Author Topic: 21 weeks and pprom worried but hopeful  (Read 219 times)

Laylasmommies

• Fighting for Layla!
    • View Profile
21 weeks and pprom worried but hopeful
« on: May 25, 2017 at 10:46 PM »
My wife is 22 6/7 with our baby girl. On Monday she called me at work upset and told me she thought her water broke. We rushed to the er and they confirmed she had a tear. All of the triage doctors told us to terminate and that "sh--ty things" happen. We couldn't do that to our baby girl and told them not to bring it up again. She was admitted and for two days got antibiotics. She has little to no leakage daily if it is just a small drop on her pad when she pees. The baby is kicking and has a strong heart beat. On the ultrasound the kidneys were perfect and full bladder heart strong and brain good. Layla also weighed 14 oz and at this point I read should have been around 12 oz. so our baby girl is a fighter! She is on bedrest at home until next Saturday when she can be admitted. Nicu people were amazing and made us feel so much better. We are going to keep her cooking until she is ready to meet us.  The ob wants us back for an ultrasound Tuesday but we think it's too risky. I don't want to have her in the car bumping around then being pressed on and sitting up for that long. We are going to skip it and just let them check when we are admitted next Saturday. What do you guys think? Layla kicks all day and we are in good spirits. Poisitive vibes our way we are staying hopeful for our little love.

SuzieQMom

• View Profile
Re: 21 weeks and pprom worried but hopeful
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017 at 05:53 AM »
Hi Laylasmommies,

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened. I find that doctors can be quite reluctant to give any hope. At least that was the case for me as well. But, like you, the neonatologist delivered the worst possible scenarios, yet left me feeling better because I knew what I might face and he also mentioned some success stories. I appreciated that. I have incompetent cervix, not PROM, but I did think that I my water had broken while I was in the hospital. They put me on antibiotics immediately and told me to relax. Then they measured my fluid levels by ultrasound, which were normal. One of the midwives the following morning was very kind and told me that I should not despair. She then told me that the amniotic fluid replenishes every 24 hours or so, and that I should drink lots of water. I also wanted to tell you that I have a close friend that had PROM and was able to stay in the hospital on bedrest for 7 weeks- she then had a very healthy baby boy after a NICU stay. ??
I totally understand the anxiety and bumps of the car ride to the doctor. That combined with long waits sitting up drive me insane with worry. Perhaps they want to check the amniotic fluid levels and then check for infection while you are there? Try to ascertain if the Tuesday appointment is critical.

Sending lots of positive vibes your way! Stay strong!

DanaS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017 at 09:23 AM »
Hi!

I hope you and your budding family are doing a bit better this morning!

I'm just writing to chime in on my thoughts about going to the US. I completely agree with SuzieQMom - find out why they're doing the ultra sound. I have one every week which seems like overkill, but they were using it to measure whether my cervix was continuing to open and if my "water sac" was moving closer to my cerclage.

If they're trying to get data points for a big picture, going to the appointment might be important.

I live a LONG way away from my OB/MFM office and this works for me. An appointed individual (usually my husband) drives me to the appointment. I am reclining in the car. When we get there, we take a wheelchair to the office and I don't move until they take vitals (urine sample, weight, blood pressure). The process is basically reversed coming back with the goal of walking as little as possible AND being reclined for as long as possible.

Of course - this is just my experience. I hope it helps you make a decision!

Laylasmommies

• Fighting for Layla!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017 at 05:18 PM »
We hit 22 weeks today!! Layla has been kicking like crazy I felt her on the outside! She's had very very little leakage and we have been making sure she's strictly in bed. I moved the bed to the living room for her. They can admit her Saturday so just one more week!!! Can they start steroids at 23 weeks?

DanaS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017 at 05:54 PM »
Congrats on 22 weeks! Not sure about the steroids - maybe someone else can give you more information. Keep taking it one day/week at a time!

SuzieQMom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017 at 01:21 AM »
Congrats on making it to 22! Yes, at my hospital they can start steroids at 23+5. Since it is 2 shots at 24 and 48 hours, it is timed perfectly to coincide with 24 weeks.

Winteriscoming

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017 at 07:41 AM »
You guys are so close to Saturday!!Well done on getting  to 22weeks.
I got my steroid shots at 23+5.
Pprom is so scary but you need to keep faith, have they given you any antibiotics yet?I was put on a 10 day course when mine went at 25+4 and have held out to 28 weeks today.

Laylasmommies

• Fighting for Layla!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017 at 11:06 AM »
Thank you, 23 saturday! woot woot! they are admitting her monday and they said they dont like to give steroids until 24 the longer you wait the more they work. We had a scare yesterday she woke up gushing blood so we ran to the er at 4 am and turns out she has marginal placenta previa on top of the pprom. Good news is her cervix is closed, and the baby has fluid around her face, growing good and is healthy. She is still spotting and its never easy to see blood when your pregnant but were fighting. Layla is a kicker and still very active. Congrats to you too! 28 weeks is awesome thats what we are striving for. Our hospital is a level 3 nicu so we have that on our side as well.