Author Topic: Doctors pushing me to get up now?  (Read 56 times)

mkille

• View Profile
Doctors pushing me to get up now?
« on: October 06, 2017 at 08:45 PM »
Hi all: anyone else been on strict hospital bedrest before due to failed cerclage and then pprom? I was admitted at 26 weeks and on strict hospital bed rest. Last week, at 28 weeks I PPROMed. Now, the doctors and nurses are all being VERY insistent that I get up now to use the bathroom (been using a bed pan).

I'm really concerned and worried about getting up even if it's just for quick bathroom breaks. What I don't understand is, my incompetent cervix is still there. It hasn't gone away, so why would I standing up and putting all the weight of the baby on my cervix?! I don't understand why the big focus was to not put weight on my cervix before but somehow that has new changed because I PPROMed? Anyone else experience a similar scenario? I've asked the doctors and the nurses but they all say " well, a quick trip isn't going to change anything". Ok. But then again, why wasn't that the case before when I was on strict hospital bed rest??

banjo1243

• View Profile
Re: Doctors pushing me to get up now?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017 at 03:19 PM »
I am unsure if this research applies to PPROM, but a big study done within the past few years showed that strict bed rest actually resulted in worse outcomes than for those who were allowed to do routine activities. My understanding is, regular contractions will dilate your cervix, but gravity will not. However, like I said, I don't know if this is different in cases of PPROM. Best of luck to you!