Author Topic: Progesterone suppositories  (Read 196 times)

Winteriscoming

• View Profile
Progesterone suppositories
« on: June 14, 2017 at 04:07 AM »
Hi mammas,

I just wanted to know how long your doctors kept you on progesterone suppositories for. I've been on them since 23 weeks, now just off 30 and did is talking of stopping them. Is there any medical reason to stop taking them after prolonged use?

Thanks ladies
:)

DanaS

• View Profile
Re: Progesterone suppositories
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017 at 01:13 PM »
I'm still on them.

From what research I can find and have discussed with colleagues, there is no really striking evidence that it does or doesn't help. Depends on your OB or MFM's belief about the research.

Winteriscoming

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017 at 11:39 AM »
Thanks Dana :)

Zoe2017

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017 at 10:54 AM »
I've just been taken off then at 32 weeks....   even when Dr prescribed at 12 wks after cerclage, he said I would only need them until 32

not sure why...  but friend being treated for similar  issues in another country was also advised the same

brittpeltola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017 at 03:57 PM »
Hello!  I am new here, but I am on progesterone suppositories as well.  I have done them in both previous pregnancies with the idea that they would be stopped at 37 weeks.  I didn't make it to 37 weeks with my first, we delivered at 30+6 due to preeclampsia and placental abruption, but I made it to 37+6 with my second and had a successful VBAC.  I just spoke with my doctor about this at my last visit and she is talking about stopping me at around 34 - 35 weeks since she says progesterone can actually make you go over and I cannot be induced due to a previous c-section.  That was surprising to me since I had always heard 37 weeks, but it sounds like things are changing a bit.  I will be 30 weeks tomorrow and am really hoping to make it to 36 weeks this time!  Good luck mama!