Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Shortening cervix 26+2 weeks  (Read 24862 times)

Alps

• View Profile
Re: Shortening cervix 26+2 weeks
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017 at 02:12 PM »
Thanks a lot Ceecee. So much helpful and encouraging. I saw the doctors today for follow up - no scan though but started on sugar medication. I will have to monitor sugar for another 2 weeks and then they will see how it goes.

They have said my baby will need biweekly growth scans now and next is booked for 23rd Jan. I have been discharged from the preterm birth clinic now and the diabetes team will look after my case now as that is the current concern.

I am not sure but I guess they are not planning to do any more TVS now. I will have to check that why is it so.

Yes, my baby is stronger each day and it is a blessing. I am eyeing into the 30 weeks now.
Thank you for all your guidance and keep sending me words of encouragement.

I wanted to ask quickly about the appointments - did you have them weekly and how long did they last? Mine is a busy hospital and the round trip with travel takes about 4-5 hours. Not that I have a choice but does it not exert pressure on the cervix sitting down for so long with a bit of walking in the hospital? Any advice for hospital trips?

I will soon write more... counting my blessings and taking a deep breathe!
Keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2017 at 10:52 AM »
Hi Alps!! Another week done and 30 is just around the corner!!

I've seen that many women stop having transvaginals around 28 weeks, so it doesn't seem unusual. I had my last TV at 32 weeks, I believe and then at that point they were less concerned with my cervix measurement. I kept having weekly ultrasounds though because of my blood pressure. It was such a frustration at the time...just overcoming the short cervix and then being hit with a new issue was just so emotionally exhausting.

My appointments for the short cervix were every two weeks. Ultrasound to check on the baby, tv ultrasound to confirm the cervix measurement and then seeing my doctor. I was at the hospital maybe one and a half to two hours? For the BP though it was weekly apt because they wanted to check the baby's growth, blood flow fro, cord, overwell wellbeing. Then meeting with the doctor, then off to the lab for blood work and a urine test. They were long apts and I was there for like 3-4 hours. It also depended on how long the wait was in the lab. One day we were there easily 5 hours.

I must confess though, I live right downtown in a relatively big city, so I'm only a 10-15 minute drive from my hospital (and a 15-20 min drive from another hospital, plus our local children's hospital), so travelling was nothing at all. I would worry about the extra cervix pressure but figured if I was extra good the rest of the time, it'd balance out. I walked to my apts and around the hospital but I know some women used a wheelchair to avoid too much walking at the hospital.

Hope you are having a decent week!!

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2017 at 12:44 PM »
Thank you Ceecee. Next I have to go to the hospital is on 23rd so it's not too bad. I guess with two weeks of rest some walking should be ok. I am strict with myself at home and just get up for loo breaks.

However, there is another concern. I have recurring mixed growth in my urine and the doctors have asked me to be on prophylactic antibiotics for rest of the pregnancy. I just worry it will not impact my baby in any way to be on antibiotics for so long. I will get my husband to check this with the doctor when he goes to collect the prescription on Tuesday.

Each day counts I know and I try to keep myself up.
I hope all is ok with others - good positive thoughts for all and keep me in your prayers.

Thank you for being there!

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2017 at 07:19 AM »
Too much of prison break... I dream about bullets and saving myself!!! I guess I should mAke it one episode per day!

Well, another thing to worry - I have continuous mixed growth in my urine and I will be put on prophylactic antibiotics starting Tuesday. Has anyone if you faced that? I am worried it will not impact the baby in any way.

Send me positive vibes please... counting days to 30 weeks! Keeping positive and praying that my little bub keeps cooking more and more.

Happy Sunday!

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2017 at 08:40 AM »
Happy Sunday, Alps!! ????
I think bed rest dreams are generally nuts - must be all of the inactivity or something. lol

Hmm, I'm not sure about the mixed growth in your urine but I wouldn't worry too much about the antibiotics. I had awful heartburn during my pregnancy so I was I on meds for it and then later meds for my blood pressure and I did worry about everything I was putting into my body. But the doctors weigh risk vs benefits of everything very carefully. There's just so many things to worry about, I know. But try not to add one more thing to the list.

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2017 at 07:27 AM »
30 weeks today and I am so grateful! Looking onto 34 weeks now! GDM seems to be progressing, antibiotics started. Waiting for the growth scan on Monday. Please keep me in your thoughts - hope all goes well.

Wishing we all make it to bring these little wonders into the world happy and healthy!!!

Praying and keeping faith!
God bless!

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2017 at 01:22 PM »
Yay!! 30 weeks is amazing!!! You've come so far. You've got this!!!

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2017 at 06:56 AM »
31 weeks it is! Thank God!! Each day is a blessing. Next milestone awaited is 32 weeks.

