Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: 21 weeks had cerclage at 14 wks but funnelled at 20wk beyond the cerclage.  (Read 340 times)

Sandywats18

• View Profile
I had a cerclage put in at 14wk had a trans v scan at 20k and was told I had funnelled 37mm and beyond the stitch with 9mm closed cervix. Went back at 21 wk (today) and the remaining 9mm has opened, but I haven’t shortened. I stopped working last week and have been on bedrest at home. I’m looking for anyone who is in a similar situation to me.

I have had 2 miscarriages at 18wk 5 and 21wk 4. I’m from the UK so the medical treatment I believe is very different when it comes to high risk pregnancy such as this. I’ve been told this could go either way. I’m looking for some hope. I was filled with hope when I found this website last week but after today’s appointment I’m finding it hard.

Thanks

kelsknob

• View Profile
Hi I am in a similar situation as you. I had an emergent cerclage done at 18 1/2 weeks due to finding my cervix had shortened to 9mm with funneling. After the cerclage I was able to go back to work then 2 weeks later they found I had funneled to my stitch so was put on modified bed rest. Over the past month my cervical length has been up and down. Yesterday when I went in for cervix check I’m funneling/bulging past the stitch. They have now admitted me and I will be on hospital bed rest until delivery. I am currently 23 wk day 3. I think it’s a blessing that we’re on bed rest and we have to know that we are doing all that we can. From what I have been reading and some advice from friends, is to just stay positive and try not to stress. I know easier said than done. I have set goals with the medical staff to help. Our first goal is to get to 24 then one day at a time. Long goal right now is 28 weeks. Are you on any medicine to help the situation? I am so sorry for your previous losses and will be thinking of you and your little one!
Kelsey

Kate369

• View Profile
Hello, I hope my story gives you hope. I know reading others sure helped me through it! My first pregnancy ended at 19 weeks unexpectedly, I went in 7cm dialated and there was nothing we could do by that point. We had no idea at that point why I lost my son, so we decided to try again. My doctors watched me closely with my 2nd pregnancy, at 16 weeks we seen my cervix was already half way shortened, so I had emergency cerclage placed the next morning. I was placed on strict bedrest at home. Over the next month it continued to shorten, by 23 weeks I was to my stitch, no more cervix left. I was very worried and thought to myself it would be anytime. I made it until 32 weeks! My water broke and I went to the hospital, I stayed another week on hospital bedrest and my daughter was born at 33 weeks and 1 day. She was perfect just tiny, 4lbs 9oz. She only stayed 10 days in nicu to learn how to eat good, and now she's thriving at almost 12 lbs :) 17 weeks on bedrest wasn't fun at all, but it was worth it. I am not advised to try again because we are certain I have incompetent cervix. I hope you the best!!!! Prayers for you and sweet baby 
Kate

Sandywats18

• View Profile
Thank you Kate and Kelsknob, for replying. Your stories fill me with hope. Kelsknob, I’m not on any medication as they don’t give anything like that in the UK. It’s a case of ‘wait and see’. I’m due to see the consultant on Wed to check the cervical length. But the membranes are bulging into the vagina now, so I worry about infection which they said they might do a swab. I’m thankful for everyday my baby is still here. The risk I’ve been told is my waters breaking prematurely, which is very scary. I’m hoping to get to 23wk and get the steroid shots then 24 wks then 28wks.

Sending positive vibes your way Kelsknob and what great news, Kate about your daughter.

Sandra

Natlg

• View Profile
Hi Sandra and Kelsey, I’m glad you are both on bedrest, I managed to complete 22 weeks in total with my second pregnancy and now I have got a healthy girl. It is very challenging at times, your on an emotional rollercoaster but you do get through it. Kelsey I set myself goals and milestones to get to, I also developed quite a good routine aswel by the end of it. You both need to just take every day as it comes and wake up feeling happy that you are still pregnant and that you have lasted another day.

I am from the UK aswel, have they put you on any progesterone? I take it now, where abouts do you live?

Kate thanks for sharing your story glad everything turned out good x

Sandywats18

• View Profile
Hi Natig, I’m not on anything. I asked about progesterone at the beginning of the pregnancy and my consultant has said it makes no difference. I live in Sunderland. I’m currently at home on bedrest, which I decided myself and we’re back tomorrow for a 22 wk check. I’m worried about my waters breaking with bulging membranes past the stitch and cervix and infection. I know I just need to make it to 23 to get the steroids and then 24 and hopefully beyond. My husband and I are thinking about asking to stay in hospital depending on tomorrow’s appointment.

Great to hear that you have a healthy baby girl and sending positive thoughts to you all.

Sandra

kelsknob

• View Profile
Kate and Natig, thank you for sharing your stories! It gives me hope, I am 24 weeks today! Celebrating every day and every week. Sandy, I would ask again about progesterone injections or suppositories. I am currently doing progesterone suppositories, my doctors have said they are not sure if they really do help but they want me to do it because it can’t and won’t hurt anything. Sandy - I have been thinking of you and let’s just keep going and keeping our Little’s cooking as long as we can.

Oh also ladies, my doctors have taken me off bed rest. They want me to walk around the hospital obviously not a ton and just listen to my body. This makes me nervous so I’m sitting or laying down most of the time still.