Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: Been on bed rest for over 14 wks due to IC & dynamic cervix  (Read 669 times)

Missty

• View Profile
Been on bed rest for over 14 wks due to IC & dynamic cervix
« on: February 06, 2017 at 07:08 AM »
In Jan of 2016 I experienced Pprom with my first pregnancy at only 17 wks pregnant.  I did not show the classic signs of Incompetent Cervix, IC, and all of my testing came back normal so my Doctor was not sure why I experienced Pprom. However my Dr. believed that IC may have been the cause.

I'm currently 29 wks pregnant with boy/girl twins.  At 12wks I began weekly cervical length checks. My Dr. didn't want to do a preventive cerclage since I was pregnant with twins and there is not data supporting the benefits of a cerclage in twin pregnancies. He thought it was best to just keep a close eye on things and monitor any changes. As a precautionary measure at 15 wks I was placed on modified bed rest. At my 17wk check my Dr. discovered that I had IC and a dynamic cervix. That day I was placed on a stricter form of bed rest, started to take 200mg progesterone suppositories daily, ordered a pessary from the UK and three days later had a cerclage. When my Dr. did the cerclage I was dilated 1cm and he confirmed that i lost my previous pregnancy due to IC.

From this point on I started to see my Dr. every other week to monitor the length of my cervix and every week it was slightly shorter. At my 26 week check up my cervix had shortened down to the stitch and I was placed on strict bed rest so I was only allowed up to do things that other's couldn't do for me, such as use the restroom/shower. We knew my cervix would eventually shortened down to the stitch. The Dr. said my goal was to at least make it to 32 wks so we wanted to buy as much time as possible.  At this appointment my Dr. placed my pessary for added support. Last week, at my 28 wk appointment my Dr. said my stitch was still holding up. I did a NST and showed some mild signs of cervical irritation so my Dr. has me taking Procardia 10 mg every six hrs.

I'm extremely thankful to have made it this far and I pray that I can hold up until at least 34 wks. The past couple weeks have become increasingly hard being on bed rest. I know it's for the best but I find myself bursting into tears a couple times a week.

ceecee31

• View Profile
Re: Been on bed rest for over 14 wks due to IC & dynamic cervix
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017 at 02:32 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss last year. And pregnancy after loss is so difficult, but it seems you've gotten your rainbow babies very far! You've got through the toughest bit and being at 29 weeks is really great!! You should be so proud of how far you've come - bed rest is so tough.

While 34 weeks might be your goal, they are still in a pretty good place now. And I know 32 weeks is the big goal (or that was what I was told by my high risk medical team) and you are not too far from it.

You've got this!!!

Missty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017 at 12:04 AM »
Thank you for your reassuring message!

ceecee31

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017 at 12:04 PM »
When do you hit 30 weeks!? That's a big milestone too.