Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: Shortening cervix 26+2 weeks  (Read 5446 times)

ceecee31

• View Profile
Re: Shortening cervix 26+2 weeks
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016 at 01:56 PM »
Hope it all goes well today!!

Natlg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016 at 04:35 PM »
Let us know what the preterm expert says, has the brownish discharge stoped? I'm glad they have admitted you though at least they can keep there eyes on you now and you will be closely monitored.

Sorry to hear about your loss Grace, brilliant news your length has increased. Are you on strict or modified bedrest? 

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016 at 06:33 AM »
Experts will scan today...it's been tough in the hospital lying here without any assessment. Hopefully something will be decided today. Brown discharge - touch wood - has stopped. I am concerned about what the scan will show. 27 weeks today! Ladies please pray for me, I need your kind words and prayers so much...more after the scan.

Being positive!!

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016 at 10:22 AM »
Hello ladies,
Cervical scan done. Looks like mine is a dynamic cervix with length varying from 20mm to 14mm. I have some mixed growth in my urine so they need to repeat the culture. They also did the growth scan and my sunny boy seems to be ok.

They have asked me to stay in tonight and do a fibronectin test tomorrow. I really hope that is negative.

Please keep me in your prayers ladies... I need them!
Praying for a negative ffn tomorrow.

Take care and send me positive vibes please.

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016 at 10:36 AM »
Congratulation on 27 weeks!!! Next goal 28 weeks!!
When I saw my doctor at 27 weeks the nurse told me at 27 weeks babies have developed the ability to suck and it meant that they are able to have milk. That's a pretty big development. I don't know why, but that made me feel better.

I know how hard the wait is. I had to wait a little over a week first my first high risk scan after finding out my cervix was 15mm. It was pure agony because you're just left with 'what ifs'. 

Every scan was such a strange mix of so many emotions. Happy to see the baby, scared to find out if there was something wrong, anxious about my measurements, etc. My numbers went up and down over the weeks too, so I never knew what to expect.

I'm happy that the discharge has stopped - that's great news! And you've gotten this far, so as awful as it is, take a moment to celebrate. You got this LO to 27 weeks!! On the day that I'd reach a new week, I'd look up the baby's development on one of those baby sites that tell you what they learn to do week-by-week. It was a little ritual that I had and I'd read it to my husband and we'd cheer. It really helped me appreciate how great it was to get through each day.

I'm thinking of you today and sending prayers!! Let us know how it goes. xo

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016 at 10:42 AM »
You posted while I was typing my last reply!! That's sounds like a great appointment.
My cervix went up and down - as did quite a few other ladies on this site...so dynamic isn't a bad diagnosis, I think!!

The important thing is that your little guy is doing well!!

I never had an fFN test, though not sure why. But, I've seen other ladies on this site who've had positive ones and stilll gone on to keep their babies cookin'.

So as scary as it all is, you are doing really well.  xo

Karen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016 at 09:36 AM »
Hi Alps! Hope all is well. Its good to know your discharge is gone. Dont be alarm that now you are using progesterone supp there will be discharge too....

When i was in hospital bedrest, i asked about ffn test but i was told that since i am using progesterone suppositories that it would alter the result to positive. So i was never given one.

You are almost to 28 weeks then after that your weeks will fly by! Stay strong.

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016 at 01:47 PM »
I did have a positive test for ffn and been  asked to stay in hospital. Very nervous and freaked out... don't know how to gather myself! Please send me some strength and positive vibes... very broken at the moment.
Has anyone had a positive ffn and gone a longer way?

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016 at 02:58 PM »
I never had an fFN test at all...so who knows what it would have said. My doctor just didn't think they were really that helpful.

I have definitely seen women post about having positive fFN tests and going the distance. But you are right where you need to be and will have great care. Try not to think too far ahead, just one day at a time. I know it's ridiculous to say such a thing because it's not easy, but just focus on the right now as much as you can. Right now your little guy is safe and sound and growing stronger each day. You've already got him to 27 weeks!!

Try to keep the pressure off your cervix...so keep horizontal if you can, like 98% of the day. Lots of water, keep hydrated. Meditation maybe - if you try that sort of thing.

It's just never easy but it does, slowly, get easier to cope...slightly. I'm sending you all of my strength.
There was a woman in here a little while ago who had a cervix measurement of like 0.00...as in there was pretty much nothing there; they couldn't even get a measurement. And she made it so far (can't recall the exact week she gave birth but it was seriously incredible how far she made it with pretty much no cervix left at all).

