Author Topic: 19 weeks and "hanging by a thread"  (Read 937 times)

Monkeygirl

• View Profile
19 weeks and "hanging by a thread"
« on: April 03, 2017 at 04:20 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm thankful to have happened upon this site and am feeling much less isolated knowing others have gone through this.

I have a uterine anomaly-I had a complete septum which was resected last fall. Because of that and the fact that I have two cervixes, I am high risk for an IC. At 10 weeks, the maternal fetal Med docs told me they would not place a preventative cerclage until I had proven that I'd fail (history of preterm delivery) so instead they have been doing cervical length checks via vaginal ultrasound every 2 weeks. Everything was going okay until last Monday. I had deep funneling, one of my cervix was dialated to .5 cm with visible membranes, and a very "thinned" cervix. They have not told me the true length, however.  I was admitted immediately and had a cerclage placed. I've been on bedrest (they said modified, ive been doing strict) since then and started on 200 mg progesterone suppositories. I've been having off and on and cramping and muscle tightening which landed me back in L and D one night. I have not further dialated but today my doc could feel the pressure of the sack in the cervix.

So, here I lay at 19 weeks, 6 days feeling desperate for a glimmer of hope. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 10 weeks, am struggling to gain any weight, and feeling pretty depressed. We want nothing more for a healthy baby (it's a boy!). Much gratitude for any support!

SuzieQMom

• View Profile
Re: 19 weeks and "hanging by a thread"
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017 at 03:33 AM »
Hi Monkeygirl!

Stay positive. This site has also given me comfort because I know that others have been in our position and gone several weeks, even months, on bedrest.

I also am currently on bedrest at the hospital. I have incompetent cervix and am 24 weeks todo ay- a huge milestone for me. I have been here 2 weeks on strict bedrest. They measured me yesterday and said my cervix was 1mm at the thinnest point, not good. But, when I was admitted 2 weeks ago, it was open by 9mm and my sac of waters was bulging. So, for me it is a step in the right direction.

Just keep resting! It's the best we can do for our babies now. It is impossible to not have emotional ups and downs. But, I believe that bedrest is so important from reading these other stories of success. Hang in there! You will be in my thoughts.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017 at 03:36 AM by SuzieQMom »

Monkeygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017 at 05:32 PM »
Hi SuzieQ!

Thanks so much for your kind words! WOOT! 24 weeks is a huge milestone. I hope you're still feeling positive and continuing in the right direction! I'm sorry you're stuck in the hospital. It must be hard to be away from home. I go back and fourth wishes I was just admitted because I worry so much about every little feeling.

Are you getting progesterone shots or suppositories? I really want to switch to shots because I have a super stubborn yeast infection and feel like that's a huge infection concern with the suppositories. The doc refused at this point saying there is no evidence.

I'll be thinking of you as well! Keep on cooking and reach out to me anytime you need a distraction :) are you having a boy or a girl?

wylee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017 at 06:30 PM »
Hello Monkeygirl,

Stay as optimistic as you can, but it's normal to be worried. I had bulging membranes and was dilated 2 cm at 20 weeks. I had an emergency cerclage and been on strict bedrest since.  I will be 32 weeks tomorrow,  so I get to switch to modified bedrest tomorrow!! I've been on the Makena progesterone shots because I've had bad side effects with prometrium. Hang in there. I really do believe in the bedrest.

Monkeygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017 at 01:43 PM »
Hi Wylee,
32 weeks-congratulations!!  I hope you enjoy every minute of modified bed rest and feel proud for accomplishing those worrisome, tough strict bedrest weeks. I hope to follow in your footsteps! I've been wondering if I should be on antibiotics/why I'm not. I will talk to my doc about it. Enjoy your day!

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017 at 03:22 PM »
Hi monkey girl.

I also had an almost-complete septum resected, just wanted to give you some reassurance that my son is now three years old and healthy despite the fact that I was a frequent visitor in labor and delivery from 16 weeks! We made it to 28 weeks 6 days. The progesterone and bedrest really makes a difference (btw I also had the shots, if you don't like the suppositories then insist on the shots, don't forget you are in charge not the doctors). You must be past 20 weeks by now. If you can hang in there till 23 weeks you have hope. Depending on the hospital they won't automatically resuscitate at 23 weeks so you have to specifically request that all life saving measures be taken for a delivery once you have reached that milestone.

I'm not expecting right now, but I still visit the forum from time to time whenever I think it might be a good idea to have another baby and need reminded just how hard it is to have a high risk pregnancy and spend months on bedrest! Best of luck to you and your little boy. 

Monkeygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017 at 09:32 PM »
Hi EnglishRose,

Thanks for your sweet words! It's nice to hear someone else with a septum history made it to almost 29 weeks! That must have been a really rough time from 16 weeks on. So much for "enjoying pregnancy", right? Today I am 20 weeks and 2 days. The days are going by very slowly but starting to add up. Thanks for your heads-up about resuscitation efforts. That's good to know.

I hear ya. At this point, I'm not sure I could do this again, but perhaps being on the other side of things with a sweet boy will motivate you! Thanks again for your note!

SuzieQMom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017 at 11:15 AM »
Hi Monkeygirl,

They haven't given me progesterone. I asked for it, but the doctors told me that there was not enough evidence to support its use in twin pregnancies. But, I feel like so many moms have posted how beneficial it is. I plan to ask again. The doctors felt that suppositories were better than shots or oral progesterone. They said that suppositories "might" be beneficial, but could also be a port of entry for infection, which can be more risky if I'm dilated. They strongly advised against it.

Also, good advice from EnglishRose about resuscitation at 23 weeks. The doctors told me matter of factly at my hospital that they would not take any life preserving measures until after 24 weeks. I just accepted this as a rule. But, why? I think I was still in shock about my situation. As English Rose said, we are in charge. It's always good to question.

I'm still in the hospital keeping them cooking :D I'm expecting twin boys.
Best Wishes! Every day counts!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017 at 04:56 AM by SuzieQMom »

Monkeygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017 at 08:37 PM »
This is a tough update for me. Our sweet boy, Finley William, arrived on Saturday via emergency c-section, weighing 1 lb 9 oz, at just 24 w and 4 days. I had fetal parts bulging through 4-5 cm dialation. He was breech thus the emergent classic c-section. He's a fighter-definitely much stronger than his parents. Love to all...keep cookin! ????????

DanaS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017 at 09:08 PM »
How is he doing? I know you have to proceed hour by hour, but are things at least going as expected?

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017 at 10:38 AM »
Oh, my goodness. You must be so scared right now. I hope you will seek the support of other preemie moms right away. There's a fantastic group for parents of preemies here: http://www.inspire.com/groups/preemie  Everyone is SO helpful and compassionate. I really encourage you to join the group.

You'll also want to check out the list of resources at The Preemie Parent Alliance page here: http://www.preemieparentalliance.org/member-directory/ There may be a local group for you to connect with.

Please don't hesitate to ask for support during this time.  Share with your friends and family the ways they can help you (laundry, go to the grocery store, bring you clothes and food to the hospital, drive you around).

Also, a group called Graham’s Foundation sends care packages to the parents of micropremies. Request a package here: http://www.grahamsfoundation.org/care_package_request.html

We will all be praying for Finley. (((hugs)))

wylee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017 at 07:40 PM »
Hello Monkeygirl,

I just wanted you to know that I'm praying for your little boy and your family!! Hugs.

Wylee

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017 at 06:11 PM »
Hi MonkeyGirl,

First of all congratulations on the birth of baby Finley, you did sooo great to get him this far...he went from having no hope to having a real fighting chance! Wishing you much strength for the difficult months ahead of you in the NICU. 24 weeks is such a tough gestation to be born at, with so many obstacles to overcome, but we recently participated in our local March of Dimes walk for babies, and the keynote speaker at that event was a 17 year old who was born at 24 weeks with lots of complications. He was now a strong, and healthy high school athlete and honor student.

My firstborn daughter Sophie was a 24 weeker, she lost her battle when her lungs failed at the end of her first day. Don't be disheartened though, good outcomes do happen all the time with the medical technology available. Vincent's NICU neighbor was a 24 weeker, and it was amazing to watch her go from fighting for her life to heading home with mom and dad.

My advice to you is take thousands of photo's and videos, because if things do take a turn for the worse they will be so important to you. I wish we had more pictures of our daughter.

Reading softly to your baby will help you keep sane during long days. Actively participate in his care, it can be daunting changing a diaper on a baby that small, but you can do it. Kangaroo care is amazing for mom and baby when he's ready to be held do it as much as you can. Pump in the NICU, I wasted precious time with my daughter trying to go back and forth for pumping sessions. Get the book "Preemies - second edition" the doctors will only tell you as much as they think you need to know. I felt like reading this every night help me be better prepared to ask relevant questions to Vincent's doctors and be an effective decision maker and participant in his care. Be a pain-in-the-ass. I definitely had a reputation with the doctors and nurses as being a demanding mama bear, but it can make a difference (I complained so much about his eye exams they ended up buying new less-invasive equipment for the ROP exams).

Sending you lots of hugs during this difficult time. Feel free to message me if you need to talk or have questions, I've collected a lot of hours in the NICU.