Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: 19 weeks pregnant short cervix, funneling, bedrest & cerclage  (Read 717 times)

Kfontana87

• View Profile
Hello ladies!

Let me tell you a little about myself!

My name is Kathleen I'm 29 years old I've been married to my husband for 9 years, been together for 14 years. We lost our son 4 years ago. I was 19w4d when I delivered him. My water broke at 18w4d I got an infection. Took me four years to get pregnant again, had laparoscopy surgery in Nov '16. Started fertility medication in Jan '17 and got pregnant in Feb '17, fast forward to May 3rd I was feeling a lot of pressure. Went to see my doctors office and found out that my cervix was thinning and also funneling. Have gone through pre term labor in the past, my doctor was worried. So he contacted another doctor who is a high risk doctor as well, and he recommended to put in a cerclage. I also started Makena shot weekly at 16 weeks on 5/16/17 and has the cerclage put in on 5/19/17. Had my first ultrasound since he put in the cerclage. My cervix is still thin and funneling. I'm a nervous wreck, I don't want to lose this baby. It's taken to long to conceive HER, she is doing amazing btw. I had my 19 week ultrasound yesterday. She is growing like she should, I go back in two weeks for another ultrasound. My question is has anyone made it to 37 weeks OR full term, and everything was ok with their baby. I know we are taking every measurement we can, I'm just still a nervous wreck. Need to keep baby girl in for as long as possible. I'm not having any signs of preterm labor, thank god for that!

DanaS

• View Profile
Re: 19 weeks pregnant short cervix, funneling, bedrest & cerclage
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017 at 09:50 PM »
If it helps - I've read about lots of women that have made it to full term with funneling and even membranes bulging. I also have a friend (my "motivational coach" on bedrest) who checks in on me -- she was able to carry her twins to term but she was on bedrest from ...16 or 17 weeks. She didn't have great medical care near her home so she had to stay in a hospital owned apartment where nurses came to check on her, but she carries those kids to term. They're now 4 years old and sweet as pie!  ;D

Kfontana87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017 at 01:38 PM »
That helps a lot! My doctor is very hard to read, so I don't know how to take him. When I went on Monday he said oh you're cervix is still thin & funneling. So it's a good thing the cerclage is in. Ugh so fusterating! I feel like men have no idea what we go through. I've been on bed rest since week 14 and I'm 19w1d today. I would really like to make it to week 37, but I'm so nervous I won't. I'm glad I found this forum. It helps to read about other women who are going through the same things. Are you currently pregnant?

DanaS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017 at 06:07 PM »
I am currently pregnant. I'm on modified bedrest but was on strict bedrest at home from week 20/21 to week 29.

Honestly - my goal was getting to week 24. Amazing things can be done in the NICU after Week 24.

Now I'm almost 30 weeks "ripe" and I must say that reaching week 24 took a HUGE weight off my shoulders. My doctors wanted me to aim for 30 weeks - shortly they'll re-evaluate our plan moving forward. The baby is thriving. My NEW challenge however is having Gestational Diabetes. Since I can't exercise ... we're trying to modify through food alone, but having so little movement through the day doesn't help me keep blood sugar levels down.

My current focus - be happy the baby is healthy and work every day to keep it that way... regardless of when she arrives.

When I was in your shoes, every new day brought with it new terror for me. Advice if you wish to take it: try to keep the really negative thoughts at bay and work on thinking about anything that will help keep your thoughts moving forward. I believe (and my doctor supports this idea) that mental stress can do just as much damage to your efforts as physical stress.

SuzieQMom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017 at 02:03 AM »
Dana- Thanks for sharing your friend's success story with twins. Since I'm expecting twins,  it is always comforting to hear about others that have gone the distance with twins!
I hope the gestational diabetes can be controlled through diet. That is so hard.

Kfontana- I understand the constant anxieties and nerves. I do a lot of reading online and sometimes I have to limit myself because this can trigger thoughts of the worst case scenario. There have been weeks during my bed rest that I have not allowed myself to do research just to give myself a mental break. In my experience, the doctors do not give hope, they usually state facts to prepare me for harsh realities. I go to the hospital for monitoring and every time I get a new doctor, they take one look at my cervix and talk to me as if I'll go into labor any second. I try not to let this increase my stress. It's so hard! But, I totally agree with Dana, they can do amazing things in the NICU!

I'm lucky that I have a friend who had pPROM and stayed in the hospital for 7 weeks. She had a healthy baby boy at 33 weeks. She keeps me positive and cheers me on. She reminds me that thinking about all the things that can go wrong and getting stressed is not a rabbit hole I should go down- it's not productive. It's a blessing to have others to chat with that have had to do bed rest for long periods of time.

You are doing great! So is your baby! Each day counts!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017 at 02:05 AM by SuzieQMom »

K@T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017 at 12:59 PM »
Hi! I'm newbie here, but has been reading this forum for last 10 weeks.
I'm expecting fraternal  twins, boy and girl,, and on hospital bed rest 11 weeks now.
Like you I had a funneling and bulging membrane, all of it has been discovered on anatomical US at 20 and 5days, same day cerclage has been placed, has been on antibiotics for a week. As soon as I stop antibiotics- has a baby A sac raptured at 21 week and 5 days. Stayed at my hometown hospital for 2 more weeks, until bigger facility hospital with a NICU onsite could accept me with a twins viabilities at 24 weeks.
I'm 32 weeks and 1 day today's day keep cooking these babies! ;) sending good vibes your way.