When I was first sent home, at 24 weeks, after my first steroid shot, I remember just desperately hoping to hold on 24 more hours so my little guy could get the second shot. I knew that it was his best chance to get both and I seriously wasn't sure we'd get there.

We came home and I was just empty and hopeless. My husband, trying to cheer me up, put on this super sweet song by a Canadian folk singer (I'm Canadian, btw) called Waiting for Baby (by Julie Doiron). And I lost it...ugly sobbing and begged him to turn it off. He felt awful. I seriously just couldn't handle it. I was truly and utterly broken too. And yet, we made it!!

And, if your little guy comes soon, then know that you've got him so far. He is so much much stronger than he would be a couple of weeks ago.

Sending strength and prayers from across the pond. xo

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016 at 06:55 PM by ceecee31 »

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016 at 03:31 PM »
Thanks a lot Ceecee... your words mean a lot. Since you have been through the journey, I know you know the pain and anxiety. Trying to stay calm and hoping my little man stays in.... God can't fail me twice!

I am trying meditations and prayers... wishing they work like never before.

Thank you for writing to me... keeps me encouraged and hopeful. Please keep me in your prayers. More when I gather myself a bit... my husband is broken too but trying to stay strong... he is my rock!

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016 at 03:32 PM »
Also, does anyone know if progesterone pessaries can cause a false positive ffn test?

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016 at 12:06 PM »
I don't know the answer to this myself but after some internet sleuthing it does seem that most women are told to stop taking their progesterone 24 hours before the test due to a potential false positive. This is just from reading other people's experiences but it seems that it's fairly common.

As I mentioned before, my Dr. didn't even want to do one. He didn't seem to think they were that useful - so take that for what it's worth. I was on progesterone tablets too.

How are you feeling today? Is the plan to keep you in hospital a while longer?

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016 at 12:17 PM »
Yes I think my research says that too.... also I had an internal examination about 24 hours before so not sure if that impacted it but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I have been asked to be kept in hospital atleast until 28 weeks and then they will take a call. I really hope I can keep cooking my little man longer...very worried but just knocking Gods doors and relying on Him to listen.
Hospital may be quiet over the new year weekend so let's see how things go. They have suspected infection in my urine so started me on antibiotics. My GTT has come back high but they think it might be due to steroids. I will be kept on sugar monitoring for a week and then they will decide if it still stays up - another complication!!! With bedrest, diabetes can get worse I hope it stays controlled.

Road seems difficult but I am telling myself and my little man - together we shall make it! Keep me in your prayers please and wish for me to atleast make it to 34 weeks! Thank you all for being there.

BlossominSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016 at 04:35 PM »
Hello lovely, so sorry for your loss and that you're having another frightening time this pregnancy. I just wanted to pop in to say that you're in my thoughts and to give you some words of hope. In my first pregnancy I had contractions, a shortened cervix (1.7cm) and a positive ffn test at 25 weeks. I was too late for a stitch and my doctors didn't suggest progesterone (NHS and this was a few years ago no) so I went on pretty strict home bedrest and he was born safely at 37 weeks. It was so tough and frightening and I know you must be feeling so anxious, especially after your loss, but try to keep your faith and hope. Wonderful things can happen and you'll find so many positive stories if you look back through this site. I've just had my second beautiful bedrest baby born on his due date after a short cervix and stitch at 17 weeks.

Ffn tests are very good at predicting that you won't go into labour but not all that reliable at predicting you will as so many things can affect the result including bleeding, any internal examinations etc. Also steroids will send your blood sugar very high (this happened to me) so don't fret too much yet about diabetes. Are you at a hospital with a good prem clinic and doctors who can chat it all through with you? As you're in the UK too then Bliss and Tommys are two great charities which have lots of advice, information and support.

And you're doing so well to be nearly 28 weeks as that is such an important milestone. Keep strong and let everyone look after you and your lovely little boy.

Take care and please ask anything you like xx

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016 at 04:49 PM by BlossominSpring »

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016 at 05:15 PM »
That is such an inspiring story... made my New Year's Eve! Thank you.

I am here at UCLH here in north London and they have good doctors with level 3 NICU. However, I do not want to think about that as I want my little man to go as far as he can.

ffn test can be dicey and I hope it did not mean anything for me. Sugars will be monitored for a week and they will then decide if I have gestational diabetes or not.

For now, I am just counting days to 28 weeks and then take them further. Please do say in a little prayer for me for new year... me and my little one need them badly.

Wish you all a great year, please send me positive vibes and keep me in your thoughts/prayers - I will be highly grateful for them.