Author Topic: Could orgasm cause PPROM? Sorry tmi  (Read 546 times)

Celinamariel

• View Profile
Could orgasm cause PPROM? Sorry tmi
« on: December 05, 2016 at 12:31 AM »
Howdy, while pregnant with my 2nd baby and after a strong orgasm that caused some cramping I, for the lack of a better term, leaked. I freaked out a bit and went to see my OB. They did a test (no u/s) that came back negative. They told me I probably pee'd myself (totally not the case) or may have had a tiny tear that would heal itsself. Ended up having a full term pregnancy.

Fast forward to baby #4. At 28weeks I had another strong orgasm that caused me to cramp/contract a bit (no pain, just tightening like with baby #2) Everything settled down and I went to sleep. Woke up at 5am in a puddle of bloody fluid  :'( I was hospitalized for a few days before baby was taken at 29 weeks ( Long NICU stay, but baby is 1 1/2 yrs old now and perfect)

Just wondering if there are others who have knowledge/experience with pprom after orgasm as my husband and I are tossing around the idea of having another baby.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Could orgasm cause PPROM? Sorry tmi
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016 at 11:40 AM »
Hi, Celina. I can understand why you'd be concerned. Every woman and each of her pregnancies is different, so there's no way to know for sure if orgasm could cause P-PROM for you in your next pregnancy.

For most women it wouldn't, but the chances may be higher if there's already another risk factor for P-PROM, like an infection, a short or weak cervix, or a prior biopsy or surgery of the cervix. Another risk factor would be a prior P-PROM, so you would be at a higher risk from the start. Definitely talk to your OB. Maybe they can keep a closer eye on your cervix length next time around, and test for infection occasionally or give you antibiotics. If you'd like to do more research online, the term for avoiding sex and/or orgasm during pregnancy is called "pelvic rest." Of course, your doctor is your best resource for information specific to you.

Good luck to you!  :)