Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: Shortening cervix 26+2 weeks  (Read 5084 times)

Alps

• View Profile
Shortening cervix 26+2 weeks
« on: December 23, 2016 at 06:46 PM »
Hello,
I am new here; based in London.
I am really worried and need some positive vibes and success stories.

I have lost my gorgeous boy in a previous pregnancy in 2014 - he was born prematurely at 24 weeks but as I dilated without symptoms and there was nothing that could be done. My little fighter fought for 44 hours and then became an angel.

After 18 months we gathered the courage to get pregnant again. Now I am now 26+ weeks and in my last appointment I was diagnosed with shortening cervix measuring 19mm. I have advised bed rest and put on progesterone pessaries. I am being strict with bedrest and getting up for loo breaks and quick shower.

Please can I have some success stories and encouragement? I cannot have a cerclage as it is beyond 24 weeks.

Looking forward for this forum to be my strength!

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016 at 06:47 PM by Alps »

ceecee31

• View Profile
Re: Shortening cervix 26+2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016 at 02:56 PM »
Hi! Sorry that this message will be quick, we have family over... But I wanted you to know that can do this!!
I delivered my baby boy after 40 weeks and at 24 weeks my cervix measured 15mm. It was also discovered at 24 weeks, so too late for a cerlage. I was so terrified that without the cerlage I wouldn't be able to keep him in but with strict bed rest I made it!!
If you scroll further back in this forum I have more deatailed posts about my experience and tips.. My LO is now 9 months old.

Bed rest is so hard but I really do believe it got us to the end. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Big hugs to you and my deepest sympathies for the loss of your little boy.

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016 at 01:38 AM »
Hi, welcome to the start and sorry for your loss.

Your symptoms sound very similar to mine. In Dec 2014 we lost our baby boy at 22 weeks. I dialated to 8cm with no symptoms and there was nothing they could do. Because I was under the 24 week viability stage they could not try and save him and he passed after a few minutes. They diagonosed me with having a short cervix and I opted to have a pre pregnancy cerclage May 2015. July 2015 we fell pregnant and by week 14 of my pregnancy I was advised to go on bedrest because my cervix measured 22mm, after 22 weeks of bedrest and progesterone pessaries, I delivered my baby girl March 2016. She is now 9 months old!

Bed rest is a hard journey, but just remember it won't last for ever, take every day you are still on bedrest as a positive, you will naturally find the dertermination to get through it. You will have low days followed by high, use the ladies on here as support! Developing a routine for me was key, it also made the day go quicker.

Keep us all updated! Hope you can try and do something nice for Christmas. I live in Birmingham, UK so only a few hours away!

Xx

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016 at 10:18 AM »
Dear Natig and Ceecee,
Many thanks for your reply and sharing your stories. Does make me feel quite confident and encouraged.

I haven't yet figured a routine but trying to keep occupied and busy. My husband is home so it is a great help. Each day I make it, I feel better as my little one is cooked a little more. I am positive prayers, hope and love of my dear ones along with the encouragement here in this forum will get me through.

I needed some advise on -
What all am I allowed to do on bed rest? Currently, I get up for one potty, brush break in the morning, loo breaks and then a quick shower break. I am on bed most day and move to our recliner couch in the evening few hours to watch tv. Is this strict enough? I sit up 45-50 degrees for food breaks.

Second one is on constipation. How did you guys manage that? I am not in a bad condition for that but just wanted to make sure I eat right so that there is less pressure to be applied next morning.

Sorry if it is too much information but your advise will help. Thank you so much for all the warmth and please pray for me, I have to make it this time. My next checkup u/s is on 4th when I will be almost 28 weeks.

Thanks you so much!!!

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016 at 04:32 PM »
Hi Alps!! Happy Christmas to you.

You'll soon see that there is no such thing as too much of anything around here, so don't be shy about asking any questions!! No such thing as TMI.

Routine is so helpful. Breaking down the day into little digestible pieces makes the day pass by a bit easier.

