cervix was suddenly 1.5cms (about 15 mm). My cervix has bounced up and down between 15mm to (at best) 28 mm.

Finding this site was a huge help for me though and I was able to draw on the experiences of so many other women, which has been so valuable. I hope that you can find the same comfort and support that I have.

I was on progesterone until 34 weeks, so it seemed to have helped. I was also pretty strict with my bed rest as well. When I looked at the success stories on this site, I just learned from the women who were 'ahead' of me and took their advice. And it has worked (or something has worked) because I'm 39 weeks pregnant and waiting for my baby to arrive any day now.

From when I was first diagnosed to about 30 weeks, I was really, really strict because I was so terrified. I was only showering about once a week (used it as a chance to finally train my hair to go longer between shampoos) and spent most of the day on my sides laying down. I sat up to eat and every now in then, for short periods, if I was in a lot of pain. I'd say 95% of my day was laying down though. It seemed extreme, but I was desperate. My husband packed me lunches and left them beside my bed with a jug of water so I wouldn't have to get up. Trips to the washroom were the highlight of my day because it meant I was standing up.

When I hit 30 weeks, I began to shower twice a week and would sit up a few other times during the day for short periods. And as the weeks passed by I would add a tiny bit more into my schedule. I have always spent the overwhelming majority of my day 'resting' though.

I was to be released from bed rest at 34 weeks for my cervix - my doctor said after that point, there really isn't a need for bed rest. Unfortunately at my 34 week appointment my blood pressure went wild and they diagnosed me with gestational hypertension, so I've needed to stay on bed rest (though I'm not nearly as strict as I was before). Now I shower whenever I please and get up a bit to putter around and sit up most of the day, rather than laying down. I am on meds for my BP and have to monitor it at home as well, but so far, so good.

I mentioned this elsewhere on the site, but even though the jury is still out on bed rest, all I can say is that by sticking to what I mentioned above, I've made it to 39 weeks (something that once seemed totally impossible). And there are so many other women on this site who have had great success as well. I really do believe that I wouldn't be at this point without it.

Wishing you all the best - take care of yourself and let us know if you have any questions that we can answer.

Hellieo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016 at 12:34 PM »
Thanks!  That will be tough for me as I also have three other kids! I was hoping as long as I rest for the majority of the day that would be pretty good but I have to do some things for them when they get home. My partner is away most of the time for work so I can't get any help there and I can't afford a nanny. ???? I guess I'll just have to hope for the best!

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016 at 01:27 PM »
Reach out to whoever you can find for help and support - friends, neighbours, family members! And if you are careful for most of the day, you can probably get away with doing a bit in the evening.

Are your kids old enough to help out at all - whether with dishes, general tidying, etc? You an always ask your doctor about whether a social worker can connect you with resources in your community.

Hellieo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016 at 07:30 PM »
Thanks, yes have done so.  I've got some people who have volunteered to help for pick up, trying to get kids to help out more with washing and dishes, I've got my mum coming up to help on the weekend. I guess I won't be able to do the super strict bed rest that some manage, hopefully will be enough! My doctor is already looking into the social worker to see if I can get any further support.