Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 21 weeks 5 days with short cervix and funneling  (Read 4911 times)

preettyrebel

• View Profile
21 weeks 5 days with short cervix and funneling
« on: October 17, 2016 at 05:08 PM »
Good day,

I am new to this forum and at my anatomical appointment was advised that I have a short cervix measuring at 2.3-2.5
and funneling. Dr advised me to do bed rest. no heavy lifting no walking up the stairs. didn't really explain what bed rest meant so if any one please tell me. also has anyone had a short cervix and given birth at full term or ran into any other complications?

- new mother and new to this forum 

Farmerswife

• View Profile
Re: 21 weeks 5 days with short cervix and funneling
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016 at 08:15 PM »
Hello Preetyrebel!
I'm new on here too with my first pregnancy and on bedrest. My MW  told me that if anything makes me uncomfortable to stop and not do it again. No stairs, no lifting, reaching, bending as much as possible. I also have self imposed laying reclined or flat during the day with minimal walking and sitting. My baby's been head down and I can feel the pressure down low so I figure basic physics would show that pressure would make something thin even thinner. My first US was 2.29, my second was 2.4-2.6 (without contractions) so they said to keep doing what I'm doing, which is a whole lot of nothing honestly! I'm not sure if you've been having contractions or not, but I've had them constantly since 26 weeks (when they discovered my short cervix). I only shower once a week and I do it reclined in the tub, not standing. Until I reach 37 weeks I plan on taking it super easy. Listen to your body and use common sense. One of my problems is I'm decently small for 30 weeks and am capable of doing about anything I did pre pregnancy, so I give myself pep talks to keep me focused on the well being of my baby :) If you read back through the posts on this site there are a lot of success stories and it's super encouraging! Stay encouraged and, since we have plenty of time on our hands ;), try reading some of the other threads!

preettyrebel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016 at 09:29 AM »
Thanks for the in site  yeah i have no cramping but i am on progesterone tablets. And i take it as easy laying as much as possible sitting up one 5 hrs or less a day.

jmomma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016 at 03:22 PM »
Welcome! My cervix was found to be about that length at 18 weeks and I was started on 200mg of progesterone suppositories and told to "take it easy". Basically, no exercise, sex, heavy lifting, or much walking. Until about 23-24 weeks I was basically a couch potato, but still did basic things like showering and getting ready for the day, making easy meals. I just tried to sit down as much as possible. I'm 25+2 today, and after weekly ultrasounds showing my cervix remaining stable, I have started doing more as long as I feel ok. Nothing strenuous, but running basic errands, going to church, etc.

Hopefully you are getting weekly ultrasounds to check on things, but that's basically how I would take it right now, just week by week and as my doctors have always said, just keep an eye out for a change in discharge, cramping, bleeding, etc.

I will say I was terrified when they found out and making it to 24 weeks seemed like an eternity, but it's great they found it and put you on progesterone and told you to take it easy. I think you are doing everything right!

preettyrebel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016 at 08:55 AM »
That's great but what does bed rest really mean just laying in need all day or should be sitting be OK she said I'll be doing ultrasounds every 2weeks

Karen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016 at 02:30 PM »
@preettyrebel: they never specified to me what bedrest mean but this is what i did. My cervix length was at .56 at 22 weeks with funneling and bulging membrane.

-no sitting up unless i am using bedside commode
-i ate laying down
-no shower til 26 weeks once a week only the rest is sponge bath. 2 showers a week at 28 weeks
-lay down ALL THE TIME i was never up, no sitting, no standing.
-to prevents clots, my mom would give me leg massage daily and i move my toes and legs while laying down
-since i was in hospital, it was easier for my bed to be adjusted to tredelenberg position. I was in that position all day everyday.
-i did not see outside for 8 weeks! The only time i can peek ouside the window is when i have to get up to use my bedside commode.
-so i am laying down 95% of the time to prevent any pressure to my cervix.

So thats what i did and what worked for me. I feared of rupture membrane cause my docs kept mentioning it thats why i was strict with my bedrest.

I made it to 8 weeks of doing just that. At 30 weeks they checked my cervix and Docs said it had improved and was sent home. I am now home for 4 weeks with continued bedrest but not strict anymore. I am currently 33.6 weeks-i now eat sitting, i shower whenever with a shower chair, i cook while in wheelchair and my mom assisting me, i go shopping using a scooter, i eat out a few days a week. I am still laying down most of the time. I also have a wheelchair to help me around the house. I still dont walk around. By being up i mean i use a wheelchair.

preettyrebel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016 at 04:13 PM »
Have you had your baby already or are you still pregnant?

Karen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016 at 04:23 PM »
No baby yet. Still cookin. I will be 34 weeks tmrw. Started bedrest at 22 weeks.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016 at 06:11 PM »
A former KEC bedrest mom created a FANTASTIC checklist to take to your OB to talk about what is off limits: http://kinderroomcafe.tumblr.com/post/31906116499/bed-rest-prescription

preettyrebel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016 at 01:35 AM »
I am now told I have a bulging membrane and 2cm dialted anyone experience this?

preettyrebel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016 at 12:52 PM »
Delivered my little one at 23 weeks 3 days she's doing great never found a love like this

Karen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016 at 02:11 PM »
Preettyrebel congratulations on your new bundle of joy!!! I am glad she is doing great. That is awesome news! What day did you have her?

StillExpecting

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016 at 10:12 PM »
Prettyrebel! Thanks for sharing the update. May your little one continue to thrive and grow strong (and fat :)) until she is able to go home with her mama! Congratulations. Glad you are both safe!!!

preettyrebel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016 at 10:42 AM »
I had her on Friday anyone know any forms with parents with premature babies? Love to hear others stories just so hard not having her home

StillExpecting

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016 at 02:59 PM »
I don't have a lot of experience but here is one:

http://community.babycenter.com/groups/a3605/preemie_parenting

This is an australian site but I used to look at the "then" and "now" pictures to see how my baby would do if born really premature.

http://www.lilaussieprems.com.au/