Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: No cerclage? Progesterone only treatment. 37 weeks singleton, 21 week twin loss.  (Read 2433 times)

klabro

• View Profile
So a short history of me.  I have a 4 year old daughter.  Pretty uneventful pregnancy, delivered at 37 weeks.  Last year I got pregnant with twins.  Everything was looking perfect, had a scan at 18 weeks cervix was nice and long and everything was fine.  I went back at 20 weeks to do a follow up scan and my cervix was completely effaced.  They do not offer a cerclage in twin gestation so I ended up delivering my twins at 21 weeks. 

Today I had my first high risk appointment.  Basically they said that my case is complicated by the fact that I carried my daughter until 37 weeks and the fact that the loss could have just been a "twin thing".  They will be doing progesterone shots starting at 16 weeks and will do weekly cervical monitoring (per my request, it was biweekly).  They said they will do a stitch at any sign of a shortening cervix.  I can not get a second opinion because this is the only high risk clinic around here and it is tied directly to our hospital.  I live in a pretty large town and the hospital is patterned with a huge, well regarded hospital and follow their protocol in this situation.

Any positive stories for this approach?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016 at 03:58 PM by klabro »

Ginnynoff

• View Profile
Hi! I had a preterm single loss at 23 weeks. So this time they started progestrone shots at 16 weeks. And biweekly cervical checks (it made me nervous to wait two weeks for my check ups tho) they would give me a stitch if I needed it. At 24 weeks we had a final scan and I was holding good. No changes at all. So they quit checking cervix for me cuz they said they couldn't stitch it after 24 weeks anyway. I am now 36 weeks in 3 days and I never thought I would make it this far!! So the progestrone shots alone is all it took for me this pregnancy. And I have had a very active contracting uterus since week 15 and my cervix still held. So hopefully the shot is all you will need too!

klabro

• View Profile
Thank you so much for your response.  I just feel like crying all the time right now.  I think that I will calm down once I accept this news, but since my loss last year I just really had set my sights on a  cerclage and never expected to get the news that they wouldn't want to do one.  Just hearing positive stories of people who have made it on progesterone alone helps.  It seems like every website I turn to for support all I see is cerclage, cerclage, cerclage.