Kfontana87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017 at 03:27 PM »
Dana- That's awesome! My first goal is to hit 24 weeks! That would be 5 more weeks than I was with my son. Everyday I am happy my baby is cooking longer. I've been feeling a lot of pressure in my vagina. I don't know if it's round ligament pains or because I was just in the shower. I know this may sound weird. BUT I rather be in the hospital. Where I'm being warched 24-7. But I don't know when my doctor would admit me. So far my cervix is thin and funneling. Im not sure the measurements. I know things could be so much worse. But I'm doing way more than I was with my son. I go weekly for my Makena injection, I'm on bed rest since 14 weeks & I have the cerclage. I'm very thankful for that. And I agree with you mental stress is the worse. It helps me to hear stories of ladies going to full term or close too! I try to focus on the positive, but I don't want to think everything will be ok and it not. It's a very hard situation. I'm so glad that I have met so many wonderful ladies!

SuzieQ- Hey! I agree thinking negative can be the worse thing and reading online is the worse! They say doctor google isn't the way to go! And I know with a cerclage it won't make things better. But as long as my water doesn't break I think I will be ok. Are you on hospital bed rest? I've heard a lot of great things about babies born earlier and having to be in the NICU. The hospital where I want to deliever doesn't have a NICU. So I would have to go to the hospital where my son was born. But I think you have to be over 24 weeks to deliever there. There's an awesome NICU about an hour from where I live, That was where I was suppose to go with my son but never made it. I'm staying positive this time. We are taking more measurements than last time, so that makes me feel great! And baby girl is doing great! My biggest worry is the further I get along, the more weight the baby puts on, will my cervix be able to hand it. God bless you and you're baby! We have to keep them in for as long as possible!

K@T- Welcome! I love hearing stories of ladies holding their babies in for awhile! I'm glad everything is under control for you! A lot of ladies are having twins! I was worried I would be too. Because hubby and I did fertility shots. I never when it for my follicle study, because hubby had to have emergency surgery on his appendix. But we BD'ed that day and here we are 19w2d late :) Good vibes you're way as well!

SuzieQMom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017 at 08:29 AM »
Welcome K@T!

Have you been in the hospital this whole time? Do you have to lie down all the time? Are you able to sit up at all or go in a wheelchair outside for a few minutes a day?

You've made it a really long time and are doing fantastic! Very encouraging! Let's keep em cookin'!

K@T

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017 at 09:29 PM »
Welcome K@T!

Have you been in the hospital this whole time? Do you have to lie down all the time? Are you able to sit up at all or go in a wheelchair outside for a few minutes a day?

You've made it a really long time and are doing fantastic! Very encouraging! Let's keep em cookin'!

Yes, on bed rest and wheel chair until week 27, after that doctors have me on modified bed rest and walk on my on. 12 weeks at the hospital and only 10 days to go till 34 weeks mark. :D

Kfontana87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017 at 04:49 PM »
Hello ladies!

I had an appointment with my doctor yesterday, baby girl is doing great! I'm 21w1d today. She weights 1 pound already. The ultrasound tech said she is in the 59th percentile for her weight. Around this time 50 is normal. So she's growing like she should! My cervix is still thin it's at 0.9 and still have funneling. I ask my doctor as the baby gains more weight is she going to be putting more pressure on my cervix? And he said yes, and then he said we need at least 8 more weeks. Which would make me around 29 weeks. I hope she stays in there longer, but it's a waiting game from here. I go back in three weeks for another ultrasound and to see my doctor. I will be 24 weeks when I go. Had my Makena shot yesterday also. I go every Tuesday to get it. How is everyone else doing?! Still keeping those babies IN ;)

DanaS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017 at 10:53 AM »
Kfontana87 - congrats on making it to 21 + 2! It's awesome to see you so positive. I'm glad that you're keeping your spirits up! Keep the updates coming!

Kfontana87

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017 at 07:07 PM »
DanaS- Hey girl! Thank you! Now I am 22 weeks today! Still hanging in there :) I saw on a different post you had you're baby girl. How is she doing? How are you doing?

DanaS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017 at 07:37 PM »
Hi Kfontana87 -

Apart from the scary part of her being in the NICU, she seems to be doing well. She's big for 32 weeks (maybe because I had Gestational Diabetes) but they're focusing on her jaundice, feeding, and growing. She was able to breathe room air when she was born so we didn't need respiratory assistance, and she was eating well (suck/swallow coordination) so she didn't need her feeding tube or IV after the first day.

Honestly - I'm grateful for her stability. After having such a rough pregnancy, it's nice to know that she was very much doing well in spite of it all.

Congrats on making it to 22 weeks! What's your next gestation goal?

Kfontana87

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017 at 08:18 PM »
DanaS- I forgot to say in my last post.... CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy she is doing so well. That's awesome! How much did she weight at birth? How many weeks were you? My next goal is 24 weeks! That's my next appointment with my doctor. And my next ultrasound. I got my weekly injection today. I'm so happy that my daughter already weights 1 pound. I'm hoping & praying if she's born early. She will be at least 3 pounds. My doctor wants me to make it to at least 29 weeks. 7 more weeks to go!

Kfontana87

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017 at 11:53 AM »
Hello ladies! I'm still going strong! I will be 29 weeks on Tuesday! Baby girl is doing great! When I went to the doctors 2 weeks ago. She was 2lbs 4oz and was measuring perfect. My cervix is still at .9mm which has been that way since June 20th. I go back this Tuesday for my weekly injection and another ultrasound & prenatal visit. I did my glucose text on August 1st and that came back normal. Thank goodness! Hope everyone is doing great as well!