Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Preterm labor at 26+0 weeks  (Read 5316 times)

head2toe

• View Profile
Preterm labor at 26+0 weeks
« on: May 04, 2016 at 11:48 AM »
Hi all,

I am finding everyone's stories to be helpful, so here is my own.

I had a relatively uneventful pregnancy (first time mom) and fell off my bike at 26+0 weeks. It was a very minor scrape of the knee since I fell while the bike wasn't really moving but it did have my heart pounding. Didn't hit my belly and just continued to bike home. I had some LLQ cramps that were quite intense and decided to go to triage 3 hours later. Initially, they thought nothing about anything - I was to get steroids and go home as a precaution. Then they checked my cervix and said it was short and 1-2 cm dilated. An hour later contractions started and I was moved to L&D for steroids, Mg sulfate, antibiotics and adalat. Contractions settled the next day but resumed the next after I went to the antenatal floor. Adalat used to stop them again. My cervix was measured as 1.5 cm (1.3-1.6 cm on the same scan) and 1-2 cm dilated by cervical exam (closed on ultrasound). I was admitted for rest in the hospital until 28 weeks then hopefully can go home to rest.

I don't know what my cervix was before but because I am dilated, I am not being treated with a cerclage or progesterone. Didn't do fibronectin since it wouldn't change management. Would consider once a day adalat but since I haven't had contractions for the past few days, I am holding off.

Here's to cooking this one until full term!

I am not on full bed rest more of a modified rest but curious to hear about others being so strict.

Mabel0706

• View Profile
Re: Preterm labor at 26+0 weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016 at 08:05 PM »
Welcome head2toe :)
That all sounds so scary but great that you're getting such good care.  Will be great to hit that 28 wk milestone and get to go home!
I know what you mean, it is interesting to see what different doctors say about bedrest.  I'm allowed up for a shower each day, bathroom breaks and to quickly grab something to eat from the kitchen but that's about it.  I have a two year old though. I'm lucky that I've been able to get some extra daycare for her and my husband and family have been great, but there are times when only mum will do, so i do end up getting up more often than I probably should.
Anyway hang in there and keep us posted!!

KayKay27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016 at 04:18 PM »
Welcome! This is a great site to be on during your journey. 28 weeks is not that far away for you, you are doing the right thing by taking it day by day.
I am currently 27+5, I will make my first goal of 28 weeks Saturday. I too am hoping for 32 weeks. I have a history of two preterm births (23 weeks and 36 weeks) have a shortened cervix (1.8 today) and I contract A LOT! I received the steroids yesterday just to be safe. Hopefully we have many more weeks to go!

head2toe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016 at 05:47 PM »
Thanks for reaching out, guys. Nice to connect with others going through the same thing.

My OB actively encourages me to walk around and such ("have you been able to go outside and get some sun?") but I feel like a ticking time bomb at times. I am much happier to be at the hospital than worrying at home (at least for now).

Here's to happy thoughts and enjoying each day as it comes. :)

KayKay27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016 at 07:03 PM »
Doctors have varying opinions on bed rest and activity level. Mine has said she isn't comfortable with me running errands, but I am able to make a light lunch and move from room to room. I do get outside and sit and watch my son when the weather cooperates. It does help my mood.

head2toe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016 at 08:58 PM »
UPDATE

29+0 today
Was discharged home to rest at 28+1 after a cervical check confirmed it was stable (dilated at 2 cm).

Follow-up appointment was earlier this week. A transvag ultrasound was mistakenly ordered which showed it is now 0.9 cm (it was 1.3-1.6 cm at 26+0 weeks). The covering OB said cervix lengths usually get shorter with pregnancy, so this is no surprise and should not have been repeated. I see a lot of posts from women who have serial transvag ultrasounds, so that's interesting.

Otherwise, still happy to be pregnant! :)

KayKay27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016 at 10:49 AM »
That's great news you get to go home! And 29 weeks is good :) I'm 29+5 today and feeling good to get this far :)

BunNumber3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016 at 02:06 AM »
I've had, I think, 4 trans vag ultrasounds so far, I think? Is there some reason that that's not a good idea?

head2toe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016 at 09:48 AM »
I've had, I think, 4 trans vag ultrasounds so far, I think? Is there some reason that that's not a good idea?

I will guess you are in the US?
I don't think there is any harm in doing transvag ultrasounds, but for me, they are unnecessary. We already know my cervix is short and dilated. If my cervix changes from 9 mm to 3 mm, they won't be doing anything differently (I am already admitted and on rest), so why check?

So my update is that at 31+1, I was readmitted to the hospital with abnormal dopplers, IUGR and a marginal umbilical cord insertion with variable decels.  Had a trip to L&D for continuous monitoring when the decels were frequent with contractions but it resolved by itself and I am back to antenatal.

32+1 today!

head2toe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016 at 08:06 AM »
I had been getting progressively worse decels (on Monday I had a variable decel lasting 4 minutes that freaked me out), but my dopplers were stable. I had spoken with my OB about doing an amnio for fetal lung maturity and if favourable, just deliver the baby. I had decided not to do a trial of labour and just do a planned C/S because if babe didn't like my uterus with my cushy amniotic fluid, then unlikely they would like it without out.
However, hours within deciding this (but before we had actually done the amnio), my membranes ruptured. I was 32+6. We waited to see what my body would do. I had a few small contractions but we decided not to delay any longer, and I went to L&D for an oxytocin drip to see how baby would cope with an induction of labour. My team was hopeful I would be a quick delivery since I had a favourable cervix to start (short and 2 cm dilated) but I had my doubts. But still hopeful because I would like to avoid a surgery if possible.
My baby did not like the contractions and eventually we converted to an emergency C/S. It was a difficult C/S but baby was born at 33+0 (we passed midnight!). Baby needed to be resuscitated but afterwards has been breathing by himself on room air. We've been visiting him in the NICU but hopeful he will mostly be a grower and feeder!

Thanks for all your support ladies. I made it 7 weeks, from 26 weeks to 33 weeks, which is awesome and still proud we made it this far together. :)

rosebud

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016 at 11:46 AM »
I'm so thrilled to send another congratulations out :) Enjoy your precious new baby and best of luck with the NICU stay. Hope your c/s recovery goes well, too!

KayKay27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016 at 01:03 PM »
Congrats on the arrival of your baby! And how great- to make it 7 more weeks. Keep us posted... Hopefully you cms take baby home soon :)

Mabel0706

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016 at 08:08 AM »
Congratulations!!!! You did so well to get so far :) hope baby is doing well.

head2toe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016 at 07:55 AM »
Update. Babe was in the NICU for 30 days as we worked on him being able to eat at the breast. Had jaundice at the beginning but otherwise doing well.

He had an inguinal hernia which will need surgery in a few months.

Thankfully, he is doing OK. Small but ok! Thanks for all your support, ladies.

head2toe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016 at 07:58 AM »
Also, I forgot to add that i went over the final pathology with my ob and my placenta was the main culprit in all this. Even smaller than my baby!! My ob is hopeful it won't recur if we try to have another baby. We'll see if that ever happens! My husband is not too keen after watching me suffer.