Author Topic: Baby positioning  (Read 935 times)

Karen

• View Profile
Baby positioning
« on: August 18, 2016 at 01:57 PM »
Im 25 weeks today. I had an ultrasound 3 weeks ago which showed funneling and shortened cervix even after cerclage. So 3 weeks ago baby's head was up. Now ultrasound shows baby's head is down. Im concern if that should be something i need to worry about. Docs are not wanting to do intravaginal u/s so not to disturb the cervix. Today ultrasound was only to check well being of baby. I have no idea if i am still funneling or how my cervix is measuring...im in hospital bed rest and not able to discuss results with docs til tmrw.

pillowqueen

• View Profile
Re: Baby positioning
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016 at 09:39 PM »
Baby is going to flip all around until about 34 weeks when they settle head down. All my cervical scans showed baby alternating between feet and head, I was always funneling. Once during a scan it looked like baby was doing Riverdance on my cervix - no issues. I think the sac cushions things a bit.

tanya123

• View Profile
    • My Journey with a Short Cervix
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016 at 10:12 PM »
i asked a similar question at my appointment yesterday, and i agree with above... baby can switch positions until 30-something weeks. I was told not to worry about it until then, about 35 weeks or so

Karen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016 at 12:45 AM »
Thank you ladies! Im just so emotional today. Usually, docs comes in the room ask the usual question of "any contractions? Any bleeding? Any unusual discharged?" I say "nope nothing new." Which usually takes literally less than a minute then they go to the next room. Today an on call MFM came in to the room and he stayed longer than any of the docs combined in the past 2 weeks that ive been in hospital bedrest...and told me our goal has to be 28 weeks because although i am at viability stage there could still be risks....NOW my nerve is out of whack!!! Whattt??? Oh how i thought my baby is safe but now i have 3 more weeks of being a worried goose!! I start to think "what ifs, oh no...am i going to even make it to 28 weeks" Im feeling so helpless again and scared. Sorry for being such a downer. I have nobody else to talk to about what im feeling right now. Nobody can understand me besides you ladies. Im trying to put a brave face to my husband and my family.

rosebud

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016 at 10:25 AM »
Karen,

My baby's been head down for a while and I admit that it worried me too. I could feel her movements putting pressure onto my cervix and sometimes I felt like she would push and kick her way out. My doctor reassured me that this was normal and that the baby isn't strong enough to break through the sac. I'm just as nervous now at 33 weeks about it. I try to keep my bladder empty to free up space for baby to move.

Every week after 24 is great for baby and you're already rocking it at 25 weeks. My doc had the head of the NICU come talk to me and my husband when I was 22 weeks pregnant. The NICU doc gave us statistics about viability and the quality of life and expected challenges that come with being born prematurely from 24 weeks and on. It didn't do much for my peace of mind, but I appreciated the honest and open communication. I also read success stories for preemies born at the current gestation week I was in rather than focus on negative outcomes.

BlossominSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016 at 08:45 AM »
Hi Karen, just wanted to send some words of reassurance as you're feeling so worried. My first little boy was head down from 25 weeks and stayed that way until I was induced at 37 weeks. I had a short cervix (1.7cm at 25 weeks), no stitch, no pessaries and was just on bedrest at home. Like you I was so worried but it was never a concern for the doctors and, in my case, didn't mean he was arriving early. I came off bedrest at 36 weeks and was pretty active but still had be induced. So it is possible to keep going until a safer point. I know how hard and frightening it is though as every little sign feels like a worrying one. I'm in that place again now too and just hoping I can keep going.

But you're doing so brilliantly to have reached viability and so now count every day of your rest as an extra day that is making your baby stronger and healthier. You're doing everything you can so already you're a wonderful, loving mom. 28 weeks is a brilliant milestone to aim for next as things get so much safer for babies then. But you're over the biggest hurdle and now every day is a bonus. I used to be a kindergarten teacher and taught several pre-28 weekers who were gorgeous thriving little people. On my most anxious moments I used to think of them to give me hope. And if you have an I-phone or iPad then you can set it up to send you a little motivational message every morning to remind you brilliantly you're doing and how your baby is blossoming.

Take care, lovely, and keep strong.

pillowqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016 at 11:24 AM »
I totally agree with Rosebud about seeing if you can get a NICU pediatrician to come and visit you to go over stats. We did that at 23 weeks and it was strangely more reassuring to have facts than worries and fears. Even at 26 weeks babies do extremely well compared to 24 weekers and you're almost there! Every day longer counts so don't dismiss any of them! :)

One of the things that I struggled with having had nothing but high risk pregnancies is mourning the loss of a normal pregnancy. It sounds like your docs are focused on your 'condition' and not you as a person. That part is hard. Like you I had lots of normal questions about my pregnancy - body changes, baby position, BH contractions, breastfeeding etc. I felt like there wasn't time to discuss that kind of stuff, plus I felt like I should be grateful for just being pregnant and that focusing on things not related to the high-risk stuff was silly. I had a midwife that I could ask those questions to, maybe there is a nurse or someone else at the hospital that you could talk to and discuss regular pregnancy stuff?? It's nice to have moments to celebrate and enjoy your pregnancy by obsessing about normal things instead of worrying all the time.

And lastly eff the brave face! You are going through an incredibly tough time right now. No one else in your family has to give up their life and freedom. No one else feels singlehandedly responsible for giving your baby the best outcome possible. No one else is going through the physical trauma of spending 24-7 lying in a hospital bed. No one else is as immersed in the fear and anxiety you are without distractions. They are the ones who should be putting on a brave face for you!!!!

I hope you are having a better day today. Hugs

Karen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016 at 12:13 PM »
Thank you so much mammas!!! I feel better. Im so happy to find this forum and get advise from women in the same situation as me. I appreciate everything...

StillExpecting

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016 at 09:11 PM »
Hi Karen,

Praying for your peace and for your little one. I do know (especially from my L&D nurse sister) that babies switch position soooo much! She's had ladies with babies face up and the mama is in labor and they suddenly switch face down. My first baby was not a bed-rest baby, but...he was very low! He was so low in fact, that the first time my NP checked my cervix (I think it was 3 weeks before the due date) she hollered out! She scared me! She said, "the head is right there!!" She couldn't feel my cervix (no one could, and I was done letting them try by the end of it! They finally could check for dilation after an epidural and I was 5 at that point :)). My babys head had descended...in the uterus, but my cervix was behind his head. His head was really down for some weeks before delivery. It was strange because I didn't feel that much pressure from it. The US of his face, though, made his features look very broad and flat. I think he was just having his face smashed! The post-partum nurses asked me if he was a vacuum baby because of how red his head was, etc.I had a fast labor for a first baby, and he wasn't suctioned...I think he just lived head down in my pelvis for quite a while. :) It makes us laugh now. This baby is definitely low...in fact, sometimes when I get up to go to the bathroom or kitchen, I push against my pubic bone for relief of the discomfort. All those ligaments loosen and that baby low....well, let's just say, it will be a relief when he's on the outside...all in good time, of course! I will be praying for you these next months. It's nerve wracking off and on. I'm almost 29 weeks, and it is a bit of a relief. It's hard to recognize how little control we have, even though we love these little people so much all ready. God knows our hearts! Best to you and yours. Keep us posted!