Author Topic: Short cervix, emergency cerclage, NO BED REST?!  (Read 92 times)

Kkritenbrink

• View Profile
Short cervix, emergency cerclage, NO BED REST?!
« on: May 01, 2017 at 10:36 PM »
Ok so here's my backstory: 20 week anatomy (do/di twin boys) scan showed shortened cervix and funneling (1.7cm). Emergency cerclage was placed on a friday. By Monday at my post op appt my cervical length went back up to 3.2cm. I am currently awaiting my next CL appt tomorrow morning and SO ANDIOUS AND AFRAID! I have been on no bed rest and have two children ages 1&2, so I chase them around frequently. I take it easy as often as possible and my hubby helps out with everything around the house. I am basically just looking for success stories of women who carried full term or close to WITHOUT BED REST! My MFM believes bed rest isn't proven by research and he says that is the whole point of the cerclage. Should I expect my CL to lower or change every appt? I'm afraid to get my hopes up and so deathly afraid of losing these baby boys!

sacmom

• View Profile
Re: Short cervix, emergency cerclage, NO BED REST?!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017 at 07:53 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. My second pregnancy when I had a preventive cerclage placed I was only placed on modified activities rather than bed rest. It actually surprised and scared me after being on bed rest for months during my previous pregnancy. My cervical length held fairly steady throughout, only a little fluctuation. I had a 2-year-old at the time and though I had some help, there were times when I was afraid I was pushing it. I didn't lift anything heavy, I walked when I had to, I cooked dinner sitting down. Definitely not bed rest, but I wasn't taking any chances. My second little girl was born at 39 weeks. So, it is possible.

With that said, I was placed on strict bed rest after my first emergent cerclage after some severe cervix funneling. Same doctor for both. Not sure if that is helpful...