Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: Makena injections  (Read 376 times)

littlemamadugan

• View Profile
    • a girl with wishes
Makena injections
« on: July 17, 2017 at 10:54 AM »
I'm no stranger to this site. I am on baby number 5. Baby number 4 came at 31 weeks last year due to heart decels.
I am currently 14 weeks with surprise baby (yes we were using multiple forms of prevention). I received makena injections last year in home. I was told this year by my Dr's nurse that I would have to come in this time around. She's sorry for the inconvenience and I can take it up with the Dr but she doubts he'll change the order.
I am in tears daily. I have been diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum and have an anti nausea pump. My home health nurse wants me on home iv fluids. My Dr refuses to order them because I haven't been to the er enough.
We've told him the reason I don't go to the er is because I don't have a vehicle (husband works out of town and we have no options for daycare---very rural Area).
That being said, he knew I didnt have transportation. I do have Medicaid- however they will not accommodate 3 car seats and two additional seats to bring me to appointments.
So, now, I am at a loss for receiving makena shots after 16 weeks. I feel like my Dr is punishing me for "choosing" to not terminate this baby. He wanted me to get fixed last year and I wouldn't for religious reasons.
I dont want to have a poor me party...I'm just so frustrated that I can't get my Dr to do what we did last year- my insurance hasn't changed, nothing has changed, he just doesn't seem to want to help me. I am so scared.
Lily Angelina -9-11-04 @37weeks induced(10weeks bedrest)
Angel baby- due  4-4-11, miscarriage at 8 weeks
Amelia Mae Rose -7-28-11 @36weeks came on her own!(20weeks bedrest)
Cain Arnold due 8-30-12, born on 8-8-12, 36.6 weeks
Jacob Henry due 9-11-16, born 7-14-16 at 31.4 weeks

FinleysMama2

• View Profile
Re: Makena injections
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017 at 11:04 PM »
My doctor allows my husband to give the injections at home so I don't think it's a new development with the medication, it sounds like it is just your doctor's preference.  I'm not sure why he changed his mind this time, but if your situation is that  intense and he is refusing to accommodate you, it might be time to look for another provider. I know that could be hard since you live in sick a rural area, but maybe you could even look at other provider options, like a midwife. Midwives typically come out to your home to care for you. Think of baby and try not to stress. Best wishes to you

littlemamadugan

• View Profile
    • a girl with wishes
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017 at 09:54 PM »
I am still in the same boat. As of today, I am 16w 5 days and still haven't received my first injection. The hospital said they would call Friday to have me come in. Husband took the day off, the hospital never called, so I called them and they said they'd check and call back. They never called.
I've had contractions off and on all this weekend. I am on at home iv hydration and my home nurse does not understand why I cannot receive my shots at home.
I am so angry and frustrated. I've considered switching service. The next nearest hospital is in another state (we live on the border), its high risk, so thats a plus- but its a little over an hour away on a 2 lane highway that is a PAIN to drive.
Is there someone I can ask to speak to about getting home services? Should I call my insurance first and complain? What do I do?

Ginnynoff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017 at 10:15 PM »
Littlemamadugan did you ever get it figured out? I'm hope it all has gone well. I'm starting my mekena shots in a couple weeks hopefully.

littlemamadugan

• View Profile
    • a girl with wishes
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017 at 01:53 PM »
Yes, I did--thank you for asking!! I ended up switching providers and as soon as I switched everything went smoothly- I'm now almost 30 weeks (on Wednesday) and haven't missed a shot since switching.
Prayers for you as you start this journey. I've found the makena to not be quite as painful as the 17p injections. :)