Author Topic: 20 Weeks, Hourglass Membranes Exposed  (Read 276 times)

Candice1313

• View Profile
20 Weeks, Hourglass Membranes Exposed
« on: May 06, 2017 at 06:11 PM »
Hello

We went in for a routine ultrasound at 19.5 weeks.  Our baby is healthy however the doctor was called in because we have membranes exposed in the vagina and are 1.5 cm dialated.  We spent three days in the hospital on strict bed rest.  They ran a number of tests. There is no noticeable infection however they cannot put a cerclage in because of the bulging membranes.  We are waiting this out at home (still on bed rest) until we hopefully make it to 23 weeks.  I am wondering if anyone has had this happen and how long they made it?  The doctors say I will most likely get an infection or my water will break due to the membrane exposure.

We are now at the 20 week mark and are very worried.  We appreciate the information you have.  We want to make sure we do everything we can to save this baby.

-Candice

SuzieQMom

• View Profile
Re: 20 Weeks, Hourglass Membranes Exposed
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017 at 07:49 AM »
Hi Candace,

I also had bulging membranes at 9mm dilated at 21+6. I am pregnant with twins and am on hospital bedrest. Like yourself, they did not want to put in a cerclage, but they did put in a pessary. You might try asking about that. I'm still constantly worried about my membranes rupturing, but at least with the pessary I felt like we tried something. Additionally, it helps support the weight of my uterus, so I feel less heaviness down there. I don't know if you have contractions, but the midwives in the hospital gave me bryophyllum tablets and told me to take them 5 times a day. Since this was before the 24 week viability, they could not give me any tocolytics. Bryophyllum is a natural drug and they gave it to me in tablets. I just chew two tablets every few hours. If contractions start, they told me to chew 2 tablets every 15 minutes for 1 hour.

I also read online about the polar bear and Trendelenburg positions. I try to put myself in these positions a few times a day. If anything, it takes some pressure off of my back from being in bed all day.

Each day counts! Stay strong!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017 at 07:54 AM by SuzieQMom »

Candice1313

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017 at 11:03 AM »
Hello

We wound up finding a high risk MFM doctor who was willing to attempt the cerclage.  My water bag (the membranes) were 5cm and were exposed through the cervix into the vagina. I was dialated beyond 2 cm.  The doctor tilted me almost upside down, filled my bladder and used a balloon catheter to push the membranes back in and placed the cerclage.  The procedure itself was high risk but at 20 weeks we were willing to take the risk.  It was just difficult to find a doctor willing to attempt the emergency cerclage because of how exposed my membranes were.  We really had to call around and were seen by two other doctors who said they could not do the emergency cerclage.

The procedure was successful but we have to go back in two weeks to see how well it worked.  After the emergency cerclage, we did stay in the hopistal overnight and the next day I had 2cm of cervix with the cerclage in place which is a good sign.  So far, no sign of infection but we did have an amniocentesis done in advance to check for infection.

I am now back at home on bed rest. I can get up to use the restroom and shower when needed.  I stay with my legs elevated,  I did try the polar bear position and I now do that a few times a day.  It helps. Thank you.

I haven't felt any contractions yet.  I actually didn't even know any of this was going on.  We found out at our routine ultrasound.

We are now at 20 weeks + 5 days.

Thanks for the info. Stay Strong!

DanaS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017 at 06:07 PM »
Glad you found someone willing to help take care of your family in such a special way. Keep us updated with how the cerclage holds! I'm rooting for you!

;D

wylee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017 at 09:00 PM »
Hello Candice1313 - I'm so glad to hear you found a MFM willing to do the cerclage.

My story is nearly an echo of yours. I had my amniotic sac slip through my cervix at 20 weeks. It looked like an hourglass on the ultrasound and i was 2 cm dilated with bulging membranes. My OB said he couldn't do the emergency cerclage surgery,  but knew someone who could, so I was airlifted to that hospital. My OB and the MFM he sent me to saved my baby!! He put me under general anesthesia and pushed the membranes back up into my uterus then gave me a Wurm cerclage also called a Hefner cerclage cerclage that is used for women who have very little cervix left.  I haven't heard any other stories about this type of cerclage, but I'm so thankful to have my doctors.

I've been on bedrest for 121 days at home, which 86 days have been strict. I was only in the hospital 2 nights after my emergency cerclage.  I was kept on daily antibiotics and a weekly progesterone shot until 36 weeks. I'm now 37 weeks +2. I just wanted to share my story because I'm so grateful. I know everyone's situation and body is different, but I'm praying you make it like I have.

Take Care,

Wylee

Candice1313

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017 at 11:28 PM »
Thanks Wylee.. Your story like others on this site gives me hope.  We are now on week 21 and I am trying to get used to bed rest. I have a follow up appointment next week to check on the cerclage. I get overwhelmed if I look too far ahead so I just focus on the next small milestone. Any advice on bed rest is appreciated. I can only get up to use the restroom and shower when needed.  So far I've been filling my days with Netflix, reading and watching my 14 month old son run around when my husband gets home from work.

Congrats on 37 weeks!

wylee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017 at 12:54 PM »
Hello Candice1313,

How are you doing? I hope you have made it to viability week. Yes, the bedrest is tough,  but keep doing what you're doing. I think it's a little self preservation to not think past the day to day or week to week.  That is normal. My doctor and my husband and I set weekly goals, and I tried to stay as positive as possible. You can do it too!

Candice1313

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017 at 04:28 PM »
Hi! Yes, we made it to viability. We are on week 25 now. I don't get to see my primary doctor often because they try to minimize my trips into the office. I rotate between my primary care doctor and my high risk doctor and see one of them every two weeks.  I am not on the weekly progesterone shot because I did not have preterm labor.  Apparently IC is not preterm labor but can lead to it esp. if my exposed membranes did rupture.

Some days/weeks seem better than others. I am grateful to be able to stay at home for this. We are excited and nervous that we have made it to viability. I try to stay busy throughout the day so I don't think about it lol.  Bed rest is challenging! Then again I also remember thinking some of my 12hr work days, taking care of the house and my 15 month old was near impossible while pregnant too.  Maybe this whole experience was my body's way of making me slow down :)