Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Just Thrown a Curveball  (Read 4989 times)

ladygartman

• View Profile
Just Thrown a Curveball
« on: May 18, 2010 at 10:15 AM »
When we finally had an end in sight (Amnio and c-section at 37 weeks on Friday May 21 after 10 weeks of hospital bedrest), of course another curve ball was thrown at us. During my ultrasound yesterday, the doctor who is doing my amniocentesis on Friday said there is a possibility he might not. It was unclear at the time, but I have found out that my fluid level is not too low. It is 9.3. If it is below 6, it is considered too risky to keep the baby in there and they deliver. The problem with me is that yesterday, the pockets of fluid seemed to be small and in areas that are hard to draw from (like by the head or umbilical cord). Our lives are so full of unknowns right now it's driving us crazy. Regardless, my doctor is taking me off of meds tomorrow. That could possibly help things.
On Thursday she plans on putting me on IV fluids, which has been known to help with amniotic fluid levels. I will also stop eating late at night on Thursday, just in case I do have the c-section on Friday.

So here is what COULD happen:
1. Everything goes as planned, we have the amnio on Friday, it comes back mature, and we have the baby. If it's not mature, that's another story and I don't want to talk about it.

2. The doctor isn't able to do the amnio because of where the fluid is. Therefore, even if the lungs are mature, we have no way of knowing and my doctor will not do the c-section.

3. If option 2 is the case, my doctor will examine me to see if/how far I am dilated. If I'm not too far along, she might let me go home. Of course, as always, the operative word here is MIGHT. If I'm too far for her comfort, I guess I get a further extended stay while we play the waiting game.

4. I go insane and they send me to the psych ward instead.

So here's to unknowns.

drapkowicz

• View Profile
Re: Just Thrown a Curveball
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM »
Ladygartman, you are killing me!! Im sorry but that made me laugh...only because just when you think you can nail something down,,,ooohh there it goes......I feel your pain. Your situation sucks!! and i feel for you.  Just last night, conviently before dinner here at the hospital, they made me do my glucose test....and at about 10:30 last night the resident tells me i failed and now have to do the 3 hr one or some crap!! I wanted to scream!! I was short of breath all day long due to my baby's new found love of my lungs! and i wanted to go to sleep.  Instead i tossed and turned all night fretting about what horrible thing is gonna happen next!!! Now i feel like crap today... I am so sorry for you the only good thing is, you are so far along compared to most of us on this site.  Did they give you the steroid shots? If so, i think your odds are pretty good.  I hope it all works out for you and if not, i may be joining you at the psych ward!!!  Goodluck, keep your head up, you will see your baby soon!

ladygartman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM »
Yes, I had the steroids 10 weeks ago when I was admitted.  So I agree with you, my chances are pretty good, and I was very optimistic about Friday.  The only thing is now if they can't get the fluid, we have no way of knowing if the lungs are mature or not.  So even if they are (which they probably are), we still can't do the section.  I definitely feel like screaming as well, but that is not very courteous here in the hospital.  I'm sorry about the glucose test!  That stinks!  And I feel your pain about sleeping...my hips are killing me, and since the baby's head is right up under my ribs, I can't find a comfortable position to be in-day or night.  UGH. 

gartmansays

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010 at 11:43 AM »
At any rate, unless they say it's life threatening to do so, I'm going to bust you outta the joint if they don't discharge you. It seems like they're okay with fate taking its course.  ;)

2 more days until we know for sure though!

mktarrant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010 at 11:53 AM »
I was going to ask if you had the steriods too - so at the very least that has to be reassuring no matter what. Ugh I'm so sorry that you don't have any answers right now - you've come a long way though so I'm sending you good vibes and hope for the best!!!! -Michelle

MVetter1211

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010 at 02:50 PM »
Since 37 weeks is considered full term then why are they concerned about his lungs not being mature?

mktarrant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010 at 03:58 PM »
My daughter was born at 37 weeks and was in the NICU for 2 long weeks, intubated for a week...it was hell. 37 weeks doesn't mean anything. Her doctors are being really proactive - keep cooking that baby!

gartmansays

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010 at 04:17 PM »
Since 37 weeks is considered full term then why are they concerned about his lungs not being mature?

Honestly, that's my biggest question to our doctor. Not only has he been ahead of schedule in terms of gestational age, he's had a round of steroids as well. I just don't get it. The only thing we keep getting from the doctor is that they don't schedule c-sections until 39 weeks.

mktarrant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010 at 04:37 PM »
That's not a bad thing, I promise you! Babies born between 37-38 weeks tend to have many more complications than those born at 39 weeks. Hang in there!

drapkowicz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010 at 10:32 AM »
Ladygartman,
Hey, i know my doc said sometimes they will give a second dose of steroids if it's been a while since the first round.  I know that every doctor is different and their protocol varies...unfortunately you can't force them into anything.....and sometimes they look slightly annoyed when you say " i read online....that..." but sometimes that's the only way to feel like you know all of your options!  My thoughts are with you.  Keep us updated if you get an answer.
Danielle