Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: My bed rest anniversary  (Read 2294 times)

ceecee31

• View Profile
My bed rest anniversary
« on: November 18, 2016 at 02:27 PM »
Today is my official bed rest anniversary. Well, actually yesterday was.

On Tuesday, November 17th 2015 I went for a follow up ultrasound at 24w1d as my little guy had been a bit squirmy during my 20w ultrasound. I happily showed up, looking forward for another chance to see my baby.  I was feeling great....until the technician got very quiet and mentioned a concern with my cervix. She let me know she'd have to do a transvaginal ultrasound to take a closer look.

To be honest, out of all of the things new moms obsessive over, I never thought about my cervix. I didn't realize short cervix was a thing. After the technician checked things out she let me know that my measurement was 1.5-1.7 cms. I had no idea what it was supposed to be but was sent home and told to lay down and call my doctor first thing in the morning. The technician just looked so so sorry for me. I spent that entire night ugly sobbing.. it was awful.

The next day I was sent to L&D and was given my first steroid shot and was referred to the high risk unit, given my doctors note and officially had my first day on bed rest. I just remember praying that it'd be able to keep the baby in until I could get the second round of steroids the next day.

Bed rest is tough. It's lonely. It's overwhelming. But it's worth it. And I type this as I'm watching my awesome little guy cruise around my living room holding onto furniture.

My cervix measurements bounced up and down...but mostly down. But, I hung on!! And my little guy was born after 40 weeks. I also developed preeclampsia at 34 weeks too (so I was stuck on bed rest until the very end.. I was basically the Queen of the High Risk Unit).

Drink lots of water. Stay laying down as much as you can - I was super diligent about this. Keep yourself busy - read, catch up on Netflix, shop online, colour, do puzzles, keep your brain busy, ask friends over to visit. Let things go. Call friends, write long letters, send emails. Make yourself a cozy bed rest nook (mine was on our sofa bed where I lived for those 16 weeks).. Celebrate each day and each week - find some rituals so that you don't forget to enjoy your pregnancy (it's hard but you can still find happpiness in things like little kicks; I enjoyed the extra sneak peeks I got at my little boy).

You've got this. Now, I honestly look back and can't believe what I went through. If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Wishing you all the best. xo

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016 at 09:17 AM by ceecee31 »

Smittymelly

• View Profile
Re: My bed rest anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016 at 09:10 PM »
Hey Ceecee, I forgot how similar are stories were.
Today was my bedrest anniversary.
And I also didn't know a short cervix was a thing.
I had to go for a follow up ultrasound at 21 weeks because they saw a soft marker on the heart well in 1 week my cervix measurement went from 3.6 ( I believe) to 1.6 and I was told I might have a late term miscarriage because of the drastic drop in measurement.
All the advice Ceecee gave is amazing. We were all so supportive of each other and this forum was a huge motivator and help for me. I can't tell you how many times I cried and how scared I was but week by week it got easier.
Stay strong!
Read up on our stories and our Monday role calls.

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016 at 10:20 AM »
I had no idea that we ended up on bed rest and the same time...though I knew it was close, of course.

We both got lucky by needing follow up ultrasounds. Like you my measurements were great at 20 weeks and caused no alarm but by the time I had the next ultrasound things had gotten pretty scary.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016 at 09:36 AM »
Ceecee and Smitymelly! It is so wonderful to hear from you both! Thanks for sharing your story Ceecee. I know it will inspire other moms going through this.

Would either of you be up for sending me a photo of your little ones that I can share? You can post them on the KEC Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/KeepEmCookin/) or email them to me at info@keepemcookin.com. Let's show these moms that anything is possible!

Smittymelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016 at 02:15 PM »
I just sent you a photo of my son in hopes that it brings other moms some inspiration.

Ceecee how awesome would it be if you lived closer to me. We could have met up for coffee to celebrate our bedrest anniversary.

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016 at 09:31 AM »
Just sent a pic in too!! When I was on bed rest I was obsessed with reading the success stories!! Angela, thanks so much for this site and all that you do!!

Smittymelly, wouldn't that have been nice!? We've come so far - sometimes it just feels surreal when I think about how much we went through. Time went by so slowly then and now it's just speeding by.