Author Topic: Cramping caused by Progesterone suppositories anyone?  (Read 309 times)

Nickiedd

• View Profile
Cramping caused by Progesterone suppositories anyone?
« on: April 08, 2017 at 07:58 PM »
I'm supposed to start using progesterone suppositories to help keep my irritable uterus "calm" .  I've been good for the last couple weeks and just started with one dose last night, now today I'm having mild period like cramps.  I did some reading and found out that one of the side effects listed is cramping, I find this soooo weird as #1 I asked my OB very clearly if there are any side effects or concerns using this medication, she said none, and #2 I'm supposed to use this because it helps to "calm" the uterus but cramps are a side effect, what?...

Now I'm scared to continue and totally confused, anyone else have cramping using progesterone??
Dear Son #1
9 Angel babies
Dear Son #2 arrived early at 29 weeks doing great Dec 2012
Sneaker Suprise #3 (Girl!) Due Aug 22nd 2017
Cerclage placed at 13.5 Weeks

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Cramping caused by Progesterone suppositories anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017 at 09:51 AM »
Nicki,
I am so sorry I missed your message somehow. How are you feeling? Did the cramps calm down?

Nickiedd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017 at 01:26 PM »
I didn't take the dose the next evening and havent since. I had cramping all the next day.  My OB agreed that I have a very sensitive cervix and even the act of depositing the progesterone irritated it.  She feels that it wont help and was just an added measure anyways and given how sensitive my uterus/cervix seems to be its not worth irritating her lol!  To be honest, after I read some of the side effects on line, and many women claiming extreme cramping with it, I didnt want to take the risk any longer.  Other than some minor sporadic cramps here and there, the cramping like that day hasnt returned.  I am now at 23.5 weeks, this is the time I went on full bed rest with my last, fingers crossed!
Dear Son #1
9 Angel babies

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017 at 03:32 PM »
SO happy to hear that you are still cookin'! How often are your OB appointments? Did she check your cervix length when you had the growth scan ultrasound (probably around 18/19 weeks)? Any other ultrasounds planned?

Nickiedd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017 at 01:30 PM »
Yes, they Measured it at the Anatomy ultrasound, 19 weeks, it was holding at 3.3.  The Doctor was able to place the Cerclage at 3.  They were able to see and measure it on the ultrasound.  That is very high so may explain why I had so much cramping after the surgery.  I don't believe it's common to have one placed so high. 

I have another scan next week, 24.5 weeks, to see how everything is holding up.  Hoping it's still high. 
Dear Son #1
9 Angel babies

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017 at 06:09 PM »
Wow! Your cervix length is holding up really well! Let us know how this week's appointment goes.

Nickiedd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017 at 07:31 PM »
Well had my ultrasound at 24.5 weeks now and length has shortened from 3.3 to 2.5 boo :(

I'm now on bed rest which I was hoping to avoid or put off for sometime yet.  I had been resting lots and doing reduced activity but I guess not enough and now full bed rest.  I was praying to avoid another Preemie, previous at 29 weeks, and was shooting for 33 weeks but now I'd be happy just to make it to 29 again.  Feeling so discouraged and disappointed today  :(
Dear Son #1
9 Angel babies