Author Topic: Defining 'Rest'  (Read 547 times)

Lulabelle

• View Profile
Defining 'Rest'
« on: April 06, 2017 at 06:01 PM »
Hello  ;D

I lost my little boy last may at 20+5 to IC, heartbroken doesn't cover it as I'm sure many of you know.

Jasper was my miracle BFP after 6 IVF cycles.

Amazingly after 2 more I am pregnant again, eerily everything is happening the same time this year as it did last year.

I'm 14 weeks and at 12 weeks my cervix was at least 3cm and I had a precautionary high stitch fitted with an occlusion stitch by Nick Wales.

A couple of nights ago I had a red bleed and my consultant the following day asked me to stop working and 'rest'. He did say I didn't have to go to bed.

I'm confused about what to do.. I know this probably sounds ridiculous. Can I still visit my sister who lives approximately 10 doors away? My mum who lives 0.4 miles away.

Can I still potter around the house?

Its so frustrating as I'm not having regular cervix checks so how am i meant to know limitations without an idea of what my cervix is doing?

Any one got any advice for a crazy lady desperate to get it right?

wylee

• View Profile
Re: Defining 'Rest'
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017 at 11:54 PM »
Hello Lulabelle,

I've had to ask pinpointed questions to my doctor about what rest, or in my case what the definition of strict and modified bedrest means. I've heard mixed reviews about bedrest, but my doctor strongly believes in it as do I.  I'm 32 +3 weeks and have been on strict bedrest up until Thurs of this week since my emergency cerclage was placed at 20 weeks. My baby is also a result of IVF.

Due to the fact that you had a bleed more than 2 weeks after your stitches, I wouldn't feel comfortable if I was you unless I was on bedrest until at least 26 weeks.  Obviously,  I don't know you're entire situation and I'm not a health-care professional, but I wouldn't risk it. 

My strict bedrest was defined as laying down with my feet elevated at all times except for bathroom breaks and a quick shower every 2-3 days.  I would go no where except to my weekly doctor appointments that are 1 hour from my house.  My seat had to be reclined back for the drive, and I had to be in a wheelchair to get to and from the car and the doctor office. No walking was permitted, so I wore compression socks to prevent blood clots and I turned often. I rotated between a bed and 2 recliners, and my family and friends come to visit and help me out.

My modified bedrest is very similar except they're allowing me to walk a little around the house,  and I can now eat sitting up without having my legs elevated. I can sit upright, and I don't have to use a wheelchair anymore.   No lifting is allowed.

Anyhow,  I know every person and doctor recommendations are going to vary. 

I'm sorry to hear about your previous loss , and I pray everything goes well!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017 at 11:57 PM by wylee »

Zoe2017

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017 at 06:09 AM »
Hi....

Am also on bedrest with an ivf pregnancy after loosing twins at 16 weeks 2 years ago...

I agree with the last person...  go for total bed rest, except for bathroom and short kitchen breaks. Its seems like a lot... but time will pass sooner than you think

I had cerclage placed at 12 weeks with 1.2cm of cervix...   by 18 weeks it had grown to 3.7cm...but is now shortening again. I am 24 weeks...  praying to make it to 28+

My Dr said some small walking at home ok to prevent blood clots etc.. 

Goood luck. Xxx

Also....  who knows if it works but positive thinking, and imagining your cervix strengthening etc..  can't do any harm at least
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017 at 06:12 AM by Zoe2017 »

Zoe2017

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017 at 06:16 AM »
Also check with Dr about using pillows to put body at a slight angle (google trendleberg position), and the polar bear position...

They seem to totally remove pressure from cervix.... allowing it to strengthen/get some length bback..

But check with doc first i guess

The fact that they caught yours while you still had 3cm sounds pretty good...  some people make it on bed rest with basically no cervix left

Zxx

Lulabelle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017 at 08:13 AM »
Thanks ladies.

I had a scan last week and my cervix was 3cm still which is good as thats what I started with initially. I think due to lletz biopsies mine is just literally 3cm.

I'm getting more and more anxious as time goes on. I'm 18 weeks now. I lost my son at 20+5 last year on the 25th of May 2016 and as that date approaches and I'm the same gestations I feel extremely overwhelmed.

How are you all coping?