Author Topic: Bedrest and visitors help!  (Read 227 times)

Mommybee

• View Profile
Bedrest and visitors help!
« on: August 10, 2017 at 01:34 PM »
Hey mamas! I need some advice on how to limit visitors while I'm on bedrest. I hate telling people no, especially when I know they're trying to help. But people come over and want to see the baby's nursery or sit and talk and some stay for over 2 hours! I could handle a half hour visit but these 1-3 hour visits are wearing me out. I typically lay on the couch when visitors are here but it's no where near as comfortable as my own bed. I'm also taking procardia every 6 hours and that medicine makes me so sleepy! I really don't want to sound ungrateful because I know people are trying to help. What's your advice?? Did you have to deal with people over staying their welcome? I don't think others know what bed rest means  :(

Biscuitsmom2b

• View Profile
Re: Bedrest and visitors help!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017 at 06:37 PM »
Hi! Been on bed rest since week 19. I'm almost at week 27 and on hospital bed rest now. To be honest i have been very forward with people and they have all understood. I just tell them if im too tired or just not up for visitors that day. I tell them when they can come and if they are talking for hours I tell them I'm sleepy and that I need to rest to make sure the baby stays strong. I find people are ok with it. Honesty is key and if u soften the blow by being polite they will be grateful you told them. I think people just stay because they think u need the company so it's up to u to tell them what u really need. Hope that helped.

Sally41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017 at 10:31 PM »
I told all my family and friends that I don't want visit from the start. I was in bed 24/7, do all my business in bedpan and no shower at all. So they all understood that I don't want to be seen in that state. So I get lots of messages on my cellphone and very few visit. Now everyone just got used to texting and calling me often and not visit although I have been off bedrest for two weeks.

jensine449

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017 at 10:35 PM »
Oh my gosh, I was the same way when I was on bedrest during #1 (currently on #2 and knock on wood...no bedrest).  Visitors would literally cause me to have more contractions--waiting for them to arrive, the stress, the fears, plus I looked haggard!  I would make people arrange to meet with me and I would tell them to text me that day to see how the day was going. 

Most people visit because they think we want them to.  They want to be helpful and present and show up for us.  When they learn that they are causing more harm than good, they will be embarrassed that you didn't say something!  There were a few times when I had to cancel with people and I'd always ask myself this, "Is it worth it?  Having this visitor if it means that I'm stressed which is not good for the baby or my cervix?" 

Your friends and family love you and will totally understand!  I certainly do and wish you the best!!!