Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: .44 cm Cervix  (Read 3411 times)

MillieChaos

• View Profile
.44 cm Cervix
« on: July 20, 2016 at 02:10 PM »
Been trying for pregnancy since 2010.  Went to IVF method in 2015 and it worked after our second retrieval.  We went in for ultrasound at 20w6d and they found the cervix to be only .44 cm!  My wife was immediately put on bed rest and progesterone suppositories.  A few days later she had some watery discharge (couple tbsps?), so we went to ER believing the worst.  Incredibly, there were no ruptures, so we were elated.  We could not be more attached to this little girl already!  Now, we just passed 26 weeks, and we're feeling a small measure of relief.  I'd love to keep it cookin another month though at least!  Good luck everyone!

MillieChaos

• View Profile
Re: .44 cm Cervix
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016 at 04:55 PM »
I found an interesting chart on preterm birth odds as related to cervical length:

http://desertwomenscare.com/DWC804.html

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016 at 02:59 AM »
Well done for getting past viability stage! Keep doing what your doing as it seems to be working! Keep us updated. Good luck with your journey

Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016 at 06:34 AM »
Thank goodness the membranes are still intact! How are you finding bed rest at home? It was near impossible for me to resist not doing a few extras bit's while en route to the loo so I am on Hospital bed rest now.

I am 27 weeks today, Cervical length 1.5 cm plus funneling. Just had my second dose of steroids and am taking progesterone and Nifidipine.

Everyday makes a huge difference! Hang in there babies!

MillieChaos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016 at 05:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply Amy and Nat.
Amy, from reading your medications, it sounds like you've also got the high blood pressure thing going on?  We have an additional complexity too.  We are injecting lovenox anticoagulant because of a blood clotting history.
I was wondering though, does having an incompetent cervix mean it will likely be a short natural childbirth?

Keepemcookin!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016 at 07:45 PM by MillieChaos »

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016 at 07:48 PM »
I'm not sure if everyone has a fast labour but mine was really really quick. They had to induce me by breaking my waters (which is sort of funny now, given that I was on bed rest for so long).

Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016 at 05:58 PM »
I really hope it does mean a quick natural birth!I think as long as the baby is in the right position and coping well then the chances are good. Yay!

My blood pressure is fine but they are using the Nifidipine as a smooth muscle relaxant to help to stop contractions. My Doctor did say it was something that is debated but because it does no harm, might as well. It's doing harm to my bowels Ill tell you that much!

Have you got compression stockings on? I am also starting on Clexane injections to prevent clots due to the bed rest. Sometimes I feel like I am spending my whole day taking medications!

MillieChaos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016 at 08:57 PM »
No stockings.  We asked, but they told us no.  I also asked about wearing a girdle or something when getting up to shower.  They also said no and then started looking at me like I was a little crazy.  And then when I started wheeling my wife into her appointments, their suspicions were confirmed.  During appointments I think they've started talking directly to her, "are you getting up and moving around some?"... Etc.
It's humorous.  It feels like I have to say "I swear she's not chained to the bed."

Anyways, we are 27 weeks now!
Good luck everyone

MillieChaos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020 at 12:37 PM »
Updating 4 years later: 

Our girl was born healthy and exactly 1 month prior to her due date.  No NICU needed.  Parenthood has been wonderful.  It becomes less and less "work" as she gets older and older.  I have so much love for her that I feel I will burst whenever I look at her.

Good luck to everyone else on here!