Author Topic: carida80, birth announcement  (Read 289 times)

carida80

• View Profile
carida80, birth announcement
« on: December 08, 2016 at 12:21 AM »
Baby Julia is here. Born at 32wks 6 days. Sat Dec 32:01 pm 3lbs 9oz 17 in long.  She is breathing great.  My blood pressure due to preeclampsia was getting out of control so I was put on mag, as we all know, terrible stuff.  This c-section recovery is going a bit slow, but that's not surprising given everything that my body has been through.  I am home now and juggling home, and healing and NICU time. 
Happy Holidays everyone.  To those still cookin, keep it up. You AE awesome.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: carida80, Birth Announcement
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016 at 11:21 AM »
A very big welcome to baby Julia! It's wonderful to hear that she is breathing well. Hopefully she will be a healthy eater and put on some weight and be home with you soon. Have her doctors asked you to pump your milk and bring it in for her?

Kangaroo care (skin-to-skin contact) will be excellent therapy for you both. It will help her to regulate her temperature and heart rate and improve her weight gain, while you can just recline and relax. Your recovery is extremely important. The risks and side effects of preeclampsia remain up to 6 weeks after delivery, so this is definitely not a time to push yourself. And be sure to let your OB know about symptoms like dizziness, feeling faint, seeing spots, swollen feet/legs, nausea, bleeding gums, headache or pain under your ribs. These symptoms show that the preeclampsia is still affecting you and you may need medication.

Has the NICU staff talked to you about kangaroo care? You can learn more here: http://www.marchofdimes.org/complications/kangaroo-care.aspx

I'd love to hear how you and Julia continue to do. I hope you'll check in with us in a few days and let us know how you are both doing!  :-*

--Angela

carida80

• View Profile
Re: carida80, birth announcement
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016 at 08:09 PM »
Angela
Thanks for the congrats.  Yes to both NICU questions. We they are very big on k-care and pumping. I was so impressed that they sent us home with prescription for a very good breast pump.  We hardly had to pay a thing. So she is now getting almost 100% breast milk.  Between my husband and I we try to do 2 hours of k-care a day. But, as you said, I still need to be watchful of preeclampsia symptoms and get healed. It's a tough balance.  In a way recovering from a csection forces me to stay off my feet more than I otherwise would.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016 at 11:01 AM »
Carida,
It sounds like Julia is in a top-notch NICU. Yay!  :) I'm also so happy to hear you're keeping a watchful eye for any pre-e symptoms. You both are going to do GREAT! Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way!

BlossominSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016 at 06:24 AM »
Congratulations and welcome to lovely baby Julia! Take care and hope you all have a safe smooth journey through these first few weeks. X