Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Cervical lengths?  (Read 11895 times)

hoping4fullterm

• View Profile
Cervical lengths?
« on: June 17, 2010 at 02:08 AM »
Just wondering some things for those who have experience with having cervical lengths measured.
So, since DD was born at 26 weeks, we're checking cervical lengths every 2 weeks this pregnancy. We stared at 18 weeks. At 18 & 20 weeks, my cervix was 4.1.-4.4 cm which we were very happy with I wasn't scheduled to go in until next week at 22 weeks, but I went in today because I've been freaking out & driving myself crazy here at home while on bedrest (due to placenta placement). I keep thinking I'm contracting, but not 100% sure, have had a backache & achy in my perineum area.
So I went in, no contractions after 30 minutes on the monitor :)  Did another cervical length & I'm not sure if the U/S tech took more than one measurement like they usually do, but she said I was at 3.9 cm. She also took a measurement as I was bearing down & that was 3.5 cm.
My usual OB was out of the office & the nurse said since everything looked OK, I didn't need to see anyone else, but did get a phone call from one of the other OB's to follow up after I got home. She said they recorded my cervical length at 3.5 cm & they were still happy with that.
I'm just wondering how much others have seen in variation from check to check. I was wishing to still be > 4 cm at this point so I'm a bit disappointed, but wondering if it's normal to have variation like this - maybe I'll be >4 at the check next week?
Do you think it's normal to have the cervix shorten like it did for me when bearing down - I think of every time I cough or have a BM that my cervix is shortening
I will have another check next week at 22 weeks & will get to see my usual OB so hopefully will get some more answers then.

The only reference point I have is here from Keepemcookin.com  :) :

* At 16 to 20 weeks, normal cervical length is 4.0 to 4.5 cm
    * At 24 to 28 weeks, normal cervical length is 3.5 to 4.0 cm
    * At 32 to 36 weeks, normal cervical length is 3.0 to 3.5 cm

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Cervical lengths?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010 at 07:40 PM »
Hi! It sounds like your cervix is holding up very well. Yay! The cervix is "dynamic," meaning it is okay to see the small variations like you have. And it is totally normal for it to shorten when you bear down (and then lengthen), so no worries there either!

It sounds like your OB is very on the ball, doing length checks every couples of weeks. And good for you for staying aware of any preterm labor symptoms you may be experiencing. Did you see this page on preterm labor symptoms: http://www.keepemcookin.com/symptoms.aspx

These next couple of length checks should be especially helpful in determining what actions to take (if any), such as continuing bedrest, 17P injections and/or anti-contraction medications. You probably saw on KeepEmCookin.com that a short cervical length between 14 weeks and 24 weeks is a strong predictor of preterm birth:

* Length less than 1 cm: Mean birth gestational age 32 weeks
    * Length less than 1.5 cm: Mean birth gestational age 33 weeks
    * Length less than 2 cm: Mean birth gestational age 34 weeks
    * Length less than 2.5 cm: Mean birth gestational age 36.5

Please let me know how your appointment goes this week, okay? And on another optimistic note, I have seen many women have their placenta previa resolve on its own. Have faith!  :D

--Angela

hoping4fullterm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM »
Thanks for your input Angela!  I appreciate what you shared!
I have looked at the symptoms of PTL several times here on keepemcookin :)  Part of why I went in last week.  It's just hard because some of them can be so vague in nature.  I so often have pressure, etc in my abdomen that I fear is contractions & strange sensations in my vagina/perinuem area....
I had read that the length at 24 weeks was a good indicator of preterm birth.  I hadn't seen the breakdown for cervical lengths at 24 weeks as you listed, so thanks!!
I'm anxiously awaiting this week's appt - it's on Wednesday so will update after that!

hoping4fullterm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010 at 01:24 PM »
So I had my appt yesterday....I put an update in over on the bedrest forum....forgot I had a topic going over here too...
Well, like I said earlier, 2 weeks ago my cervix was 4.1 - 4.4 cm.  Yesterday it was 3.3 cm.  I don't like that change!!  My OB told me that as long as it was above 3.0 cm she was happy.  I mentioned the breakdown listed here on keepemcookin & she said she'd never heard of it broken down in that manner from week to week.  My mom (also a nurse)  was with me at the appt too & she asked if the info here was "medially backed or evidence based practice"?  I said I wasn't sure.  So for these reasons I will stay off work & on bedrest for the next few weeks - my OB said maybe we could reconsider at 28 weeks depending how things are going. 
The original reason for putting me on bedrest was for possible placenta previa or vasa previa but that must have just due to positioning on the scan 2 weeks ago b/c it was not a problem at all this time.  So I can cross that one off my worry list!!!
Here's to baking MANY more weeks!!!