I needed some advise on sleep positions. Please can you help?
Also do you remember the weight of your babies st this stage? I am told my baby is on the smaller side as we are both not great builds but growing consistently. My little bub weighed 1.4 kg in his last scan at 30+4 - is that less? Please advise.

Counting my blessings and keeping faith! Wishing well for all of us!! Do keep me in your prayers.

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2017 at 10:06 AM »
This is great news!! And 32 weeks is huge!!! Really huge. My nurses told me this means all the big development is done at 32 weeks ands it's all about packing on the weight and the lungs continuing to mature.

I can't recall how big my baby was at thus stage..maybe 3 pounds or so? He was only 6lbs 10 ounces when he was born full term, so he wasn't too big to begin with...he caught up right away though. I was a little smaller when I was born so I think the women in my family just have small babies.

As for sleep...ugh. I mostly tossed and turned. Side to side with a pillow between my knees..or sort of leaning to the side with my top leg curled up and over to sort of lean on (not sure if that makes sense). It's just mostly crappy sleeping the last bit.

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2017 at 02:44 PM »
Thanks a lot Ceecee. That is what I try doing, pillow between the legs and one under my bump but it is tossing and turning during the night.

Did you have any other pains at this stage at all? Anything to be careful about at this stage? I am keeping hydrated and eat small portions due to GDM.

Any advise will help. Thank you!
Keep me in your thoughts.

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2017 at 08:49 AM »
I was careful but definitely started to relax a bit. I began having another two showers at 32 weeks and sat up a bit longer while eating. At 34 weeks I was to be discharged from high risk as they weren't worried about my cervix any longer but at that time I developed gestational hypertension so they kept me on.

I did have some Symphysis pubis dysfunction pain (which is pretty harmless but uncomfortable).

You've come so far and are doing so well, not much longer now!! You've got this.

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2017 at 04:18 PM »
Thank you Ceecee, you have been such great friend. Thank you for being there. I had a general appointment today where my bp was raised. Can you tell me the symptoms you developed? Did they class it as pre eclampsia? I have been asked to monitor and my growth scan is following Monday.

My hospital days are a bit tiring and I have some pubic muscle pain which I hope will ease with rest. Did you do anything specific to ease the pain?

I hope I can make it as further as possible. I have been asked to start on insulin at night to control my fasting sugars. I so hope I keep my little bub safe. He needs to cook more.

Please say in a prayer for me! Am keeping my faith and listening to the beautiful hymn - In His Time!

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2017 at 12:04 PM »
Oh Alps, I was exactly where you were this time last year, so any support that I can offer is the least I can do. My son was due March 6th and born on March 9th - so I think you're actually quite close to where I was!!

As for the SPD pain, there's not much to be done - that I found at least, other than keeping off my feet (which I was doing anyway). It honestly felt so ridiculous because it was one thing after another with me (or so it seemed).

The only thing I didn't have was GD,  up my blood pressure just slowly crept up around 32 weeks. I ended up on medication, which helped, and had to take my BP at home twice a day and record it down. If it was above a certain number we had to call labour and delivery, but thankfully it never came to that.

I did have to have weekly ultrasounds and had blood and urine tests weekly as well (checking for protein in my urine). They also look for feeling dizzy, seeing white spots, sensitivity to light, headaches, etc. I thankfully, never had any issues with that but I was officially diagnosed with preeclampsia around 34-36 weeks but LO stayed in until 40 weeks as everything was coming back okay. They were really prepared to get him out at any time if things got worse. We had to bring our packed bags to every appointment after 34 weeks in case they decided to induce.

You are so close now!!!! Even in your LO came now, he'd be in a good place because of all you've done. Be proud!! And I really think you've got longer to go!

Alps

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2017 at 09:17 AM »
Hey Ceecee,
Indeed seems like one thing after another. But of course your story encourages me and has indeed got me this far. Thank you so much. This forum is indeed a blessing for people on journey like ours.

I am 32 weeks today and feel so relieved. Here onwards it will be a closer watch as the docs say. My bp is staying at an average of about 130/91 so doctor says it's ok for now. I have another scan scheduled for Monday and I hope my little bub is growing ok. He is on the smaller side but then we as parents aren't great builds either. But doctors want consistent growth and healthy placenta - fingers crossed it is so in the following scans.

Each day counts and it is each day at a time. Lord has carried us this far and I hope he does further.
Keep me in your thoughts and say in a little word for me and my little boy.

Amen!

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2017 at 01:14 PM »
You've done it, hit the BIG 32 week milestone!!! While you can't totally relax, I can say that at this point things aren't nearly as dire as before. I began to relax a bit more after 32 weeks.

My little one was small too - only 6lbs 10oz!!