Author Topic: Work from Home on Bedrest?  (Read 175 times)

Candice1313

• View Profile
Work from Home on Bedrest?
« on: May 29, 2017 at 05:26 PM »
Hello-

I have been on bedrest since 19.5weeks. I had an emergency cerclage put in on week 20 because my membranes were hourglassing through the cervix. I am now on week 23 and hopefully have quite a ways to go.

My work recently offered me the option to work from home. I have not given them an answer yet. I would have to use a laptop to do the work.  I can only get up to use the restroom and quick shower every 2-3 days. I stay with my feet above my head laying down the rest of the time. I have not tried to use a laptop in this reclined position yet. I am curious to know if anyone else has tried working from home while on bedrest?

DanaS

• View Profile
Re: Work from Home on Bedrest?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017 at 07:57 PM »
So ... I've been working from home using my laptop. The only major challenges are: 1) the laptop gets hot; 2) after a while even the lightest laptop feels heavy; 3) finding alternate positions to rest the laptop because I don't want it on the baby.

I was able to keep up with a lot of work, but there is also the amount of stress that comes with working from home. I also had my phone with me for meetings, etc.

On days when there wasn't much workload, it was great! On days when there was a lot, I question if the amount of stress I experienced was worth it. That said - it definitely helped to keep me from feeling as depressed/alone/bored/etc.

Sally41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017 at 12:18 AM »
How heavy is your workload? I was working in average 10 hours a day before I ended in hospital bedrest when I was 23 weeks. I could not get a cerclage done, too late and too risky. Chronic stress can induce early labour. So I took the leave. I will only go back to work after childbirth.

If you can only work for 3-4 hours a day, then try it out.

Candice1313

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017 at 05:50 PM »
Thanks! I do question if it will add stress. I wound up ordering an adjustable laptop stand from amazon that I will try out.  I told work that I would let them know if I can work from home after my next checkup appointment on 6/7. This gives me a week to see if I can make a photo album using my laptop first.  I have only been using an iPad so far.

At the moment, I am leaning towards not working from home but I'll see how difficult it is to work the laptop first.

DanaS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017 at 05:52 PM »
Good luck with your decision!