Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 23 weeks and high risk - don't know what is happening  (Read 675 times)

Lilie

• View Profile
23 weeks and high risk - don't know what is happening
« on: November 12, 2017 at 07:13 PM »
Hi ladies,

I've found so many of your stories here encouraging and also very helpful to try and understand what is happening to me.
I have been on modified bedrest in the first trimester, because of two small placenta detachments,which have since healed (or so we thought) so I went back to work.

Week 19 I started bleeding heavily in the middle of the night. It was scary and I was traveling at the time so had to go to the maternity of the nearest hospital to find out if the tiny lady was still OK... She was but I had a large sub chorion bleed. I don't really know what it is, but it's been explained as a bleed between the placenta and the amniotic membrane. I was told to rest.

Back home I checked in with my Dr who put me on bedrest but told me not to worry too much, my cervix was still closed and 3.8cm

Check up a week later showed that the cervix was shortened to 3.3 cm and slightly open. I was put on strict bedrest (toilet "privileges" only) and have to take progesterone and magnesium. Apparently my uterus is contracting because of the blood, which is now surrounding most of the amniotic sack. And the blood also weakens the membranes. I'm really scared.

The little lady moves around a lot when my uterus is relaxed, but is still and scrunched up the rest of the time.

I was told to go to hospital if I have any pain or further bleeding. I don't know what constitutes "pain" exactly. My uterus is uncomfortable nearly 50% of the time, especially at night, but the pain is not as much as period cramps... So does that mean its OK? I feel it tightening up all the time. It's hard but not painful.

Is there any way of recognising if my cervix is shortening further or opening? Can you feel it when it happens? I just don't know how to recognise if I have to go to hospital or not... So I lie in bed obsessing over every twinge or pain not knowing what it means...

Any advise from you dear ladies would be much appreciated - even if it's just to tell me to stop being a wuss.

I have a lot of respect for the stories and strength I read about on these posts, thank you for sharing. And sorry this is such a long rant..

Xx 

SamRose

• View Profile
Re: 23 weeks and high risk - don't know what is happening
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017 at 08:57 PM »
I had sch from week 8-16. I was on strict bedrest whenever there was active red bleeding and modified when it was spotting or brown. It did go away my high risk ob described mine as the layer between the amniotic sac and placenta separating and that area needed to fill up with something so it filled with blood. It eventually fused back together and all the blood reabsorbed or found its way out. It was scary but women with extremely large tears go on to delivery happy healthy babies.

As for the shortening cervix, you unfortunately don’t feel it getting shorter or opening up. It just needs to be monitored and measured via ultrasound. There are lots of success stories on here about bedrest buying you more oven time. As for what pain requires you to go to the hospital, I would ask your ob specifically what you should be on alert for. Period cramps and lower back pain from what I’ve read are the common descriptions for labor pains.

Hang in there!

Mlondono731

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017 at 01:08 AM »
Hi :)

I had a subchorionic hematoma from week 8 to 13. I had very heavy bleeding for most of it. When it first happened I was hemorrhaging so badly they prepped me for surgery in the ER. I had an elective cerclage at 13 weeks and gave birth at 35 weeks 6 days. It was nerve racking when I bled because it was so heavy and my cervix being short. My obgyn sucked and was pretty grim about my situation for most of my pregnancy. My daughter is now 3 months and doing great. I was not placed on bedrest with the hematoma. My doctor didn’t believe in bedrest but recommended it I believe around week 18/19 because my cervix continued to shorten despite the cerclage.

Sending you positive thoughts and energy mama. X

Mariluz
Best Regards,

M.L.

Lilie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017 at 06:46 AM »
Thank you for your stories! I know I'm not alone in this situation. It is so helpful and encouraging to read your posts.

So Happy your daughter is doing well!

I'm hoping with bed rest that everyday I'm getting better and better, so the little lady can keep growing.

I would love to keep her to full teem, but don't if that's a realistic hope. Still, the whole process of creating a human is such an unlikely magical thing, what's one more miracle :)

Lots of love to you ladies x