Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bed rest at 20 wks, Contractions with no dilating  (Read 4200 times)

1sttimemom

• View Profile
Bed rest at 20 wks, Contractions with no dilating
« on: June 19, 2010 at 09:44 AM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Ashley and here is a short version of my story. :)

I went in to my Dr. at 20 wks exactly with weird pains and I was having contractions at 1.5 mins apart. This is my first pregnancy, and needless to say I was terrified. I was sent over to the hospital where my husband and I stayed for 4 days and then sent home taking Procardia. After 5 trips to the hospital in a month and a weekly visit to my High Risk Dr., it has been draining to say the least. The great part is that my cervix is measuring above 3.4 sometimes more, and with having contractions 30 seconds apart last week, it is good to know my cervix is holding up. I am a little worried that my Dr. isn't going to go into "action mode" until I actually dilate, but I'd rather prevent that all together! I am now on the Home Uterine Monitor and will be on 17p shots starting next week. I'm almost 25 weeks along now and have been on bed rest since week 20. I have never had to deal with something so emotionally draining and scary, but through prayer and faith I trust that everything will be okay. I would love to find others in my situation, and hear your stories. My biggest fear is that these contractions (which aren't really slowing down much) will eventually cause me to go into labor very early. I was diagnosed with irritable uterus, and there is no other reason for these contractions, according to my Dr.

I feel so disconnected on bed rest, but everytime I feel my baby boy move and kick I remember why I am doing this, and that is all more than worth it. :)

newfreezer

• View Profile
Re: Bed rest at 20 wks, Contractions with no dilating
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010 at 10:58 AM »
HI Ashley,

This is my first pregnancy, and we're having a girl. I'm 23 weeks and was put on strict bed rest at 20. I'm on procardia, too.  Still trying to gain my bearings with the whole bed rest thing. I have a short cervix and spent a week in the hospital. Cervix is still short but stable. Like you said, the worst part of it all is the fear or worry that goes along with such complications. I try not to worry, but I do.  There's a lot to complain about, too, (and some days I feel  little more jealous or resentful than other days) but I try to be thankful for each day as it means one more day of fetal development. Each day is just one day closer to hopefully meeting my healthy baby girl.

1sttimemom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010 at 01:07 PM »
Hi! Sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. I wish I was a "normal" incubator. It is hard to not get resentful and stay positive, that has been one of the biggest struggles. It's hard to try to get other's to understand, even my husband, who is so sweet and wonderful. I think I have had to "grief" in a way the loss of what I thought pregnancy would be......cute clothes and registering, and being around so people could touch my belly, etc. At the end of the day, I'm glad to be able to even get pregnant, and I know this will pass and seem like a little blip in life, but it's so hard in the moment.

Thanks for letting me know about your story, hope you have a great and calm weekend :)

Luvmytieren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010 at 05:01 PM »
Ladies, welcome to both of you!  I am so glad you found this site so soon!  Having other moms in similar situations to talk to is a HUGE help!  I am currently 28 weeks and have been on bed rest since I hemmoraged and had to head to the hospital at 13 weeks.  I will be on bed rest until I deliver or until I hit 36 weeks (full lung development) whichever comes first.  I have had hemmoraging, blood clots, blood pooling in the lining of my uterus, and Placenta Previa.  My baby maker is a hot mess!  I think each woman here can relate to each of the things you are feeling.  We have all been through it.  This is my 3rd and I still mourn the loss of the "normal pregnancy" things like shopping, going to Target to register, and just walking around showing off my belly!  My other 2 boys were both born in thier 37th week but I only had modified bed rest from 34 weeks with the 2nd.  Doing bed rest from 13 weeks has been a challenge! My suggestion is to start a blog where you can post about how you feel, what your experience is, and post pics.  Here's a link to my blog.  Read through the posts.  Some of it may sound familiar  ;)  http://thegoodthebadthefamily.blogspot.com/ 
Hang in there ladies!  We will all make it!  And when you are holding your baby in your arms, trust me, you won't mind what you've gone through to get them!  In the mean time, feel free to be mad about the situation, stressed, sad, etc.  It's a personal thing that people can't understand until they do it.  It will get better I promise!

Margaret

1sttimemom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010 at 10:03 PM »
Thanks Margaret, and I will have to check out your blog. 13 weeks.....wow you have come a long way since then! Thank you for the encouragement and you are one brave and awesome woman for doing this 3 times. I'm already convinced our next child will be adopted, lol! No really, this little boy is already so worth every minute of the bed rest.

hoping4fullterm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010 at 02:56 PM »
Hi, I was recently told that I have an irritable uterus as well. 
My 1st was born at 26 weeks 5 days; I was just in the hospital a few days ago too, the day I hit 24 weeks with contractions.  My cervical length has maintained & my cervix is firm & closed, so since there are no changes there, they are calling it IU.  I pushed to get something to help ease them, and have been on procardia for a few days now.  This seems to help, thank goodness!  It is a relief both physically & mentally!!  I just couldn't get it out of my head that this was the same way things started when problems started w/ my 1st pregnancy & couldn't handle contracting that much.  The whole IU is scary to me - not knowing when it's real or when it might start affecting my cervix :(
So we're not alone out here :)