Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: No cerclage bed rest and progesterone  (Read 925 times)

Kjr

• View Profile
No cerclage bed rest and progesterone
« on: April 14, 2017 at 02:51 AM »
Looking for success stories of anyone whose made it a number of weeks in a case where cervix shortened, waters bulging and dilation but no cerclage as considered risky. Progesterone started this week. Diagnosed at 20 weeks.

andi-pants

• View Profile
Re: No cerclage bed rest and progesterone
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017 at 10:22 AM »
With my last pregnancy I went into PTL at 29 weeks and spent weeks 29 through 39+4 (when I finally delivered a healthy fullterm baby boy after a VERY quick precipitous delivery) at 4cm dilated, 80-90% effaced, with bulging membranes. I was on strict bedrest from week 29 to week 37, was only allowed up to use the bathroom and to shower every third day, other than that I had to lay flat continuously. I was in and out of hospital during that time as well, never had a cerclage placed, but did luck out and keep my son cookin' until he was good and ready to be born <3

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you and hoping for an uneventful full term delivery for you as well <3

SuzieQMom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017 at 04:01 AM »
Hi Kjr,

I'm on hospital bedrest right now. I only get up to use the toilet and for a quick shower. I also had bulging membrane and dilated 9mm at 21+6. Now I am 25+5. I was also told that cerclage was too risky because of the bulging membrane and risk of infection. I am pregnant with twins and they had told me that cerclage might have been considered with a singleton pregnancy. I did have a pessary put in at 22 weeks. Since then, they have have only checked me twice by ultrasound. The doctors don't want to introduce infection.

This forum has lots of success stories and my neonatologist told me that women can hold out a long time with bulging membranes. Try to lay flat as much as possible. Have you seen Wylee's story? Hang in there! Each day counts!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017 at 02:27 AM by SuzieQMom »

Zoe2017

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017 at 06:02 AM »
Someone mentions lying as flat as possible....  but may also be good to try the trendleberg position (Google)....  basically having body at a slight angle witb head low and feet up. That is supposed to tip uterus towards lungs and away from cervix...

Check with Dr maybe...  but there are cases online of people with incompetent cervix lying like this for weeks

Jasnath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017 at 02:59 PM »
I couldn't help but share my experience.
At exactly 26 weeks, after the days work i started feeling mild cramps like menstrual cramps.  I went to bed ignoring it looking to see if it continues the next day.
I resumed work as usual the next day initially i was not feeling any pain. Then as i sat down it came back not painful but quite noticeable. So i decided to observe it again till lunch time.
Around noon, i called my dr office expecting her to tell me oh it's nothing or just come in for a quick check and discharge me after.

But to my surprise, my dr refered me to labor and delivery.

On getting to L&D , my blood pressure,weight and all that was taken. An NST was done, nothing was really observed from all the checks.
So the residents decided to keep me under observation for a while.

After 3hrs they came by and i asked if they were going to do an ultrasound just to be sure baby was ok.  They didn't seem concerned but one of d resident decided to do an internal/cervix check.

Lo and behold, her expression changed and she quickly withdrew the device she inserted and she said you're dilated 2cm with a bulging membrane and i can even see your baby's head.

To say i was scared is to say the least. I was told right there that I'll be on hospital bedrest and most likely have the baby any moment.

As a FTM, I was terrified it took me a long time to accept the reality. I was given steroid shots right away and antibiotics.

I had a labor scare 2 weeks after and the drs thought this is it and I got a set of magnesium shot. But thankfully the contractions went away shortly.

Long story short, i was on hospital modified bed rest for 2 months (i became the longest tenant on bedrest, nicknamed the bedrest queen) cos lots of people came and left shortly.
We made it to 39 weeks plus 5 and baby won't still come out.
Ironically, i was eventually induced.
You can do it mama.

If you have any questions I'm here to answer.

wylee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017 at 04:02 PM »
Hello Kjr,

I'm not in your situation because I did have an emergency cerclage, but I've read successful stories on here of those who have made it without one and adhering to strict bedrest!

Hang in there.