Author Topic: Safety of vistaril  (Read 95 times)

banjo1243

• View Profile
Safety of vistaril
« on: September 27, 2017 at 07:58 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm new here. I was admitted to the hospital at 23 weeks 6 days for preterm labor. It does not appear cervical insufficiency was the cause, but my cervix was shortened by contractions that were effective enough to cause me to dilate. They managed to stop labor at the hospital with magnesium and indocin. They also started offering vistaril to me, to help with uterine irritability. I stayed in the hospital 10 days; I'm now home and 25 weeks 4 days.

My question is: what experiences do you have with vistaril? The doctors assured me up and down that it is safe, and that it has been prescribed for 40+ years for circumstances like mine. But, I have since read that it is a category C drug, and have heard from one OBGYN who said she does not prescribe it, has not encountered it in her career, and that it is not an evidence-based intervention.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Safety of vistaril
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017 at 02:58 PM »
Welcome to the group!

Strangely enough, I have never heard of Vistaril in my nine years of running this site. Did they tell you how it works or what it is supposed to do?

Most often I see nifedipene being prescribed for uterine irritability. Take a look at this page for info about nifedipine and some other medications that have been used to treat preterm labor: http://www.keepemcookin.com/educate-yourself/prevention-treatment/treating-preterm-labor/

Did they tell you the length of your cervix? Are you happy to be back at home? Are you settling into a routine?

banjo1243

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017 at 05:16 PM »
Hi! I have found a couple of mentions of vistaril on this site, but no one has discussed safety. It is actually an antihistamine, but it also relaxes muscles, and is sometimes used as an anxiolytic, or to help people fall asleep. I have only needed it for the uterine irritability. In the past week, I have maybe taken it once, so I'm not needing it much now.

I am working 16 hrs/week from home, and am trying to establish a do-able routine with that. I have pretty good energy most days, but am trying not to overdo it.

My cervix was dilated to 1cm when I got to the hospital, but was only a fingertip width when I left, since I had not consistently been contracting anymore. It measured 2-2.5 cm in my ultrasound at the hospital, but the MFM who reviewed the images said what she saw was more like 7mm of functional cervical length. They did not re-measure the length before I left. I have been home on modified bedrest since 9/25 and so far things are going well. I will be 27 weeks tomorrow! Grateful for each day.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017 at 03:31 PM »
Congrats on 27 weeks! That's good to hear that things have settled down for you. Getting into a routine is good, too. Many ladies have said the sooner they got into a routine the easier it was. Maybe it's about setting expectations for the day, or just getting used to the idea of letting go of your "normal" life for a bit. That's great that you can still do some work for home. Is it giving you a chance to stay in touch with co-workers? At least it's a chance to take your mind off of things. Positive thoughts coming your way!