Author Topic: 23week hospital bedrest, cervix dilated 1.5 cm, length 1.0 cm with funneling  (Read 233 times)

Sally41

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

Today is the 4th day of my hospital bed rest. Baby girl is 23 weeks and 5 day old. I have not gotten any complications during this pregnancy until now. Everything was fine during my anatomy scan 3 weeks ago: cervix was closed and over 4cm, baby was doing fine, placenta was still far away from a fibroid that might cause problem.
I felt some mild contractions and went to the hospital thinking I was probably overreacting on false labor signs. It turned out that my cervix has shortened to 1cm with funnelling and dilated to 1.5 cm. My placenta also moved to touch the largest fibroid on the top of my uterus. This might create blood circulation problem for the baby, and hemorrhage after birth.

I am happy with my progress so far. I got the 2 steroids shots for the baby. Although I am tested positive for the fibronectin test, all the other tests for infections turned out all negative. My contractions are gone. Baby is fine, above median weight, super active with heartbeat slightly higher than the normal range. I am lucky to get treated in one of the best hospitals for premature birth in Canada. The paediatricians told me my baby has 50% chance surviving and going home had I delivered now.  If I can stay pregnant until 27 weeks, my baby will have over 90% chance of surviving with significant reduction in potential physical impairment. If I get to 32 weeks, I might be allowed to return to home bed rest.

I was diagnosed with endometriosis, an ovarian cyst and multiple uterine fibroids before my marriage. I went through 3 operations before trying to conceive.
This is my 4th pregancy. I had a missed abortion the 1st time, a miscarriage the 2nd time. Then I gave birth to a wonderful boy the 3rd time. He is 21 month old now.

Given my medical history, my husband and I feel extremely lucky to have our healthy son. We also hope the best for our baby girl. Wish me good luck.

DanaS

• View Profile
Good morning Sally 41!

I think your positive attitude is just inspiring. When I had my emergency cerclage placed, I was not nearly as composed as you are.

Sounds like you're doing everything you can for your dear daughter and that you're getting great medical care. You'll be in my thoughts this week - I hope everything goes as you hope it will!

;D

Sally41

• View Profile
I can't get a cerclage with the funneling of the membrane, Dr thinks it is too risky. How many of you have made to 32+ weeks without cerclage?

My mom also struggled with fertility issues. She was on strict bedrest for 30 weeks while pregnant with me. She also got her uterus removed due to unstoppable postpartum hemorrhage. My grandma never had any problem with her 4 kids. I am starting to worry about my little girl, will she struggle with the same problems again when she grows up? Although these experiences have made me a stronger woman in a strong marriage, I don't want any other woman and her significant other to go through it.

Sally41

• View Profile
Hi DanaS,

Thank you for your support.

There is hope as long as the baby is ok. I still remember the helplessness and guilt I felt during my 1st pregnancy, when the Dr told me there was no heartbeat on the ultrasound and nothing could be done.

I also wish you the best where you are.