Author Topic: Progesterone?  (Read 2213 times)

mekvien

• View Profile
Progesterone?
« on: June 02, 2016 at 11:25 AM »
Question for those on progesterone! Why do we stop using it at 36-37 weeks? Im on the weekly shot and they have me stop at 36. If it can help me get farther, why not continue to take it?

rosebud

Re: Progesterone?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016 at 07:55 AM »
Mekvien, I'm not 100% sure why. However, my guess is since progesterone is used to prevent preterm labor, you no longer need it once you reach 37 weeks, which is when a pregnancy is considered full term.

mekvien

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016 at 09:02 AM »
Anyone else know? Especially when fullterm isn't actually until 39 weeks

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Progesterone until 36 weeks?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016 at 04:06 PM »
Hi, Mekvien.

You might be surprised to hear that 37 weeks has been considered "full-term" for decades, and it is just over the past three years that the March of Dimes, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine have re-classified full term as 39 to 40 weeks.

Part of the shift has been from research that shows that even babies born at 37 and 38 weeks are more at risk for breathing issues, infection, low blood sugar and jaundice than those born at 39 to 41. There's another effort by the March of Dimes (and the groups mentioned above) to strongly discourage OBs from inducing or performing C-sections before 39 weeks, for those same reasons.

Not all OBs (and most likely the insurance companies who cover the shots) have made the mental shift. A final shot at 36 weeks should get a women to 37 weeks, because of how long the progesterone typically stays in her system.

The good news is that with each OB conference I go to, I see more and more OBs pushing for 39 weeks as the goal.

Positive thoughts coming your way!

--Angela

mekvien

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016 at 10:37 PM »
Thanks Angela!! So I think I'll keep using progesterone suppositories as long as I can.

Here's a weird question.....what if I'm dilated? I pushed one of my progesterone suppositories up there tonight and it felt like it actually kind of went IN my cervix!! I didn't wanna mess around anymore so I left it, but I hope it's not going to hurt anything!!

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016 at 09:52 AM »
Hi, Mekvien. Having the progesterone close to the cervix is how it is believed to work best, so no worries if it is sorta of "in" there. Don't force it, of course, but you should be okay.  :) We all know what it's like to worry about every little thing that could irritate the cervix. Never hesitate to call your OB's office. They will be happy to reassure you. They can let your know at your next appointment if you have been dilating. Positive thoughts coming your way!

pillowqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016 at 12:44 PM »
Thanks Angela about that info regarding the 'new' definition of full term. I was not aware of that and it's definitely something to think about and talk to my doctor about. I'm only 23 weeks so far so it's still quite a ways away but here's hoping I will get there!

mekvien

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016 at 09:42 PM »
Thank you :)

Today the pressure is SO great and I can feel that baby's head is now very much engaged and not bouncing back out at all. I hope to make it 6 more days!

mekvien

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016 at 08:55 AM »
Hi, Mekvien. Having the progesterone close to the cervix is how it is believed to work best, so no worries if it is sorta of "in" there. Don't force it, of course, but you should be okay.  :) We all know what it's like to worry about every little thing that could irritate the cervix. Never hesitate to call your OB's office. They will be happy to reassure you. They can let your know at your next appointment if you have been dilating. Positive thoughts coming your way!

Another question....36+3 today and can get one more P17 shot on Monday when I'm 37w. My cervix is higher and totally closed but baby's head is at a 0 or +1 station!! Of course I want her to cook longer but also don't want a long labor lol. If I skip the last p17 shot, will I progress faster? I'm amazed I'm not dilated yet.

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016 at 10:52 AM »
Active labor is a different process from the gradual cervical shortening and opening that happens toward the end of pregnancy, so another shot is unlikely to affect the length of your labor. The speed of your labor is up to Baby, so just sit back and enjoy the ride! ;)

Is this your first delivery? Labor will likely be about 8 to 12 hours, but really you just can't predict. Future deliveries seem to get shorter and shorter. I've known a few moms who delivered Baby #2 in the car in the hospital parking lot. We made it there just in time for my son (Baby #2). I was laying on the bed in Labor & Delivery trying not to push and yelling, "Can somebody stand down there RIGHT NOW?" There wasn't even time for them to close the door! All in all, it was an hour from the time my water broke until he was born.

If you're not dilated yet and the cervix is still closed, I think you're likely to cook for a few more weeks. Nice work, Mom!  ;D

mekvien

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016 at 07:35 PM »
No this is baby #3. I am progesterone because I went into preterm labor with my last baby, was dilated and effaced by 31 weeks. Had him at 35+5. This time I am not dilated and will be 37w in 3 days. So just wondered if I should get another shot or not. Wasn't sure if it would make a difference and keep me pregnant longer at this point.

StillExpecting

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016 at 12:41 PM »
Hi Ladies!!

On this topic, I need help. I'm 28.5 weeks and I started progesterone suppositories about 7 weeks ago because they found my cervix was at 2.6 cm. Nothing else, just the suppositories and told "take it easy". Now, I'm on bedrest due to further shortening (to 2 cm). I don't have a history of PTL, but my doctor is recommending the Mckena shots. I was all for it initially, but now looking at what it will cost us after we reach our deductible (about 440$ a month!). I also was a little nervous seeing the issue about blood clot risk. I could find nothing really helpful on the internet about choosing one over the other. The suppositories are a pain in the cervix (ha ha!) but if they are as good as the shots, I'm not sure it's worth the switch. The pharmacy has been terrible to deal with and I've already been waiting almost two weeks, only to find they are "waiting on me" to deal with the co-pay, but they never called....anyway! Have you ladies found this worth it or gained any knowledge on shots over suppositories? Some sites say there is no consensus on delivery route or dosage. Thanks muchly!!!

Karen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016 at 04:02 PM »
Stillexpecting: when i first found out im pregnant again this time around i really thought cerclage and progesterone shot would be what they would recommend for me. After a consult with my MFM, he did not recommend the shot due to HE SAID some studies showd that it could actually irritate ur uterus and can start contractions. So, i had cerclage at 12.6 weeks then started suppositories at 16 weeks...never had a problem since. When i was admitted to the hospital they added Procardia 10mg q 8 hrs to prevent contractions in case cause i started funneling to the stitch at 22.5 weeks. Im home now and still taking Procardia and Progesterone. I know suppositories is messy but i learned to deal with it. I just turned 32 weeks yesterday by God's grace...i am extremely grateful yo make it this far along.

StillExpecting

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016 at 11:04 PM »
Thank you, Karon!!! Between the expense and some of the side effects, maybe I'm ok on the suppositories! I was hoping my OB office would call back today to tell me what my doctor said on the difference, but I didn't hear back. You are much more prompt! :) :) :) Thanks so much!