My doctor was a bit vague when it came to bed rest specifics, so I spent a lot of this site seeing what worked for other ladies. I stayed laying down almost all day - horizontal. I did get up to go to washroom (stay hydrated and don't let your bladder press by being too full) and I sat up a bit to eat. I had a shower one to two times a week for the first stretch and added another one in after thirty weeks (they were fast showers).

I made a little fort in our living room and I lived in the same space for 16 weeks. I slept there, ate there, lived there. My husband left me a jug of water each day and a packed lunch and snacks so I didn't have to get up on my own.

I spent my days reading books, colouring, writing emails. My parents called me everyday for a chat which I really looked forward too. I had friends come over for visits. I watched a lot of Netflix (like all f the seasons of many shows). Every Monday I looked forward to checks no in with my bed rest buddies (Natlg and I were on bed rest at the same time, actually)! I found sharing the experience with other women soooo helpful.

As for constipation, my friend bought me some fibre powder that I could add to my drinks. Lots of water!! I bicycled my legs a bit and did ankle circles. Lots of healthy food. Actually because someone had to bring me all of my meals, I was super aware of everything that I was putting in my mouth, so I ate very well. Lots of fresh foods - pears, peaches, etc.

Until your appointment on the 4th, be extra careful! 28 weeks is a big deal!! Developmentally, it's a huge milestone.

I hope this helps a bit!! Hugs to you.

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016 at 08:53 AM »
Just having a big scare... seen some brownish discharge come out and it all seems like how it started last time. Sitting at the hospital to get a scan done... fingers crossed! Please say in a few words of prayer for me!!!!

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016 at 10:02 AM »
I'm thinking of you and sending prayers. xo

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016 at 11:29 AM »
Been admitted...given steroids to be safe. Since it is bank holidays here, I will have high risk gynae examine me on Wednesday... I so hope all is ok and my baby can make it!!!

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016 at 12:11 PM »
I was given steroids at 24 weeks!! So it is just a preventative thing - and, for me, it was a huge relief. It really helps their lungs.

Being admitted will allow them to keep a close eye on everything. Rest as much as you can.
xo

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016 at 12:17 PM »
Thank ceecee... your words are encouraging and keep me hopeful.
Keeping faith and hoping to get as far as I can!!

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016 at 12:33 PM »
Keep us updated!! You are so close to 27 weeks too!!
Each day makes a big difference.

Do you have some distractions for the hospital - books, tv shows or movies.

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016 at 12:56 PM »
Yes I have Netflix and books! They should be good to keep occupied. It's the tension of what will happen next that is keeping me really anxious!! I really really hope all goes well.

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016 at 07:21 PM »
Oh, the tension and what ifs is the worst part. The bed rest itself was tough, but it wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have that overwhelming terror that's just always there. The first few weeks of bed rest are definitely the worst but you are already at 26 weeks which is really awesome.

I found that celebrating the little things really helped. Each new day, each new week is an accomplishment.

Distraction was so necessary.

Grace2016

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016 at 09:19 PM »
Hi Alps,

We have a similar story delivered at 24 weeks in April 2016 and my little fighter survive 8 days. My cervix was short and too late for a cerclage.  Now I am 25 weeks with a preventive cerclage at 13 weeks and at 17 weeks cervix short to 8mm with funneling on modified bedrest with CL increased to 1.3cm last week.  Rest easy and stay firm in your faith during your journey.

Grace

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016 at 04:00 AM »
Thanks Ceecee!!! Indeed, I am counting each day and relying on my faith. Will get to know more details when the Preterm expert will assess me. Hubby is around so it's not looking so difficult and we have the laptop and books and this amazing forum.

Grace, so sorry to hear your story and I know that word does not help. I can truly feel your pain. I wish you all the luck and we should make it this time. God cannot be so harsh! He will carry us!

I am glad to be here. All you ladies make me hopeful and better. Thank you!