Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 21w IVF twins cervix issues  (Read 2809 times)

Simone546

• View Profile
21w IVF twins cervix issues
« on: October 21, 2016 at 08:53 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm here looking for help and support  (and hoping I can help others in some small way as well).

Here's my story:

5th and final go of ivf resulted in this twin pregnancy. I have had 5 early losses and ectopics prior to this.
I'm overwhelmed to have made it to today (21 weeks)... but for the last week I've been having braxton hicks contractions (I think) and yesterday my cervix measured just 2.2cm down from 3.5cm a month earlier. I have had a lletz or loop 10 years ago.

My doctor has put me on 400mg progesterone pessaries a day. I have put myself on magnesium supplements and lots of water.  I'm lying on my butt as much as is possible.

I'm so anxious about losing my babies. Is there anything else I can do? I'm literally counting the days to 24 weeks.

Xxx

Karen

• View Profile
Re: 21w IVF twins cervix issues
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016 at 11:39 PM »
Welcome Simone! Im not carrying twins but i just wanted to let you know that there are a lot of success stories in here in the same situation as you that will definitely lift you up. Stay strong. Days are slow but weeks will fly by...24 weeks is just around the corner then you can set a new goal.

Simone546

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016 at 10:05 AM »
Thank you Karen.

It is so uplifting to read positive stories. 24 weeks still feels like an eternity away (I'm now 21w 3.5 days = oh yes those half days do count!!)... the 11th November is the day I'm waiting for.

I had a Partosure test (similar to FFN) two weeks ago on Thursday - which was negative. I'm tempted tto go to my hospital and ask for another one on Wednesday... this would take me to 23w5d and give me a lot of reassurance. Has anyone else had these tests?

Simone xxx

BlossominSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016 at 03:52 PM »
Hi Simone, thinking of you and those precious twins. Those early weeks before viability feel so slow and hard I know but keep resting and trust your doctors and stay strong. I had FFN tests in my last pregnancy and from what I understand they are very reliable at telling that you're not going in labour so can be reassuring. However, they are less helpful when they are positive (lots of things can affect that result). I had a positive with a shortened cervix at 25 weeks with my first little boy but still managed to keep him in until 37 weeks when I was induced, just by bedrest. So keep your dreams and take care, mama. You'll find lots of happy stories and reassurance on this site.

Simone546

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016 at 12:56 PM »
Thank you so much blossominspring.

They brought forward my retest of CL by a week... and hooray!!! No change!!! 21w6d  and we're at 2.2cm. Praying in holds.

Xxx

StillExpecting

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016 at 03:04 PM »
Simone546- Hang in there! Staying restful and peaceful is huge! You are doing the do! I learned regarding the FFN test that it is worthless if you are taking suppositories as that can "stir up" the protein it tests for, thus giving you a false positive! :) This is what happened to me before my doctor remembered and then, to my great reassurance, let me know it might not count. I agree with Karen...the day can feel long, but the weeks will tick along. I loved thinking each week of all the new things that had been gained by the baby (or babies!) that week. It was good to focus on all those positives. :) I also love that we picked a name early and talk about the baby by his name all the time. It took some fear away and gave me a sense of closeness to him. :) God bless you and give you peace and grace for this time, removing all fear. I sing to my baby, "He's got the whole world in His hand" and I remember for myself that means me and my baby, too! :)

Simone546

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016 at 06:49 AM »
Hi StillExpecting - thank you for your message. What you say about picking names and the things that have been gained each week is so true. I have an app on my phone that updates me every day and week as to what has developed and I really enjoy counting down the days. I feel sad that I'm missing out on the "good bits" of pregnancy... but all I want is for them to be born healthy and strong. What is your story? Are you still waiting for baby to come?

Yes, I'd heard that about the FFN test - and I'm so sorry that happend to you! My local hospital use a test called PartoSure which has a high positive predicitive value (ie.. a positive is like 90%+ chance of labour and it gives you the result within 5 minutes - a bit like a pregnancy test)... I think it's newer than FFN. Hopefully it means less anxiety for women. xxx

StillExpecting

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016 at 11:53 AM »
Hey Simone546!

Another fun baby thing you can still do from the sofa is....shopping. :) I just ordered an infant carrier. :) I have a 16 month old and I didn't use one with him until he was 3 months, but I'm guessing I'll be chasing him a lot while holding baby boy number two (due to arrive 12/24/16!). :) I think a lot of things will be different taking care of an infant with a toddler. This may be what gets my brain going again! :) I'll confess, too, we got a cute little backpack...with a leash! It's been a win-win so far. My boy gets put down more often for more "freedom" but I don't have to worry every moment that he's fleeing.  ;) My husband has been taking him to church and "walking" him in the lobby, which he seems to love. My husband got a lot of laughs, he said...I'm sure!!

I'm not even sure what to call my "condition". I don't have incompetent cervix. I carried my first boy until 38 weeks. This time, however, at my 21 week US they discovered my cervix was short and the report said "some funneling". A follow up two weeks later said it was "stable" so at that time, I started the progesterone as a safety measure, cut out my exercise regimen and my husband started doing things like grocery shopping, etc., but pretty much other wise it was business as usual. I woke up one day, however just feeling like the muscles in my pelvic floor were strained to the max. It hurt to stand, walk, etc. I had pressure on my pubic bone. At the hospital they remeasured and said I'd had further shortening, down to 2 cm, and that's when I got my first beta methasone shot as well as given a flexible-ish bedrest prescription. Thankfully, it's been mostly uneventful! I've had help with meals and some with my little guy from our church family and other friends which has made me so humble and thankful! My big boo-hoo was getting gestation diabetes! I'm still blaming bed rest and extra progesterone for that! :) Makes me feel better to do so. Silly, huh?  :o I'm at 32 weeks now, which is a relief. And....now that I'm feeling more "out of the woods" with this one, I find myself tempted to worry about future pregnancy....should I? Will this happen again? But, my good friend reminded me, "trust God one day at a time." So today, I'm enjoying baby moves (head down with feet flutters up in my belly!) and watching my toddler grow (before my eyes!), mostly sustained by cheerios!

Are you having a boy or girl? What kinds of names do you and your SO like? My husband and I have picked a girl name with both our boys, then took forever to find a boy name, but for this little guy, we finally settled on Isaiah. I was surprised how many Bible names were really popular for boys again! Names like Ezra, Isaiah, Asher. Girl name trends seem to be the old fashioned ones. I have friends who had babies a decade ago and were just starting to use some of the oldies like Hazel, Flora, Tula, Ruby. It seems more of those oldies are coming back, though! There are several Charlottes at our church and a Mabel and a couple Evelyns. Classics. :)

Hope today is a great day and you can enjoy some fresh "fall" air from a window or door. :)